New Tackle Box

Old August 25th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Joe Giddings

Default New Tackle Box

I have been out of the fishing loop for quite a while now. My old rod was
broken (snapped the tip off in the trunk during a move) and my reel simply
vanished. So, I went to the store and picked up a $30 Shakespeare rod (Ugly
Stick, med action) & spinning reel (Whatever came with it, don't remember at
the moment) combo.

Next was the tackle box. Well, I opened it up and everything was a
disgusting mess. The hooks were all rusted on everything, and most of my
good stuff was missing or in poor condition. I salvaged a few things (my
hula popper, my first hard lure, for instance. The skirt is in terrible
shape, but I can replace that). I tossed the mess of a box and went and
bought an $10 box.

I won't even comment on the condition of the plastic worms I had in there.
Yuck.

Essentially, I am starting all over again.

So, now I have a new rod & reel, and a new tackle box with a spool of 8lb.
test line, and nothing else. I plan on buying things like hooks, bobbers,
sinkers, and their like, but I am very uncertain what else I should think
about tossing into this thing. I will mainly be fishing on the local rivers
here in eastern NC, but I may be doing some lake stuff too. You never know.
The Tar River and Pamlico can be a bit murky depending on where you go, so I
need to be ready for murky and clean waters.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and I am not exclusively a bass fisher. Sometimes, I just like to toss
out a line with a bobber on it and see what bites whatever passes for bait
on that day. I have caught many a sunfish and their like on bread (didn't
like my sandwich that day), of all things.

Old August 25th, 2004, 08:16 PM

Hey....Welcome back to the fun world of fishing. I have been fishing for
over 60 years and heavy duty bass fishing for over 32, and to answer
your question could end up being a novel. Your best bet would go to a
tackle/bait shop that is local for you, and ask the same questions you
asked here. Do not go to a K-mart/Wal-Mart for any answers either, they
sell the stuff and not many people there fish. Good luck and most of all
enjoy the outdoors..Take care..

sket

Old August 26th, 2004, 04:02 AM
JStONGE123

All you need is some jigheads, twister tails and a #13 silver floating Rapala.

The Durango 95 purred away real horrorshow. A nice warm vibratey feeling all
through your guttiwuts.