Fly Fishing from the bank - is it done?

Old November 4th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Bob Stady

Default Fly Fishing from the bank - is it done?

Hello All,

I know nothing about fly fishing but my brother-in-law is coming out here
to fish and I thought I would try to learn something before he gets here.
So I signed up for a course and I just took my first fly fishing class last
night (first of 5 in the course). And I had a question that only occurred
to me after I left.

In the course they talked about rods, reels, line, and waders. When
talking about the waders they told some horror stories about people fishing
in cold water in the wrong gear and getting hypothermia and the like. On
the way home I got to wondering why you wouldn't just fish from the shore
if the water was really cold. So my question is: is it possible to fly
fish from the shore/bank or do you have to be in the water to fly-fish.
They did mention being in the boat but most of discussion seem to center
around standing in the water and how there are a number of dangers - like
hypothermia or falling over and getting water in the waders and the like.

TIA
Bob
Old November 4th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Frank Reid

Well, don't know about falling over or hypothermia, but I do know that most
of the places I fish have trees and bushes along the shore. You need to get
out into the water to be able to cast.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Old November 4th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Daniel-San

"Bob Stady" wrote...
[...]

Last weekend on the upper Manistee, I fished prolly 80-90% in the water.
Last few days on the PM, I fished 75% out of the water. Depends on the
banks, water depth, fish 'spookiness', etc., etc., etc.,

Dan

Old November 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Ken Fortenberry

Bob Stady wrote:
Hello All,
... So my question is: is it possible to fly
fish from the shore/bank or do you have to be in the water to fly-fish.
They did mention being in the boat but most of discussion seem to center
around standing in the water and how there are a number of dangers - like
hypothermia or falling over and getting water in the waders and the like.

One of the most common newbie mistakes is excessive wading.
It's not only possible to fish from the bank it should be
your default position if at all possible. A lot of times,
of course, it's not possible to get a good cast to a spot
without getting your feet wet but if you can manage it
you'll spook far fewer fish crawling around on the bank than
you will standing in the middle of the stream.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old November 4th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Frank Reid" wrote in message

Well, don't know about falling over or hypothermia, but I do know that
most of the places I fish have trees and bushes along the shore. You need
to get out into the water to be able to cast.
--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Although I prefer wadding, it is possible to fly-fish from the bank, the
most common cast believe it or not is not up in the air, but it's the
rollcast. Beautiful cast when done right. 40-60ft rollcast are not uncommon,
and like other casting strokes, it takes a lot of practice.
-tom

Old November 4th, 2005, 05:30 PM
William Claspy

On 11/4/05 10:22 AM, in article , "Frank
Reid" wrote:

Well, don't know about falling over

SPLORK!

:-)

Bill

Old November 4th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Frank Reid

"Frank Reid" wrote:

Well, don't know about falling over

SPLORK!

It was the goat, damn it!

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Old November 4th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Wayne Knight

Bob Stady wrote:

So my question is: is it possible to fly
fish from the shore/bank or do you have to be in the water to fly-fish.

It will depend on the water you are fishing, most bigger rivers, small
river with varying current seams, or various differing lies in the
water almost always require a wade to get in the best position to
deliver the fly. Other streams, particularly small foothill type
streams or the spring creeks common to the driftless area of Wisconsin,
wading is often counterproductive.