Question about loop leaders?

Old October 15th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Dave LaCourse

Default Question about loop leaders?

Tom Nakashima writes:

The knots I know how to tie, and I never use the loops, I cut them off.
I was wondering if there's a difference in the way the fly is presented with
loop leaders

Some folks insist that a loop connection can produce a hinge effect when
casting. I have used the mesh "Chinese finger trap" connectors Orvis likes so
much, and loops made from mono that has been nail knotted to the fly line. I
have never experienced this "hinge effect", however, I can understand how it
got started. If the finger trap mesh thingy is installed improperly, it could
hinge when the line is not forced all the way to the loops end before securing
it.

There are other options for connecting fly line to leader. Eagle make leader
connectors which are small plastic thingies where the fly line is passed
through and a simply knot made to hold it from slipping out. The leader is
also passed through the opposite end of the leader link and a simply knot holds
it in place. Lots of folks on roff use this method.

Still another method is a recent proprietary release from Sci Anglers. You buy
a kit with a plastic tool that installs a plastic thingy to the end of your fly
line. The kit also allows you to attach a special proprietary leader sold only
by Sci Anglers that attaches to the thingy. When you are through with that
leader, you insert another thingy (there are five in the kit) and attach
another leader. OR, you could tie a small perfection loop in the butt end of
the orginal leader and go back to loop to loop.

I've tried all the above methods but prefer the nail knot with a perfection
loop at the other end of the short piece of mono.

ymmv, of course.

Old October 15th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Tim J.

Tom Nakashima wrote:
"Tim J." wrote in message
Tom Nakashima wrote:

sorry about that, didn't know I hit a sore subject, is there an FAQ
that you could lead me to read about this?

Ken's probably referring to this thread just discussed yesterday:
http://tinyurl.com/5jsp5
You're just lucky that Ken is such a patient man. ;-)

Yes, I read,
The knots I know how to tie, and I never use the loops, I cut them
off.
I was wondering if there's a difference in the way the fly is
presented with loop leaders

No offense intended, Tom, but you should take a little more time to ask
the question you want answered. There was nothing in your original post
indicating you were asking about fly presentation.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 15th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Tim J.

Tim J. wrote:
Tom Nakashima wrote:
"Tim J." wrote in message
Tom Nakashima wrote:

sorry about that, didn't know I hit a sore subject, is there an FAQ
that you could lead me to read about this?

Ken's probably referring to this thread just discussed yesterday:
http://tinyurl.com/5jsp5
You're just lucky that Ken is such a patient man. ;-)

Yes, I read,
The knots I know how to tie, and I never use the loops, I cut them
off.
I was wondering if there's a difference in the way the fly is
presented with loop leaders

No offense intended, Tom, but you should take a little more time to
ask the question you want answered. There was nothing in your
original post indicating you were asking about fly presentation.

That said, doing a Google search in roff for "loop leader fly
presentation" turned up this oldie but goodie: http://tinyurl.com/5kcmn
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 15th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Dave LaCourse

I should have added:

I have noticed no difference in presentation with any of the methods I
mentioned.

Old October 15th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Dave LaCourse

Old October 15th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Tim J." wrote in message
Tom Nakashima wrote:
"Tim J." wrote in message
Tom Nakashima wrote:

[...]

Woops, I have a habit of thinking the experts know what I'm asking.
Dave LaCourse did answer my question, and I will continue to use the nail
knot as well.
The hinge effect was what I wanted to ask, but didn't know the correct term
to use.
Thanks Dave, very good description.
-tom

Old October 15th, 2004, 09:41 PM
slenon

Dave LaCourse writes:

Still another method is a recent proprietary release from Sci Anglers.

I take it that you found these satisfactory but not at all essential?

I tried them and found them workable. But since right now my fishing is
limited to sal****er in the periods between storms, and since they don't
make them in sizes for larger lines, I will stick to my furled leaders with
tippets looped on.

--
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
When the dawn came up like thunder