Bad Hare Day

Old July 7th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Stephen Welsh

Default Bad Hare Day

I've found the method I normally use for determining the the amount of
hair to use on say a Humpy body or calftail wing, (eye of hook diameter
size clumps) just isn't precise enough anymore.

Anyone know a quick way to count the deer hair fibres to be used over the
back of a humpy? I've found that the natural hairs tend to vary in
diameter along their length, (don't get me started on the oval cross-
section stuff ...sheesh), this can present problems when calibrating an
automatic counting system. Just where do you use the micrometer to
measure the diameter? At the approximate tie-in point? I looked this up
in the "Benchside Reference" and couldn't find any info on it. I wonder
why.

Anyway, after the count is complete (I manually add/remove hairs to get
the right number) a sub-sonic vibration system separates the hairs into
coarse goupings: long, middling and short. Generally the short hairs are
unuseably short and are disposed of so the count has to be done again.
Finally when this (re-)iterative counting process is done, the hairs
(largely long and middling) are again vibrated to even the tips. After
this they are ready for use.

(Calf-tail presents its own engineering problems. Because of the kinky
fibres they are less prone to sit flat for the counter, or separate
using the vibration techniques. The fibres with a high KTL ratio are both
difficult to count, and measure (length and/or diameter).)

Given the difficulties working with the natural product, I'm seriously
considering ditching all the damn hair I have and buying uniform cross-
section, non-tapering synthetics. I will be avoiding Hi-Viz, Kinky Fibre
and Streamer Hair for wing materials. Is there a synthetic with all the
"good" properties of deer hair? Calf-tail? Do they make it with colour
coded butts to indicate material thickness, and useable length?

No? Good.

Steve
(Kink To Length)
Old July 8th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Hooked

"Stephen Welsh" wrote in message
. 1.4...

[...]

Sounds to me as if you're wasting a lot of time and effort tying your flies.
Vibrating the hairs to sort them? No way. I don't waste no time sorting out
hairs. I guess at how much I'll need, cut off a clump based on the size I
guessed, and tie them in. Of course sometimes I cut a bit too much, but then
I'll just thin out the clump a little until I get to the desired size.

As far as tying calf-tail, I pretty much gave up on trying to even the tips.
I'll put it in the hair stacker and give it a few taps for ****s and grins
(some of it may even actually even out) and then tie it in. Of course, when
cutting the hair, I pull it out at a 90° angle to the tail and then cut it.
This will help even the hair.

I don't think flies have to look like they were tied to exact, specified
ISO-9000 specifications. The fish are not going to notice one or two hairs
that are a little too long. (of course if they are that noticeable, I pull
them out of the clump after the hair stacker ordeal.)

Fly tying shouldn't be a pain, it should be fun. Otherwise it would be a
four letter word like "work."

Old July 8th, 2004, 02:56 AM
vincent p. norris

Given the difficulties working with the natural product, I'm seriously
considering ditching all the damn hair I have and buying uniform cross-
section, non-tapering synthetics. I will be avoiding Hi-Viz, Kinky Fibre
and Streamer Hair for wing materials. Is there a synthetic with all the
"good" properties of deer hair? Calf-tail? Do they make it with colour
coded butts to indicate material thickness, and useable length?

Perhaps it's irreverent, But I use foam for the "hump" and Needloft
"plastic canvas" yarn for the wings.

vince