sarcastic !!!!!

Old March 4th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Milo Milo

Default sarcastic !!!!!

i just read 4 post and replys that mr lipman wrote and 3 out of 4 was
sarstic and maybe he should keep his views to himself !!!!!!

Old March 5th, 2005, 04:28 PM
jackk

Cyli,
What you write is true, but it is not the bigget problem on these boards.
The biggest is the lack of courtesy, much of it in a failed attempt at
humor. The other is the all of the OT posts. This site has become the
meeting place of a half dozen people who post on any subject except fishing.
I will gladly accept poor english, and poor compositon if it is courteous,
pleasant and on topic.

"Cyli" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:49:22 -0500, (Milo Milo)
wrote:

i just read 4 post and replys that mr lipman wrote and 3 out of 4 was
sarstic and maybe he should keep his views to himself !!!!!!

Well, one of them was to you about your use of the English language
and posting abilities. Sarcastic or not, he was right. You'e not
good at it. Try to make more coherent sentences and make more of an
effort at spelling. It's a written medium. Your posts will suffer if
you don't write well. Few 'Net users will make allowances for those
who've had the opportunity to learn to read and write, sluffed it off,
and then come on and try to type at us.

You wouldn't try to drive a car that didn't have wheels and steering,
would you? Though the term is out of favour, try to think of this as
the information freeway and your typing as the wheels, steering, and
engine.

Think more before you post. Look at it before you hit the send
button. Try to think of what others will be able to read and
understand of it. It'll help a lot.

Cyli
r.bc: vixen. Minnow goddess. Speaker to squirrels.
Often taunted by trout. Almost entirely harmless.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli
email: lid (strip the .invalid to email)

Old March 6th, 2005, 01:41 AM
Cyli

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:28:52 -0800, "jackk"
wrote:

Cyli,
What you write is true, but it is not the bigget problem on these boards.
The biggest is the lack of courtesy, much of it in a failed attempt at
humor. The other is the all of the OT posts. This site has become the
meeting place of a half dozen people who post on any subject except fishing.
I will gladly accept poor english, and poor compositon if it is courteous,
pleasant and on topic.

The first message from milo was _very_ hard to read. Trying to make
sense of it was not easy. And it had very little to say. If he can
correct the last part of that, I might be willing to give him some
leeway on the first part.

I don't think the guy who was sarcastic was trying to be humourous. I
think he was trying to get rid of someone he didn't think was any good
to have around. I've goofed on that before, though. I wasn't being
sarcastic. I was trying to give milo a pointer or two to avoiding
being flamed. If he continues as he has, he will get flamed almost
every time he posts. Especilally if he continues with the ! in
series.

This has never been a very useful group to me. The only reason I've
kept it is that it's very low in posts and easy to scan quickly for
the once in a while gem or even mildly interesting post. Most of the
fishing groups have been like that, so I'm only on two now. I just
have no interest in, "My xxxhorsepower motor moves me fast." or "I
caught xxx bass somewhere today." I want to know things like _where_
to move (in a canoe or kayak in my case, no horsepower involved) and
why and what sort of conditions a particular fish like a bass wants
and what it'll bite at the end of my line.

Most groups have a lot of OT stuff. The other fishing group I'm in
takes forays into cooking, quilting, art, too much of politics, etc.
But I've gotten to know those guys over the years of reading and
finally have gone fishing with some of them. So I give lots of leeway
there. And at least once or more a month, there's some in depth stuff
about what fish do, what they feed on, where they lurk, where they
feed, what the feds and state DNRs are doing about them (mostly about
steelhead and trout) and such things.

I'm, personally, a lousy fisher person, but I camp by water almost any
time I can find it and like to toss out a line for an additional
reason to be standing in cold water on a hot summer day. And I'm
interested in fish behaviour. Fascinating creatures.