flyfishing near st. louis

Old January 27th, 2004, 03:25 PM
slenon

Default flyfishing near st. louis

Don't forget one of the best zoological parks in the country (free even) and
the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69

Still salivating for Italian food on "da Hill."

Old January 27th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Memphis Jim

"slenon" wrote in message
. com...
Don't forget one of the best zoological parks in the country (free even)

and
the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial.

--

A facet of St. Louis that few know, and that for some reason is not played
up by the tourism officials is the number of free attractions in St. Louis:

Zoo- Free
Art Musuem- Free, except for traveling exhibits
History Musuem- Free
Grant's Farm (The Busch family's other zoo)- Free
Busch Brewery- Free beer if you take the tour
Municipal Theater- Free if you want to wait until showtime.
Bob, Is there a charge at the Science Museum? I honestly don't remember.

Memphis Jim

Old January 27th, 2004, 09:51 PM

Thanks, everybody. I'm now very encouraged. It looks like there are
lots of areas to explore . . .

What kinds of land classifications does Missouri have? Here in PA there are
state forests (where I'm finding most of my favorite backcountry brookie
streams). We also have state gamelands, (smaller) state parks, and a couple
streams I like flow into municipal watersheds.

Old January 27th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Willi

Bob Patton wrote:

Yah, Yah, Yah. Mere semantics, my man. Mere semantics. :-)
Budweiser ain't so bad, 'specially for something that's made in machinery
that looks, as I once said to a friend at A-B, like an oil refinery.
Besides, what else can you drink at a Cardinals game?

There's a new Budweiser plant just north of me. It is the most automated
factory I've ever seen. The brewing floor is about the size of a couple
of football fields and on a tour, we only saw one employee on the floor.
The office workers FAR out number the people working in the plant.

Willi

Old January 28th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Bob Patton

"Memphis Jim" wrote in message

//snip//
Bob, Is there a charge at the Science Museum? I honestly don't remember.

Memphis Jim

No charge at the Science Museum - but they do charge for some special
programs and Omnimax movies. The zoo, art museum, Botanical Garden and
history museum are supported by taxes. Which reminds me, anybody visiting
STL should see the botanical garden. Remarkable. And it's a world-famous
research institution.

St Louis is also home of the St Louis Symphony (a fine orchestra, and second
oldest in the country), and is the birthplace of TS Eliot (but he left and
moved to England), whose grandfather founded Washington University in St
Louis (WU has something like the 9th largest endowment among all
universities in the country). Other interesting points: an old German city,
there were German-language newspapers until the mid-50s. When I moved to St
Louis in 1974 there was still a radio station that broadcast in German. Also
hometown of some of the best Italian restaurants in the country, and of Joe
Garagiola and Yogi Berra.

And in the winter the temperature can go to zero, and in the summer to 100.
Or higher. August is a good time to go fishing somewhere else.

Bob

Old January 28th, 2004, 01:45 PM
slenon

Don't forget the historical home of my all time favorite beer name,
Greisedich Brothers Beer.

And St.Louis is still the fur trade capital of the world.

Visitors should also consider seeing Shaw's Garden ( MO Botanical Garden ).

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old January 29th, 2004, 01:10 AM
nfisherman

The Schlafly Brewery is a good place for some local beer. Anheuser
probably spills more that Schlafly makes, but Schlafly's Oatmeal Stout
or Hefeweizen are hard to beat.

I'm new to fly fishing in St. Louis too. I've canoed a lot of MO
streams, but I never tried the fly fishing. My wife gave me a nice
fly rod & reel for Christmas because she thought I'd like it. Who am
I to argue with that?