Everything Conneaut, Ohio

Old June 13th, 2009, 11:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ed Gildone

Default Everything Conneaut, Ohio

I recently came across the website from my hometown, Conneaut, Ohio.
The website is http://everythingconneautohio.com . The page that might
interest this group is the steelhead fishing page. It is billed as the
steelhead capital of the world. The people of Oregon may take issue
with that statement. When I was a kid Lake Erie was dying and all I
caught in Conneaut Creek was Bullhead. They have come a long way back,
but The Steelhead Capital of the World I think is going a little too far.

I was there last March for my brother's funeral, but did not get to
fish, but every time I crossed Conneaut Creek there were a half dozen
fisherman fishing.

Has anyone fished there? If so tell me what you think of it.

Thanks.

Ed
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jun 14, 6:16*am, Ed Gildone wrote:
I recently came across the website from my hometown, Conneaut, Ohio.
The website ishttp://everythingconneautohio.com. *The page that might
interest this group is the steelhead fishing page. It is billed as the
steelhead capital of the world. *The people of Oregon may take issue
with that statement. *When I was a kid Lake Erie was dying and all I
caught in Conneaut Creek was Bullhead. They have come a long way back,
but The Steelhead Capital of the World I think is going a little too far.

I was there last March for my brother's funeral, but did not get to
fish, but every time I crossed Conneaut Creek there were a half dozen
fisherman fishing.

Has anyone fished there? *If so tell me what you think of it.

Thanks.

Ed

Ed; you're from Conneaut? How old are you?

--riverman
Old June 14th, 2009, 01:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Guy[_2_]

On Jun 13, 5:16*pm, Ed Gildone wrote:
I recently came across the website from my hometown, Conneaut, Ohio.
The website ishttp://everythingconneautohio.com. *The page that might
interest this group is the steelhead fishing page. It is billed as the
steelhead capital of the world. *The people of Oregon may take issue
with that statement. *When I was a kid Lake Erie was dying and all I
caught in Conneaut Creek was Bullhead. They have come a long way back,
but The Steelhead Capital of the World I think is going a little too far.

I was there last March for my brother's funeral, but did not get to
fish, but every time I crossed Conneaut Creek there were a half dozen
fisherman fishing.

Has anyone fished there? *If so tell me what you think of it.

Thanks.

Ed

As a former Oregonian steelheader, and proficient at the sport, I
would not say anything negative concerning Conneaut. If it is that
good, there must be some pretty good steelies there and I would like
to try it myself. Hopefully my travels will take me near there some
day.

As a side, my Father-In-Law coined the phrase "Is Lake Earie Dying?".
He was in charge of the clean-up when working for the EPA. He is 89
now.

Guy
Old June 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"Ed Gildone" wrote in message
I recently came across the website from my hometown, Conneaut, Ohio. The
website is http://everythingconneautohio.com . The page that might
interest this group is the steelhead fishing page. It is billed as the
steelhead capital of the world. The people of Oregon may take issue with
that statement. When I was a kid Lake Erie was dying and all I caught in
Conneaut Creek was Bullhead. They have come a long way back, but The
Steelhead Capital of the World I think is going a little too far.

I was there last March for my brother's funeral, but did not get to fish,
but every time I crossed Conneaut Creek there were a half dozen fisherman
fishing.

Has anyone fished there? If so tell me what you think of it.

Thanks.

Ed

Ed, I've fished there. I like it very much but it is just a tad on the
'weather dependant' side...I mean I live five hours south and what with the
changing weather (typical Great Lake weather) it is hard to plan a trip.
....and the steelhead can get be put down or get lockjaw by the changing
weather. In any event it is a great place to fish.

they are all stockers as the rivers warm too much to support natural
reproduction. The fry are put in the river (or heck smelt I don't know) and
make it down to Lake Erie to grow and return.

I usually fish the Grand River and it's tribs., ..Lake Metroparks has done
terrific job of making a series of parks along the river which make for
great access for fishing and/or canoeing.

A lot of people don't realize that after the steelies quit running,
smallmouth bass come for the lake and run...gosh that is better fishing than
the steelhead IMHO.

....and all summer long it is just a great place to float and picnic.

http://www.lakemetroparks.com/

....john

Old June 14th, 2009, 07:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ed Gildone

riverman wrote:
[...]

Riverman,

I am 72 years young!

Ed
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

On Jun 15, 2:40*am, Ed Gildone wrote:
riverman wrote:
[...]

Ahh, then you didn't know my old college buddy, John Bunnell. He would
be 50 this year if he were still with us...

--riverman
Old June 15th, 2009, 04:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ed Gildone

riverman wrote:
[...]

The Bunnell name is familiar, but I wouldn't have known him since I left
Conneaut when I was 17 and for the last 30 years only went back there
every 5 years for High School class reunions. I will go back for our
55th the last week in July.

Ed