Abu Garcia Backlash proof reel What happened

Old April 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM
E. Carl Speros

Default Abu Garcia Backlash proof reel What happened

For a couple of years I saw ads for Garcia backlash proof ambassadeur
reels. I'd have thought that such an innovation would catch on like
wildfire. I've forgotten how to use a casting reel, bought one & had
nothing but backlashes. I gave it away. If my Bass Pro Shop had the
Garcia backlash proof I'd have gotten one, but the salesman said
casting was easy. Yeah Right. At one time (40+ years ago) I was a
holy terror with a Shakespear Deuce, but now whatever settings I
used backlashes every cast. Back to spincast for me. Zebco Pro Staff
does a great job & flips & pitches better than any open face spinning
reel. I guess I'll give up on casting. (I do like the pistol grip rods)
Good luck all, Carl

Old April 10th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 07:32:10 -0400, (E. Carl
Speros) sent into the ether:

For a couple of years I saw ads for Garcia backlash proof ambassadeur
reels. I'd have thought that such an innovation would catch on like
wildfire. I've forgotten how to use a casting reel, bought one & had
nothing but backlashes. I gave it away. If my Bass Pro Shop had the
Garcia backlash proof I'd have gotten one, but the salesman said
casting was easy. Yeah Right. At one time (40+ years ago) I was a
holy terror with a Shakespear Deuce, but now whatever settings I
used backlashes every cast. Back to spincast for me. Zebco Pro Staff
does a great job & flips & pitches better than any open face spinning
reel. I guess I'll give up on casting. (I do like the pistol grip rods)
Good luck all, Carl

Carl,
No baitcasting reel is backlash proof. Less backlashes come from
adjusting either the weights or brake magnets and the spool tensioning
knob. The thumb is very important also. An educated thumb can make a
big difference. Start with any adjustments set so your casting weight
just barely takes line out with your rod held level and your thumb off
the spool. If you still have backlashes after that set the
adjustments slightly tighter and try again. Use a heavy enough weight
to cast with. Get used to stopping the spool with your thumb when you
sense a backlash and at the end of the cast. It took me many tries at
first because I started out with a junk reel. After getting better
reels and becoming used to them I can now cast the junk reel also.
Get a couple ot darning hooks, they make great picks for getting
backlashes out. Even the "experts" get backlashes at times. There
are lots of factors to be taken into account like wind and weight of
the lure. pratice is the only cure.

Good luck.

Remove the x for e-mail reply
www.outdoorfrontiers.com
www.SecretWeaponLures.com
A proud charter member of "PETAF", People for Eating Tasty Animals and Fish!!!
Old April 10th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

Also, practice on dry land, pull the line out of the reel as far as you
"think" the longest cast you can make will be, then, pull out an extra
twenty feet more, then, with a piece of scotch tape go around the spool
twice, retrieve the line back to the spool. This will keep the rats nests
very shallow when you have to pick one out.
Others have mentioned adjusting all the settings the reel has, this is the
single most important thing that you can do. Trying to cast a light lure is
also a great way to get tangled, add some wind and you will be making up
some new cursin' words!
Also find someone who can cast well with one and ask for help. This will put
you straight fast!
--
Steve

Old April 10th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Steve & Chris Clark

oh and reel the lure close to the rod tip (2") before making a cast and as
SOON as the lure touches the ground or water STOP the spool with your
thumb!!!
--
STeve

Old April 10th, 2005, 03:32 PM
RichZ

E. Carl Speros wrote:
For a couple of years I saw ads for Garcia backlash proof ambassadeur
reels. I'd have thought that such an innovation would catch on like
wildfire. I've forgotten how to use a casting reel, bought one & had
nothing but backlashes. I gave it away. If my Bass Pro Shop had the
Garcia backlash proof I'd have gotten one, but the salesman said
casting was easy. Yeah Right. At one time (40+ years ago) I was a
holy terror with a Shakespear Deuce, but now whatever settings I
used backlashes every cast. Back to spincast for me. Zebco Pro Staff
does a great job & flips & pitches better than any open face spinning
reel. I guess I'll give up on casting. (I do like the pistol grip rods)
Good luck all, Carl

Carl, there's been reels marketed as "backlash proof" or "anti-backlash"
on a number of occasions over the years, and none has made a notable
impact on the market. Then again, none has been 'backlashproof' enough
for the angler who feels he NEEDS a backlashproof feel, and the angler
who doesn't feel he needs it isn't going to buy a reel that claims that
feature as its primary accomplishment.
Old April 10th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"E. Carl Speros" wrote in message
For a couple of years I saw ads for Garcia backlash proof ambassadeur
reels. I'd have thought that such an innovation would catch on like
wildfire. I've forgotten how to use a casting reel, bought one & had
nothing but backlashes. I gave it away. If my Bass Pro Shop had the
Garcia backlash proof I'd have gotten one, but the salesman said
casting was easy. Yeah Right. At one time (40+ years ago) I was a
holy terror with a Shakespear Deuce, but now whatever settings I
used backlashes every cast. Back to spincast for me. Zebco Pro Staff
does a great job & flips & pitches better than any open face spinning
reel. I guess I'll give up on casting. (I do like the pistol grip rods)
Good luck all, Carl

The simple fact of the matter with this reel was that it was a great idea
that didn't work. Clients of mine showed up with them, still having
problems casting and not getting any kind of distance.

A few minutes of on the water instruction had them casting adequately
without any gizmos or gadgets. After that, it was simply practice, practice
and more practice.

Get someone who knows how to use a baitcaster and have them work with you
for a little while. And remember, don't EVEN attempt to cast anything
lighter than 3/8 oz. for a while. Lightweight lures and a baitcaster are a
sure recipie for frustration.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old April 10th, 2005, 08:32 PM
E. Carl Speros

Thanks to everyone for their help. At 71 I think I'll stay with my
SpinCasts (the old dogs new tricks adage) I appreciate the help, but I
was so frustrated that I was so adept with casting reels in the 40s &
50s & so inept in the 90s. Many thanks & good fishing but better
catching, Carl

Old April 10th, 2005, 09:37 PM
AJH

If you could use those baitcasters from the 50's a 2005 model should be
a snap..

Old April 10th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Dan, danl, danny boy, Redbeard, actually Greybeard

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 16:37:01 -0400, (AJH) sent into
the ether:

If you could use those baitcasters from the 50's a 2005 model should be
a snap..

That's for sure. I can remember as a kid trying to master those in
the 50's and getting very frustrated with them. They should be a
breeze for an old dog to master :}