Spey line

Old October 8th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Skipper

Default Spey line

This year has been my first fishing for salmon on the fly here in Ireland. I
was fishing with a Daiwa Lochmore Z 15' #9/#10 rod and Rio's Windcutter
Interchangeable Tips system Spey line.

Only at the very end of the season did I discover from a fellow angler that
the Rio line I was using has a floating tip 2 AFTM sizes lower than the
rating of the body. This probably explains why I had so much trouble loading
the rod to shoot a good distance of extra line. This problem doesn't occur
when using the intermediate or sinking tips as they are of a higher AFTM
rating.

Can anybody suggest an alternative #10 Spey line that would be forgiving
over the amount of line out of the tip ring for casting. My technique isn't
great and although I'm able to Spey cast very long lines, I have trouble
with shooting line out. Also, would it be worth upping my line to a #11? -
the Lochmore Z is a very slow rod and hard to load.

Many thanks for any help that can be offered.

--

Skipper

***** WARNING - SPAMBUSTER IN OPERATION

***** Replace 'mapson' with 'boatskipper' to reply

Old October 12th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Peter Charles

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 14:35:17 +0100, "Skipper"
wrote:

[...]

I have the Lochmor X 9 wt. and it works very well with the Airflo
Delta Spey 9/10. I'm not a big Windcutter fan (it was my first spey
line) and I found the Delta Spey and Delta Long Spey to be far better
lines than the WC. The Deltas concentrate proportionally more of
their grain weight in the front half of the line, making them a more
fishable line.

If you're looking at shooting line, consider the X 9 or 10 wt.
instead. These are faster rods and they shoot very well. I wouldn't
look to shoot a great deal of line on the Z model -- consider the long
bellied lines instead.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharl...ers/index.html
Old October 13th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Skipper

Peter,

Thank you so much for your advice.

Having only spent quite a lot getting myself set up properly for this year,
I can't really justify trading in my Lochmore Z. However, I see your point
about using a longer bellied line to compensate for the Z's poor abilities
when shooting line. I think this is the route I will follow next season.

Many thanks,