bought a new...well, used trailer

Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default bought a new...well, used trailer

Having sold my hybrid which many of you have seen, I purchased a pop-up.
Cheaper to own (not new enough or expensive enough to have to carry
insurance), cheaper to maintain (no longer need to pay storage) and cheaper
to tow (gas wise.)

It has the two king/queen beds, a smaller fridge (coolers for the beer) and
a furnace. It has on board fresh water...bout 11 or 12 gallons for cooking
and dishes but that's it. No shower or commode. It doesn't have a 'porta
potty' nor will it as I consider those to be something on the order of adult
diapers.... It also has AC if I am at a place that has full hook ups.

I'll need to get a 12v battery, deep cycle and get it wired in...the
previous two owners only stayed at full service campgrounds. I am also going
to purchase a small generator, Honda,/Coleman or the like so if you have a
used one, let me know. I'll need it for more remote areas on the creeks and
streams which will not be named here.

It's a 1998 Rockwood (manufactured by Forest River) and has been used very,
very little. It will take me a week or two to get the maintenance caught up.
I like to be current on bearings, lubing the lift system and other
preventative steps.

The hard shell top will be excellent for transporting my kayaks.

I plan on using this unit till it dies, which should be about the same time
as my body quits. I owned one pop-up for 17 years and sold it for as much as
I paid for it! That'll make me 71 and the men in my family do not live all
that much longer than that....slowly but surely, Frank the Elder is passing
me by!

I'm planning on a spring run at the great lakes, some muskie fishing right
here on an Ohio river, several times to the NC high country and anything
else that happens along.

Hey Opie, if you're still reading, drop me a line, my email bounced.....

....and lastly, significantly because it is not the least, a trip to the
UP......I plan on packing a big lunch...to be cooked over an open
fire.....to last the day and maybe a nice bottle of wine to go with
it.....because I could spend all day every day of a week below a certain
waterfalls.....but I won't. Just two days, I *will* have to explore new
areas.....

john

Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Congrats on the pop-up. Aside from all of the advantages of weight,
etc., I've always liked mine simply from the perspective of having more
of an illusion of "camping". Instead of an RV and all of those
implications, it's more like a tent on wheels. For me, it's a critical
difference sleeping under cloth vs. inside a box. It feels more
outdoors. You can hear the forest, feel the wind. It's closer to the
reasons I'm out there in the first place.

Joe F.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 3/23/06 7:38 AM, in article
, "asadi"
wrote:

UP......I plan on packing a big lunch...to be cooked over an open
fire.....to last the day and maybe a nice bottle of wine to go with
it.....because I could spend all day every day of a week below a certain
waterfalls.....but I won't. Just two days, I *will* have to explore new
areas.....

A few of us have our favorite spots up there, and I sure hope we'll be in a
sharing mood come mid-September!

Sounds like a nice rig, John!

Bill

Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 3/23/06 9:07 AM, in article
, "rb608"
wrote:

it's more like a tent on wheels.

Joe, you must use a different kind of tent than I do! Sink? Fridge?
Generator? King size bed?

When I'm in my tent, the only cushy I think about is making sure there ain't
a rock right under my lower back.

:-)

Bill
(or cooler full of venison inside :-)

Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

William Claspy wrote in
:

On 3/23/06 7:38 AM, in article
, "asadi"
wrote:

UP......I plan on packing a big lunch...to be cooked over an open
fire.....to last the day and maybe a nice bottle of wine to go with
it.....because I could spend all day every day of a week below a
certain waterfalls.....but I won't. Just two days, I *will* have to
explore new areas.....

A few of us have our favorite spots up there, and I sure hope we'll be
in a sharing mood come mid-September!

Sounds like a nice rig, John!

Bill

Yo Bill, I hear Hundert took the boot last week. Things in a firestorm
over there?

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 3/23/06 10:03 AM, in article
, "Scott Seidman"
wrote:

Yo Bill, I hear Hundert took the boot last week. Things in a firestorm
over there?

Hooooooooo boy.

And it seems like I've been through this a few times before. Ag was the
only one who has left in the past couple decades NOT under a cloud.

Hey- he (Hundert) was sorta your boss over there before he came here, no?

Bill

Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"William Claspy" wrote in message
A few of us have our favorite spots up there, and I sure hope we'll be in
sharing mood come mid-September!

Sounds like a nice rig, John!

Bill

I think it's going to fill the bill as far as my needs go. It will be
closer to the outdoors, although I admit the big rig was fun while it
lasted.

As far as favorite spots go, ...I could play all day there and there's just
oodles of room....Hmmmmm

Wolf, you think we could make it to the lake or on down the river in kayaks?
Kinda iffy on new water, a little bit of a drag to get the yaks down but it
would be an adventure......... We could get a cart and tow the yaks to the
top of the hill and they could be locked up and returned for or whatever. A
true story in the making as it were.

john

Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 3/23/06 10:20 AM, in article
, "Scott Seidman"
wrote:

I think CWRU lost a big opportunity when it passed
him up.

A lot of people would agree with you.

Scott Cowan is on the rumor wish list for replacements.

I'm just glad I'm a worker bee (though sometimes wish I had tenure
protection...)

Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On 3/23/06 10:21 AM, in article
, "asadi"
wrote:

Wolf, you think we could make it to the lake or on down the river in kayaks?

If by "the lake" you mean Gitcheegumee, I'll defer to someone else. But if
you mean lakes in general, there are LOTS of them up there, both brookie and
warm water, that would lend themselves to floating, either kayak or float
tube.

Can't speak to rivers either, except to point out that UP rivers,
particularly western UP, are notable for their falls. :-)

Bill