River Flyfishing Home Counties

Old September 9th, 2006, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Steven Crook

Default River Flyfishing Home Counties

Derek Moody wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:

Hello,

I am moving back to the UK from the US. Not sure where yet, but near
London. What's foremost on my mind is where am I going to fish? After
browsing the web for some nice river fly fishing anywhere near where I
may end up I am in a near panic. I can't afford to spend 150 quid for a
day on the river or have the time to drive all the way to south Wales.
Any tips anyone?

Yes. Don't go to London - too many other people wanting to fish see?

How far is 'Near?' - or do you measure it in commuting time?

The nearest good quality, relatively cheap and not oversubscribed wild
trout river fishing would be the Kennet or better the Salisbury area (Avon
and tribs). The Chiltern waters are horribly overpriced and the Hampshire
rivers are both overpriced and overstocked.

There are some artificial looking waters in Surrey, I was invited to fish a
so-called chalk stream stretch of the Wey once but I took one look at the
hulking rainbows in there and declined.

Cheerio,

Hi,

The Salisbury Club has some excellent bits of river but the
waiting list is around 4 years at the moment.
I hear of people having membership of little clubs and
consortia but I would be surprised if you could tap into
this from London. It is not what you know but who you know
that counts.
http://www.salisburydistrictac.co.uk

Some nice still waters in this direction too. My fave is
Holbury Lane Lakes near Romsey. They have river too but
budget £30 or so per visit...

http://www.holburylakes.co.uk/

Regards,
Steve Crook
Salisbury, UK

Old September 9th, 2006, 05:37 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Derek Moody

In article , Steven Crook
wrote:

The Salisbury Club has some excellent bits of river but the
waiting list is around 4 years at the moment.

That's the premium membership list. They (you?) run a split-level club
where those who want to pay more for access to some classic water
effectively subsidise the plebs who settle for the bits where other fish
swim alongside the spotty ones. The mixed list is open and includes some
nice flyfishable water - but it's not exclusive - on a weekend or a school
holiday you might encounter coarse anglers of the sit-down-on-a-basket style
but they won't mind if you don't.

(There are a few bits of water available on a day ticket if you want a
taster.)

Once 'in' you can apply to upgrade if you like but iIrc the biggest
trout are in the mixed sections feeding on dace and roach.

And it was -flyfishing- rather than game fishing that the OP was looking for
so dace, chub and pike might be just as acceptable even if tecnically OT
here.

I know if I lived a little closer I'd join like a shot but in order to get
to Salisbury I have to cross the Stour which always looks so fishy I just
have to stop and check...

I hear of people having membership of little clubs and
consortia but I would be surprised if you could tap into
this from London. It is not what you know but who you know
that counts.

http://www.salisburydistrictac.co.uk

OK, tough towards London but there are lots of little bits of water worth
seeking out on day tickets or even, sometimes, free once you get clear of
the major conurbations. There's one free section not very far from you
where I've taken several wild brownies over 2lb with a best of 5.5lb - (no
I'm not daft enough to tell where on a public ng) - two or three a year
among other mixed catches - we don't flog the water but drop in for an hour
sometimes on the way to other waters.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old September 15th, 2006, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Alec Powell

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Andy Lawson, gave forth these words of wisdom:
Hi Robert,

Once you've completed your move back to the UK and if you're within
reasonable travelling distance to West Oxfordshire, drop a note back on
this NG and I'll pass on my contact details. I'm the membership
secretary for a small club fly fishing in on the River Windrush between
Witney and Minster Lovell, Oxfordshire. Approx 3/4 mile single bank and
wet & dry fly fishing for Brown Trout. Season is from April 1st to
September 30th. Cost currently £75 per season.

Regards,

Andy Lawson

And might I add that it is worth every penny. We've had some good days
there!
Are we going to get a last bash before the end of the season Andy?
Off from 24th to 30th!
Cheers,
Alec
--
Alec Powell

(Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards)

Watlington
Oxfordshire
UK

Old September 16th, 2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Andy Lawson

"Alec Powell" wrote in message
[...]

Oooo I think I could be persuaded ;o)

I can't go weekdays though as I've no leave left. Could probably do 24th or
30th though?

ATB,
--
Andy Lawson