Hey, What is the toughest condition you fish, and how can we help?

Old February 7th, 2004, 10:20 PM
BassAngler

Default Hey, What is the toughest condition you fish, and how can we help?

I can usually find and catch bass pretty consistently. But if the water is
perfectly still, (no wind or water current) I'm in trouble, big time!!!
Current (be it wind or water), fishing pressure, heavy stained/muddy water,
bright skies/Clear Water all forces fish to stay close to cover (at least
for the most part), and easy to catch. But when the water is still, and the
wind is not blowing, the fish seem to move freely about. Hawg heaven areas
seem to dry up.

Typically, I run to the first incoming water spot to pick up the easy bite.
But hey, those hawgs are still there, or at least in the area. You would
think that they would move to mid depth weed beds for the oxygen, but that
hasn't worked for me. So what do you guys do, when the water is perfectly
still?

What is the toughest fishing condition that causes you hell?
--
Craig Baugher

Old February 7th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Huck Palmatier

Still water?.....s'when it's time for the worm....nice n'slow.....my
toughest condition is wind above 20 mph 'cause of boat control..... Current
I like, 'cause I just "go with the flow"....actually I love tidal water.
said Huck

Old February 7th, 2004, 10:36 PM
RGarri7470

What is the toughest fishing condition that causes you hell?
--
Craig Baugher

Muddy, cold water - like we have right now! Water is in the mid 40s and most
lakes are so stained you can't see a plug down 3 inches.
Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:55 PM
\The Shadow\

Calm blue bird skies, just after that stinkin front has blown thru!

--
"The Shadow"
Millennium Rods

Old February 8th, 2004, 12:40 AM
John Kerr

In still water I cover as much shore line as I can, if the bass are
moving, we will cross paths eventially! Throw a top water over em, and a
blade under them til ya find em g.

Old February 8th, 2004, 03:05 AM
Suthern Transplant

I agree John,

I find myself throwing into the first 6" or so of weedline (typically with a
spinnerbait) and hope I miss picking up weeds, letting the bait fall for a
second or two and use various retrieve speeds...medium is usually the most
productive.

I find if I don't get in far enough...ferget it.

Suthern

P.S.

Craig,

My problem is dog day heat conditions in mid-summer...?

Old February 8th, 2004, 04:54 AM
Charles Summers

There are no tough fishing conditions when you're fishing for the fun of it
Craig. But I hate to fish in the cold, blowing, freezing, crappy snow!

C'mon spring... where are you?

Just when I thought it was starting to show signs of warmer weather ahead...
along comes a nice little snow shower to remind me that it's still winter.

--
Charles B. Summers
Secret Weapon Lures

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:27 AM
BassAngler

Huck, I use drift socks to aid in boat control when the wind is bad and I
have a fishing partner in the back of the boat. If not, I just put my tail
to the wind and fish away at the wind blown shorelines.

--
Craig Baugher

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:39 AM
BassAngler

Yep Ron, Toughest conditions an angler can face. I have had some success
using a 3/4-ounce Rattlin Jig (orange & Black Skirt) with a Black Real Pork
Chuck (Uncle Josh #1). Also had some success using Bob Rickard's Mud
Spinnerbait (Red and Chartreuse Colorado Tandem blades) with Red/Chartreuse
Skirt, using a Paddle Tail Swim Minnow as a trailer (Black). Fishing them
like you would a jig (hopping them off the bottom and letting them flutter
back down, and repeating).

--
Craig Baugher

Old February 8th, 2004, 05:47 AM
BassAngler

Actually Dave, this is one of my favorite times because I have found that
the bass are going to be holding real tight to cover and have a very small
strike zone. Put a jig-n-pig or big tube right on target (tight to the
cover - dock post, rock, isolated weed patch, etc.), and shake the hell out
of it, then pop it and repeat. Once my lure is a little more than 18" from
the target, I pull it and cast again. No need to waste time, that bass is
holding tight and it is high unlikely to follow it any distance at all.

--
Craig Baugher