Vise lights

Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Default Vise lights

looking for a "portable" /perm(?) vise light that's small ,bright and cool
(temp) for my tying vise that I'll be able to take on the road with me. One
that I'm looking at is a McKenzie. Any comments, recommendations?

Old November 23rd, 2005, 08:32 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Randy" wrote...
looking for a "portable" /perm(?) vise light that's small ,bright and cool
(temp) for my tying vise that I'll be able to take on the road with me.
One that I'm looking at is a McKenzie. Any comments, recommendations?

That McKenzie light looks pretty nice. Local fly shop had one, and I
remember it behaving nicely for the short period of time I played with it.

By 'on the road', do you mean camping or are you in Gierach's 'stage 3' --
cabins, hotels, etc.? If the former, I use an LED headlamp. Specifically,
the Petzl Tikka. Sometimes the Black Diamond Ion. Both are great lights, but
the battery life on the Tikka is about 10 times better than that of the Ion.
The Ion is brighter and lighter, so your call on what's important here.

There are many different LED lights available. Some probably better than
others. A couple that are not 'headlamps'...:

http://tinyurl.com/832ox

http://tinyurl.com/e2y5f

(both links to REI.com)

If you're in cabins/hotels/etc., looks like it may be pretty hard to beat
that McKenzie..

Cheers,
Dan
.... with apologies to the late Mr. Kerouac

Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

I have one, and it does travel well. Sometimes its the only real light in
the room, as "mood" lighting is pretty common in some hotels, and some of
the fishing camps seem to prefer to place the single light in the room as
far from a useful location as possible. Functionally, the McKenzie works
pretty well. The little cover around the bulb is hard to orient so that the
opening is pointed toward the vise jaws though, since it threads onto the
flexible arm. The threads on mine stop at a point that prevents enough
rotation to get it pointed where I'd like. I had to drill out the mounting
hole to accomodate a Thompson A vise, then bought a Renzetti, so now the
hole is fractionally sloppy.

The one big warning I have for you is that the bulb cover gets EXTREMELY hot
after a few minutes of use. If you lean in to get a better look a fly, make
sure that you reposition the lamp first. I can attest to the fact that you
can (and will) get a painful burn on your forehead, bald spot, cheek, etc.
Worse, if you grab the wrong part of the lamp (i.e., the bulb cover), it can
seriously affect your ability to tie flies for a while.

HTH,

Jim Ray
ink.net...

Old November 23rd, 2005, 07:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Ott light
http://www.ottlite.com/productsview....gory=truecolor

If you're in the US, go to Joanns fabrics, and sign up for their flyer. You
will soon get a 50% off coupon good for 1 item. Use it to buy the light.
Then again, the have them on sale on their web page right now for 40% off.
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...term=ott_light

--
Frank Reid
Euthanize to respond

Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Hi

In Denmark we got this:

http://www.lysoglup.dk/product.asp?product=789&page=1

Peter

Old November 24th, 2005, 05:07 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Frank Reid wrote:
Ott light
http://www.ottlite.com/productsview....gory=truecolor

If you're in the US, go to Joanns fabrics, and sign up for their flyer. You
will soon get a 50% off coupon good for 1 item. Use it to buy the light.
Then again, the have them on sale on their web page right now for 40% off.
http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?C...term=ott_light

As someone who is involved in color technology, I am going to interject
that there seems to be a high proportion of hype in Ott Light
advertising. There is a standard scientific way to measure the
effectiveness of a light source with respect to color perception called
the "Color Rendering Index." Details on it can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index If you then enter
"Color Rendering Index" (quotes and all) into Google, you will find many
pages of businesses selling lamps and bulbs who quote this number for
each of the products they sell. On the other hand, you won't find it
anywhere at all on the Ott Light web site. Now what they offer may be
pleasant and useful or at least usable for the task, but if it were
anything special, justifying their prices, one would think they would
flaunt it.

Mike
Old November 24th, 2005, 03:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

As someone who is involved in color technology, I am going to interject
that there seems to be a high proportion of hype in Ott Light advertising.
There is a standard scientific way to measure the effectiveness of a light
source with respect to color perception called the "Color Rendering
Index." Details on it can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index If you then enter
"Color Rendering Index" (quotes and all) into Google, you will find many
pages of businesses selling lamps and bulbs who quote this number for each
of the products they sell. On the other hand, you won't find it anywhere
at all on the Ott Light web site. Now what they offer may be pleasant and
useful or at least usable for the task, but if it were anything special,
justifying their prices, one would think they would flaunt it.

Thank you. You got me thinking. I found this page from an Ott light
competitor, Solux http://solux.net/Ott_lite.htm
I would really like to try them side by side. Since the Solux bulb is so
much cheaper than the Ott, I think I may just order one.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old November 24th, 2005, 11:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Frank Reid wrote:
justifying their prices, one would think they would flaunt it.

Thank you. You got me thinking. I found this page from an Ott light
competitor, Solux http://solux.net/Ott_lite.htm
I would really like to try them side by side. Since the Solux bulb is so
much cheaper than the Ott, I think I may just order one.

Frank

It looks to me like Solux has got it about right. Interesting
coincidence, they mention a Kevin McGuire as the maker of Solux. I have
a brother named Kevin, but he definitely doesn't work for them or have
anything to do them.

Mike
Old November 25th, 2005, 02:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

Okay, sure, I see it now. Critique the Ott light, get me searching,
find the Solux and boom, I'm now out touting your family business.
Sneeky. :-)

I would really like to do a side-by-side. I know that I can tie a lot
easier with an Ott light than I can with a normal light. I can even do
some work without my reading glasses.
By the way, do you mind is I quote your post over in another newsgroup?
My wife is a quilter and color is even more critical for them.
Frank Reid

Old November 26th, 2005, 06:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

"Randy" wrote in message
ink.net...
looking for a "portable" /perm(?) vise light that's small ,bright and cool
(temp) for my tying vise that I'll be able to take on the road with me.
One that I'm looking at is a McKenzie. Any comments, recommendations?

Hi,
I looked through the responses. I have a McKenzie. I works, but I still
wasn't getting illumination I wanted, even though I was seeing guides use
them a few years ago.
I ended up going to a Zelco Micro Halogen Lamp.
Has a pedestal base and clamp base. I use the pedestal base. Options for
various configurations.
I think Dick Talleur (sp)? used to promote them. (attention to detail guy
as I recall watching him tye a fly once or twice)
Looked at the Otts. Good light, but the model I looked at didn't give me
enough clearance for me winding the bobbin. Apparently popular, in the
sewing/quilting industry because the display I saw didn't have much
inventory, and I certainly believe the sewing and quilting folks.
I need the clearance from bobbin to vise . . .and illumination. I want the
'lamp" generally on top of the vise. I also want the option to move the
lamp around a lot. I also like, for myself, a kind of rotary vice option
for the vice. I only use three so far . . . Renzetti , Danica, Regal. (the
first two in-line and the Regal a close option.
As mentioned before . . .hot on the bulbs is hot.. . . uh . . . er . . . not
that I've ever done that sort of thing. like touching the bulb. . . but I
know a friend, of a friend, who may have done it. (sigh)
For Frank:
I'm sure you may have mentioned it in the past , but what model of the Ott
are you using?
DaveMohnsen
Denver