Need advice on Brown Trout spawning behavior

Old September 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

Default Need advice on Brown Trout spawning behavior

On Sep 27, 8:56*pm, rw wrote:
Bob wrote:
On Sep 26, 4:36 pm, rw wrote:

I gave him my best mouse pattern and asked him try it on
the browns at night during a full moon.

One problem with that - In Oregon, for some unknown reason, its
illegal to fish for salmonids between 1/2 hr after sundown to 1/2 *hr
before sunrise.

Bob Weinberger * DuPont, WA

It's a stupid reg and it's not enforced.

I totally agree with the stupid part, but I know some people who found
out the hard way that it is enforced. However,the Oregon State
Police (who enforce game and fish laws under contract from the Dept of
Fish & Wildlife) are so understaffed that enforcement of any of the
fish & game laws is spotty at best.

Bob Weinberger DuPont, WA
Old September 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 22:15:41 -0700 (PDT), Bob wrote:

On Sep 27, 8:56*pm, rw wrote:
Bob wrote:
On Sep 26, 4:36 pm, rw wrote:

I gave him my best mouse pattern and asked him try it on
the browns at night during a full moon.

One problem with that - In Oregon, for some unknown reason, its
illegal to fish for salmonids between 1/2 hr after sundown to 1/2 *hr
before sunrise.

Bob Weinberger * DuPont, WA

It's a stupid reg and it's not enforced.

I totally agree with the stupid part, but I know some people who found
out the hard way that it is enforced. However,the Oregon State
Police (who enforce game and fish laws under contract from the Dept of
Fish & Wildlife) are so understaffed that enforcement of any of the
fish & game laws is spotty at best.

Bob Weinberger DuPont, WA

But hey, if you choose to ignore it and do get popped, you can try and see if
the ol' "but somebody 'on the Internet' told me y'all never enforce this law"
defense works in Oregon...

Good luck,

Old September 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Sep 28, 10:15*pm, Bob wrote:
On Sep 27, 8:56*pm, rw wrote:

Bob wrote:
On Sep 26, 4:36 pm, rw wrote:

I gave him my best mouse pattern and asked him try it on
the browns at night during a full moon.

One problem with that - In Oregon, for some unknown reason, its
illegal to fish for salmonids between 1/2 hr after sundown to 1/2 *hr
before sunrise.

Bob Weinberger * DuPont, WA

It's a stupid reg and it's not enforced.

I totally agree with the stupid part, but I know some people who found
out the hard way that it is enforced. *However,the Oregon *State
Police (who enforce game and fish laws under contract from the Dept of
Fish & Wildlife) are so understaffed that enforcement of any of the
fish & game laws is spotty at best.

Bob Weinberger * * DuPont, WA- Hide quoted text -

Yep, I was checked at Black Creek/Wynochie River, last year or maybe
year before, didn't have the catch card, had to fold my tent, but no
fine. Now Id expect in your case you will need 2 cards. ;+))

Old September 30th, 2009, 08:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Sep 26, 4:36*pm, rw wrote:
Snip
What is your favorite mouse pattern? There are jillions of mice, voles
etc in the Palouse. I see even the Herons hunting them out in the
fields.

Old October 1st, 2009, 11:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

DaveS wrote:
On Sep 26, 4:36 pm, rw wrote:
Snip
What is your favorite mouse pattern? There are jillions of mice, voles
etc in the Palouse. I see even the Herons hunting them out in the
fields.

Dave

I don't have a photo of my favorite pattern, but it's tied like this
(very simple):

long-shank hook of your size preference

Spin deer or elk hair over entire shank.

Trim hair on top and bottom to make a horizontal pattern -- nothing on
the top, nothing on the bottom. You don't need much hair left. The idea
is to get the tapered mouse profile as seen (by the trout) from below.

Tie on a strip of skin with dark hair on the end for the tail. The hair
should be smooth and slinky in the water.

Over the deer or elk hair, tie on a back and head of jet black
closed-cell foam, about 3/8" thick, tapered to match a mouse body,
more-or-less. The first tie-down is just above the tail, the second is
just behind the hook eye. Leave about 5/8" or so above the last tie-down
for a "head."

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Oct 1, 3:19*pm, rw wrote:
DaveS wrote:
On Sep 26, 4:36 pm, rw wrote:
[...]

What? No leather ears? No black beady eyes? No Orvis box?

Im joking. This sounds like I could actually tie it. Thank you.

I heard that the steelhead were up the clearwater early this year.
True that?

Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

DaveS wrote:

I heard that the steelhead were up the clearwater early this year.
True that?

True. There are even steelhead up to Salmon, Idaho, but that's a pretty
low percentage play.

I've heard that the Deschuttes is fishing well. I'll be there next week.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"DaveS" wrote in message

I heard that the steelhead were up the clearwater early this year.
True that?

Dave

Coming back last weekend through Orofino, there were many drift boats and
bank fly fisherman. I saw two boats with hookups. Unfortunately I couldn't
stop and fish. Heading back end of the month.

There were several steelhead (or what appeared to be steelhead) coming to
the surface.

It's suppose to be a record year.

JT