Bank Fishing...Q&A

Old March 20th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Mike Makela

Default Bank Fishing...Q&A

Still fascinated from my experiences bank fishing last year on the Western
Clave and wondering a few things..

Are the fish generally holding tight to the bank parallel to the current, or
are they more perpendicular? Guess the reason I'm asking is the approach.
Is it better to approach from downstream, or more of an angle from the bank?

Also, any tips on how to keep them from heading back into the bank once
hooked? I was lucky enough to be able to untangle two that had hung
themselves up in roots and debris, but I think everyone one of the fish that
I caught in that classic bank position went right back where they came from.
I could feel them shaking their heads and I think they actually were rubbing
the bank with the intent on freeing themselves.

It was quite an experience and one of the premium pieces of advice I could
give as a novice would be to carry a net (one that's not haunted...),

The Finn

P.S. Someone just smoked UConn, should be good discussion for Penn's
Clave...

Old March 21st, 2005, 06:54 AM
Mike Connor

"Mike Makela" ten.tsacmoc@alekamm wrote in message
SNIP
Are the fish generally holding tight to the bank parallel to the current,

or
are they more perpendicular? Guess the reason I'm asking is the

approach.
Is it better to approach from downstream, or more of an angle from the

bank?

SNIP

Trout often hold and feed as close to the bank or other structure as they
can get. It does not really matter how you approach them, as long as you do
it carefully, but the best chances of hooking such fish is either from
directly above them on the same bank, or directly below them on the same
bank. If you are directly below them, then a curve cast or other tricks,
such as bouncing a hopper off the bank above them, are required.

One must avoid lining the fish.

It you are obliged to cast across river, ( on a small river especially), it
should be remembered that you can also easily spook fish holding directly
under your feet. Also, keep your cast low, and at as oblique an angle to
the bank as possible. This may only give you a short drag free drift, but
is the best chance.

At acute angles from below, the "flash" of the flyline, ( so avoid false
casting as well!) may be enough to spook the fish. Even from above, one must
be careful.

TL
MC