Easter Plans

Old March 24th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Keith M

Default Easter Plans

Hi All
Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?
Keith M

Old March 24th, 2005, 09:27 PM
Kyle Kensett

Hoping to go out in the boat tomorrow from Littlehampton in West Sussex,
meant to be the beginning of the Bream season arriving apparently, but I
doubt ill get anything

Kyle

Old March 25th, 2005, 12:07 AM
Derek.Moody

In article , Keith M
wrote:
Hi All
Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?

Barely worth it imo. Nothing much about alongshore bar rockling and
see-through flatties. Instead we've arranged to go and recce a secion of
coast at low water springs - two of us will go down with maps and cameras
and draw out the features in relation to coastal landmarks. There have been
enough cliff falls that the ones we did fifteen years back are badly out of
date.

Might go and look at a couple of early reef-pollock marks and sniff for the
first of the bream if conditions look ok on the back of the springs.

Mind you ther early gar should be along rsn and then the cycle starts again.

Cheerio,

Old March 25th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Steve Walker

In message , Derek.Moody
writes
In article , Keith M
wrote:
Hi All
Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?

Barely worth it imo.

We're planning a trip to the Solent area on Sunday. Looks from the catch
reports as if there are a few small bass about, flatties and dogfish.

Not terribly promising, to be honest, but the last couple of weeks have
been a bit stressful and even a blank session on the beach seems to work
wonders.

I think we could really do with some rag, but I don't think we'll have
the chance to get any.

--
Steve Walker
Old March 25th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Keith M

Well at least a few of us are going to chance it and Derek is doing
something related and long term useful but lets not forget that, and I speak
for myself
here, fishing is about being away from it all with the bonus of a fish or
three - I know how it feels Steve - I'm more wound up than the line on my
reel.
Any way - good luck and tight lines and perhaps a report or two when our
collective typing finger has thawed out.
Tight Lines
Keith M

Old March 25th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Hi all

Our boat club is having a "get to know how to handle a/your boat morning on
Sunday.

We feel it is important how any crew member knows how to start the engine,
retrieve or cut the anchor rope and buoy it.
Use the VHF radio, navigate & use Man Overboard Button and how to recover a
man overboard.

The reason is it could be that it is the skipper who has fallen over or ill.
Would YOU know what to do in an emergency?

Still, I am taking a rod or two just in case I get a chance to wet a line
for a while. :-))

Have a good safe week-end to you all.

Dave

Old March 26th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Derek.Moody

In article , Keith M
wrote:
Well at least a few of us are going to chance it and Derek is doing
something related and long term useful

I've used March springs for recce's for a very long time
- it always pays off in the long run.
Why March?
* Fishing poor
* Main cliff-fall season ending
* Low low springs.

but lets not forget that, and I speak
for myself
here, fishing is about being away from it all with the bonus of a fish or
three - I know how it feels Steve - I'm more wound up than the line on my
reel.

OK, your POV.

As for me I don't regard the fish as a bonus. The nice day out in (usually)
pleasant surroundings is the bonus. If there is little or no chance of a
fish I don't wet a line.

Cheerio,

Old March 27th, 2005, 05:26 PM
mal

Keith M wrote:
Hi All
Is anyone planning to we a line this coming week?
Keith M

Down on the Chesil-Abbots.

--
Athlon 1.3-256 meg ram-mandrake 10.1.
-To reply remove speed-
Old March 28th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Steve Walker

In message , Keith M
writes

Any way - good luck and tight lines and perhaps a report or two when our
collective typing finger has thawed out.

Not a great session; broke my rod just above the reel seat on an
off-the-ground cast. First cast, as it happens... I ended up sawing the
butt cap off, reversing the section and ramming the broken end into it.
Taped up the makeshift spigot, taped the reel to the blank, and was able
to fish. I'm not *too* bothered, given that it was a very, very cheap
rod and I was looking for an excuse to replace it, but it buggered the
session up. There were bites coming as it went dark (while I was messing
about with open blank rod surgery), and then it all went quiet until the
top of the tide.

Anyway, couldn't really get enough distance. Finished with a single tiny
pout. The guys up the beach from us had a small bass between them, but
they did confirm that thornback rays were being caught at distance this
last week.

Any recommendations for a general purpose beachcaster, ringed for
fixed-spool, about 100 quid, capable of handling off-the-ground with
5/6oz? It would be nice if it could pull a bit more distance out with a
full pendulum, but I hardly ever feel the need.

--
Steve Walker
Old March 28th, 2005, 03:22 PM
fantom

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
In message , Keith M
writes

[...]

Hi, i would recommend the daiwa sandstorm for that price.Very nice rod.