Best knot for joining dacron and fireline?

Old March 25th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Harald

Default Best knot for joining dacron and fireline?

We're filling a Penn reel with dacron backing, and plan to top up with
a couple hundred yards of fireline. Which knot will do best in
preventing both slipping, and one line cutting the other?

TIA,

Harald Egeberg, Oslo, Norway.
Old March 25th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Mark W. Oots

"Harald" wrote in message
om...
We're filling a Penn reel with dacron backing, and plan to top up with
a couple hundred yards of fireline. Which knot will do best in
preventing both slipping, and one line cutting the other?

TIA,

Harald Egeberg, Oslo, Norway.

I've always been a fan of the uniknot system. A uni to uni draws against
itself and maintains near 100% strength. The knots actually do slip, but
only until they come in contact with each other, which is how you tighten
them down. Once cinched tight, the harder the pull, the tighter the knot
holds....A bonus is that the uniknot is easier to tie than a blood knot.

A really easy way to tie the knots is to get one of these fast tyer or
similar, usually sold to fly fishers. Uniknots can be used to tie to
terminal tackle, line to line, or line to backing. Of course the old standby
Albright knot also works well, especially for lines of different diameters,
but it is a little harder to tie.

Mark

---

Old March 26th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Jerry

Mark W. Oots wrote:
"Harald" wrote in message
om...

[...]

I'm with you Mark in that I join all lines together using the Uniknot.
Ditto for the Palomar knot for hooks, lures, flies or what ever. These
are the only two knots in my bag.

Jerry

Old March 26th, 2004, 03:58 AM
David H. Lipman

Ah yes, the Palomar. That's #1 on my list ! Always use that for Surf Fishing for; Blues,
Stripers, Tunney, etc.

Palomar knot
http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm

Uni knot
http://www.tackletactics.co.nz/uniknot.html

Dave

Old March 26th, 2004, 01:42 PM
joe

In article ,
"Mark W. Oots" mark_ctc@(delete this)ameritech.net wrote:

"Harald" wrote in message
om...
We're filling a Penn reel with dacron backing, and plan to top up with
a couple hundred yards of fireline. Which knot will do best in
preventing both slipping, and one line cutting the other?

TIA,

Harald Egeberg, Oslo, Norway.

I've always been a fan of the uniknot system. A uni to uni draws against
itself and maintains near 100% strength. The knots actually do slip, but
only until they come in contact with each other, which is how you tighten
them down. Once cinched tight, the harder the pull, the tighter the knot
holds....A bonus is that the uniknot is easier to tie than a blood knot.

I would agree on this but add that you may want to add extra wraps on
the fireline and maybe both. Most braided lines are slick and keeping
knots from slipping requires additional wraps/twists to make sure that
the knot is reliable.

I am not certain about the fireline as some of these lines may have some
method to make the knots hold better such as line shape or an additional
coating.

Usually joining lines with a Uni you can go with 4 - 5 wraps on a light
line and if joining a heavier shock leader use three wraps. On braided
lines I have seen suggestions to use 8 wraps and even a suggestion to
double the line on the braid before tying the join.

Good fishin'

atljoe
--
"Atlanta Joe" aka Joe Webb
Flats fishing is Flat Fun!
Old March 26th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Rodney LongShot

Harald wrote:

We're filling a Penn reel with dacron backing, and plan to top up with
a couple hundred yards of fireline. Which knot will do best in
preventing both slipping, and one line cutting the other?

TIA,

I use the double nail knot to join all "spectra" lines (fireline is
Spectra" to mono, it has never failed me, I even use this for shark
fishing. This knot will even work better with SPectra to Dacron

It is also the smallest diameter knot that two lines can be joined with

Here is directions using my tool (no longer available, but you can use
other tools like the Fast Tie)

http://ezknot.com/line2line.htm

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Long Shot rig

Old March 26th, 2004, 05:37 PM
licker

This quote was taken from the Berkley Fireline site.

"Our Berkley Pro Staff recommends a Palomar knot to connect terminal tackle
and lures to FireLine. To keep your line from slipping around the spool
arbor, tie a length of monofilament backing to the arbor and then tie
FireLine to the backing with a UNI to UNI knot."

Sarge