Casting

Old August 5th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Chris Rennert

Default Casting

Hey all, just wanted to pose the question, what are you casting
strengths and weaknesses? Can you pitch/flip accurately with both
hands? Can you skip just about anywhere with a baitcaster or spinning
rod? Can you drop a bait with little surface disturbance consistently?

For me, I can only pitch/flip with my right hand, unfortunatley I also
reel with my right hand, so I to switch hands after the bait lands. So
that will be something I will try and remedy over the winter (I guess it
is good for something). I can skip pretty accurately with a spinning
rod, and not so good with a baitcaster. Though I do have a pretty good
pitch/skip that I can almost place anywhere I want, I just don't get the
greatest distance. Landing with little disturbance is a work in progress.

Chris
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Bob La Londe

"Chris Rennert" wrote in message
. ..
Hey all, just wanted to pose the question, what are you casting strengths
and weaknesses?

Strength
I can hold the rod without dropping it most days.

Weakness
Some days I drop it.

Can you pitch/flip accurately with both hands?

Nope. I can actually pitch up under into narrow spaces more easily than I
can flip for precision landing point. ie pitching under a dock or into a
hollow in an over hanging brush line. I can flip ok, but the way flipping
is used around here to get up, over and into some sometimes very tall brush
is still a challenge to me.

Can you skip just about anywhere with a baitcaster or spinning rod?

I actually pitch/skip with a bait caster. I can also skip sidearm very well
with a spinning rod, but my side to side accuracy is usually measureed in
feet rather than inches when sidearming.

Can you drop a bait with little surface disturbance consistently?

Sure when flipping.

For me, I can only pitch/flip with my right hand, unfortunatley I also
reel with my right hand, so I to switch hands after the bait lands.

I have the same limitation. For casting it usually isn't an issue because I
tend to cup or palm the reel with my left hand. I usually have my left hand
in position long before the bait hits the water. I do almost the same thing
with pitching although my left usually comes into position as the bait
enters the water then.

So that will be something I will try and remedy over the winter (I guess
it is good for something).

Mine is a comprimise solution. I have tried switching to left handed reels
and that does work, but I would have to switch to all left hadned reels to
make t work. Changing back and forth is confusing except when I change to
spinning where left handed reels just feel natural. I can pitch and cast
with my left hadn, but it feels so unnatuarl that after any time at all
doing it I get mentally confused. Everythign feels out of kilter. I am
extreemly dominantly right handed so it may not be within my capabilities to
improve this dramaticaly.

I can skip pretty accurately with a spinning rod, and not so good with a
baitcaster.

Skipping with a spinning reel/rod is a piece of cake. To do it accurately
shows you have spent some time practicing.

Though I do have a pretty good pitch/skip that I can almost place anywhere
I want, I just don't get the greatest distance.

Don't need too much distance. If you can control point of initial impact
and get more than 20'of travel after then you can do most anything you need
to do with that technique. I practice this by pitching under cars and
trucks at home. For more precision practice I stand on the side of my
swimming pool and try to pitch into the skimmer basket. You may also find
that you can pitch quite some distance when you aren't trying to skip. This
comes in really handy when fishing clear shallow water banks with marginal
bits of floating debris. I can pitch 30-40 feet with accuracy to about a
foot. I can pitch out to about 60 or 70 feet with that accuracy 7 out of
ten casts. Don't ask about the other three. LOL. Hammer, my ABA team
partner can pitch 100' with pretty darn good accuracy.

Landing with little disturbance is a work in progress.

Always will be. For me the key has been to keep it within my working
distance. I can pitch a bait over a 100' but its with things all akimbo.
If fishing heavy cover or in stained water I don't worry about it. I get
about 20-30 feet off the cover and have at it. In clear water I back off to
about 60' and let fly knowing that a third of my casts will be wasted.

One the the things that I can't do very well is short cast. Well, I can do
it sidearm with spinning tackle, but with bait casting tackle I have no
control over short casting. I am much more accurate with a longer cast. I
ran across this one day fishing topwater with Roy Price (now deceased) I was
fishing a Bass Oreno at about 70' off the brush line, maybe closer. I was
fishing a tiny popper. Finally I gave up trying to cast it and picked up a
spinning rod. I was pitching it with great success, and finally started
getting bit instead of dragging my bait out of the brush.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Old August 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Bob La Londe

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I ran across this one day fishing topwater with Roy Price (now deceased)
I was fishing a Bass Oreno

Roy was fishing the Bass Oreno.

Oops.