Spotted LM

Old June 7th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Richard Liebert

Default Spotted LM

I boated a 3lb LM yesterday that was covered with black splotches. Other
than the splotches, the fish looked great. Anyone know what's going on with
the fish?

It was on Van Sciver Lake in SE PA.

Old June 7th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Joe Haubenreich

One bass released in our club tournament this past Saturday was marked like
Old Paint.... as if someone had drawn a world map on it with a black marker.

No one knows why these dark blotches occur, but the black spots are not a
Largemouth Bass Virus symptom, in case you're wondering. If they do result
from some sort of organism, chance are it's benign to bass and harmless to
warm-blooded predators as well.

Joe Haubenreich
www.secretweaponlures.com
First real spinnerbait change in 50 years!
_______________________

Old June 7th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Brad Coovert

Several bass in the pond across the street have black splotches. They are all
very healthy looking, are getting bigger and fight like you know what. So, I
would say that the splotches are not a big deal to the bass.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Old June 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM
go-bassn

Pretty common around here Richard, especially on Van Sciver Lake. I caught
a 6# there a few years back that had a raccoon-mask on its eyes, pretty
cool. Say, have we met on the water?

Warren

Old June 7th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Bob La Londe

Speaking of which... Is there a definitive way to identify a spotted bass
vs a largemouth bass?

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index

Old June 7th, 2004, 04:54 PM
go-bassn

Mouth is smaller, and there's a very distinctive oval of teeth on the SB's
tongue.

Warren

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
Speaking of which... Is there a definitive way to identify a spotted bass
vs a largemouth bass?

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums
Fishing & Boating Link Index
www.YumaBassMan.com

"Richard Liebert" wrote in
message

Old June 7th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Richard Liebert

Warren - I fish on a Bass Tracker Jet Boat. Only two of these on Van Sciver.
Mine usually has the bicycle seat setup on the bow. I'll look for you, I
know you fish Van Sciver and Manor.

-Rick

Old June 7th, 2004, 07:04 PM
go-bassn

Great Rick, looking forward to meeting you. Ever consider fishing (Or do
you know about) the Tuesday night tournaments? Nice break to the workweek
for me...

Look for me in the cream/green Gambler...

Old June 7th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Richard Liebert

Who runs the Tue night tournament?

I usually fish with Bucks County Rod and Reel. Nice buncha guys! The've been
real nice to me and my son who started with the club at age 12.

-Rick

Old June 7th, 2004, 09:53 PM
go-bassn

It's just a bunch of PWC members, been going on for 25 years or so. They
start next Tuesday, launches at 6:30 from sailboat cove ramp. $15 per
person, includes lunker. You & your son would make a perfect team.
Weigh-in is at midnight.

Mike, the leader of your club, knows me well.

WW