Backing advice

Old January 26th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Martin

Default Backing advice

Probably the best backing for salt water fly fishing is Bionic Braid (Rod
Harrison Australian Made)
It's available by mail order from Australia from alpine angler
www.alpineangler.com.au , not sure about availability from stores in the
states, but it's a far superior product and not much more expensive than
normal braids.

Cheers,
"Harry"

"Aaron Hammer" wrote in message
I've seen many reviews for fly lines, but hardly ever any for backing.
I realize it is not as important in many situations, because an 8" brookie
never pulls more than about a foot of fly line. However, I also want to

do
some salt water fishing, and know backing choice will be much more
important.
I know Orvis, SA, and others make small diameter backing. Does anyone has
advice on the best backing (for the money)? Anyone compared a couple

brands
and have preference?

Thanks
Hammer

Old January 26th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Charlie Choc

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:13:56 GMT, daytripper
wrote:

[snip instructions]
Et voila!

Good description of the technique, DT. I use the same method to put a
loop in my backing for a loop to loop connection with my fly line.
--
Charlie...
Old January 27th, 2004, 02:22 AM
daytripper

wrote:

[snip instructions]
Et voila!

Good description of the technique, DT. I use the same method to put a
loop in my backing for a loop to loop connection with my fly line.

Thanks, CC. Now I can point to Google the next time someone asks ;-)

I have done the really big backing loop thing to my larger reels, especially
my wide arbor 11-12 - as it makes changing lines a relative snap, so I don't
have to carry an extra weighty spool on the flats...

cheers

/daytripper
Old January 30th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Harry

The New Improved Bionic Braid overcomes all the shortcomings of existing
spectra/dyneema braided and fused lines. Uses a third less fibres and is
certainly the very best quality and value for money i've used for flyline
backing. It's now on 5 of my reels and the rest will follow.
I'd be using bionic braid 50lb for anything over about 6 or 7 weight. and
if required, go down to 30 for under 6 or 7. It's available online from
www.alpineangler.com.au i believe. You can check out Rod Harrisons site for
more opinions about it by going to www.harro.com.au . Quality of the bionic
braid has been acknowledged by guys like Lefty Kreh, Flip Pallot, Buzz
Bryson, Dan Blanton and Dean Butler (Aus) for it's excellent properties as a
fly line backing.
Cheers,
"Harry"
http://groups.msn.com/FlyFishingDownUnder
Remove fishy from email address to respond

Top line for throwing spinnerbaits around too.