7' baitcasting rod...

Old February 19th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Vincent.

Default 7' baitcasting rod...

Hi,

New on this news... I am searching to buy a new casting rod, but here in
Europe, this is very difficulte to find baitcasting items.
At least, the solution for me is to order this rod on one of the websites
like Cabelas, BassPro...
If I start to understand amerian's rods caracterics between M, MH, fast,
extra fast, the only thing is that I can't have any idea is the quality of
manufacture and the ratio price/quality of the rods, without having it in
hand...
I am waiting for a exposure/show around here to find it but I am not sure to
find the rod of my dreams...
So, which are the best rods to buy in the big choises of the websites, in
term of quality/manufacture/price? Which are the best sellers? Then I'll be
able to restrict my choises...

Thanks in advance,

Vincent.

Old February 19th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Vincent." wrote in message
[...]

Vincent,

There are many good rod companies. G. Loomis, All-Star, Falcon, Shimano and
of course my favorite, St. Croix. I've been a St. Croix fan for years,
finding them to be a good rod for a decent price.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old February 19th, 2004, 01:48 PM
AJH

CastAway and Daiwa rods are very good also..Many guys like Bass Pro
Shops rods, I don't like the "power Hump" handles but that's a personal
choice..

Old February 19th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Vincent.

There are many good rod companies. G. Loomis, All-Star, Falcon, Shimano
and
of course my favorite, St. Croix. I've been a St. Croix fan for years,
finding them to be a good rod for a decent price.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

For sure a name has a French consonance like "St Croix" Is for me very
attractive... ;-)
But at least, I am not much more advanced... :-)
Isn't it any rod "best seller", or use by many anglers? For sure you have
more choise than us in France but as reference spinning rod we have some
particular ones like the Shimano's: Diaflash, Nexave, or Hurrican...

Vincent.

Old February 19th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Vincent.

"AJH" wrote in message
CastAway and Daiwa rods are very good also..Many guys like Bass Pro
Shops rods, I don't like the "power Hump" handles but that's a personal
choice..

Well... :-s I will try to ask it different... :-)
Is there any website where I can find some rod tests and critical to have
more informations about some rods... some testimony of a try by
professionnal anglers to have something more explicit than the little
commercial text we can find on the site of sale...
I have seen than some of you have personnal website dedicated to fishing...
Could I find some comparative tests of items on it? Is it usual by on your
premise?

Vincent.

Old February 19th, 2004, 03:38 PM
AJH

I would not rely on test information from professional anglers, Most are
sponsored and are selling rods.
The guys on this news group will give you good recommendations, What are
you going to use the rod for? How much do you want to spend?

Old February 19th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Vincent.

"AJH" wrote in message
I would not rely on test information from professional anglers, Most are
sponsored and are selling rods.

Mmmmh not false this... :-s

The guys on this news group will give you good recommendations,

Yep!... How happy I am, I recover there friendship of my usuals news... ;-)

What are you going to use the rod for?

For the most: fishing!... :-)))
In fact and seriously, I track pikes from a boat in the reserve of a
stopping of the Rhone usualy, and sometime in Alpen lakes like Le Bourget,
the biggest natural lake of France. I like to go to in places encumbers with
wood or underwater vegetation for some short and precis casts... Most of the
catches are pikes around 2.5ft and very irritated... :-) I use for the most
softbaits natural shad 1/3OZ, spinnerbaits 1/2OZ, and some big stickbaits
like sammy or gunnish in "walking the dog" (I love this WAWLAOOOOFFF! up on
the water when pikes attack... :-)... I like to have a fast action of the
rod and look for a 1OZ rod I think... For the moment I have a Shimano
Diaflash 210 "M" spinning rod 1OZ which has a progressive action, and two
Garbolino casting: one 6' 1OZ and the other 6.6' 1 1/2 OZ (don't search,
they are a frenches ones... :-) witch have extra fast actions... I think I
need a fast action 1OZ... and I like 7' rods... but
I didn't use the castings for the moment (I recieve my Curado 201B today...)
to know more... it will try them this week-end... :-)))

How much do you want to spend?

The price is not so important if the rod deserves it but I'd rather be under
$200... that is enough, I must add shipping price after... :-s

Vincent.

Old February 19th, 2004, 06:01 PM
AJH

Looks like you have Shimano rods available, as Steve indicated they are
good rods, maybe a med-heavy Shimano rod would be good for your type of
fishing..

Old February 19th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Joe

*Snip*
"I have seen than some of you have personnal website dedicated to fishing...
Could I find some comparative tests of items on it? Is it usual by on your
premise?

Vincent.

I think our new European friend is trying to relate their rod action
measurements to ours. I remember from old In-Fisherman stories that the euro
style is by lbs. 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 and so on. Vincent, if I am right on this I
suspect you could start by writing down your lowest rod weight class and
labeling it UL or ultra light and go up from there. Better yet e-mail
Shimano or one of the other international companies and ask is they have
comparison charts. Whew, I probably should have said that first. Good luck!
Joe Z.

Old February 19th, 2004, 11:06 PM
\The Shadow\

Vincent , As a custom rod builder I am going to something that I rarely do.
That is recommend store brought rods.

Given the type of fishing that you do, And actually having done a bit of
background research these arethe rods that I would rcommend. Especially for
that new Curaod 201.

A) G.Loomis MBR845C a 7'0" GL3 class
this rod says it will handle up to 20 lb. test line, it also says that it is
a fast action heavy power blank. Probably closer to medium heavy in my
opinion.

B) G.Loomis MUR844C-MB a 7'0" this blank weighs in at 9.77oz. handles
17-40lb. test line. Has fast action and Heavy power.

C) Shimano Compre CPC70H &'0" Fast Action Heavy
power list price is $89.99 US dollars.

Again , these are the rods that "I" would recommend to you as a custom rod
builder.Hope that this can help narrow your search!

--
D. Norton
"The Shadow"