The 4th in the Midwest

Old July 4th, 2009, 05:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2008

Default The 4th in the Midwest

Night before the 4th is family night. That's where you use the
fireworks you bought in Missouri and South Dakota. You add in the
local fireworks which are almost as good. Throw into the mix large
quantities of you favorite malted beverage, a severe thunderstorm,
Kansas City AND Carolina BBQ, German potato salad, multple pitchers of
sangria, some furniture polish shots and wooo doggies, we're havin'
some fun now.
Frank Reid
Old July 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 21:08:18 -0700 (PDT), Frank Reid © 2008
wrote:

Night before the 4th is family night. That's where you use the
fireworks you bought in Missouri and South Dakota. You add in the
local fireworks which are almost as good. Throw into the mix large
quantities of you favorite malted beverage, a severe thunderstorm,
Kansas City AND Carolina BBQ, German potato salad, multple pitchers of
sangria, some furniture polish shots and wooo doggies, we're havin'
some fun now.
Frank Reid

And here in Maine we will spend the day fishing. Just got back from
the dam. Some nice fish on dries as well as small nymphs. Lunch in
hamburgers, hotdogs, potato salad, cole slaw and watermellon. Won't
do much more fishing because the water is so high.

Cook out tonight with a big fire on the small beach next to the dock.
Fireworks at 9 (Whit has brought in a friend to do them).

One bad thing, however: most of us are growing gills from all the
rain. Bad storms passed over last evening with t-storms for about two
hours and rain all night. Made for good sleeping, but the lawn is a
swamp.

Better than being in Taxachusetts, that's for sure!

Old July 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry

Dave LaCourse wrote:
And here in Maine we will spend the day fishing. ...
Won't
do much more fishing because the water is so high.

Amazing how one can spend the day fishing without doing
much fishing because of high water. ;-)

Started drizzling rain during the night here in Urbana
and the rain continues. The pre-parade 5K run and the
parade itself will proceed according to schedule during
the rain unless there's lightning. If there's lightning
everything gets canceled.

Me and the pup went to the river yesterday but the biggest
hatches of the summer, the rubber hatch and the aluminum
hatch, (inner tubers and canoeists ;-), were out in full
force so I didn't even string up the fly pole.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old July 4th, 2009, 06:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"Frank Reid © 2008" wrote in message
Night before the 4th is family night. That's where you use the
fireworks you bought in Missouri and South Dakota. You add in the
local fireworks which are almost as good. Throw into the mix large
quantities of you favorite malted beverage, a severe thunderstorm,
Kansas City AND Carolina BBQ, German potato salad, multple pitchers of
sangria, some furniture polish shots and wooo doggies, we're havin'
some fun now.
Frank Reid\

Much the same here Frank. they're having a three day fest downtown...all the
foods you can eat but the beer is $5 a pop so I put a little bottle in my
pocket and sip it as I walk.

The fireworks were incredible, especially for such a small town as Dayton.
They have two stages for music and last night I saw and heard some excellent
blues. But the prime time for me is tomorrow night (Sunday) Ralph Stanley is
coming to town!

john

Old July 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

On Jul 4, 11:26*am, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Dave LaCourse wrote:
And here in Maine we will spend the day fishing. ...
Won't
do much more fishing because the water is so high.

Amazing how one can spend the day fishing without doing
much fishing because of high water. ;-)

Started drizzling rain during the night here in Urbana
and the rain continues.

I have seen fireworks all over the world, urban and rural, but the
best I ever saw was 4JUL71 in (hard to believe) Rantoul Illinois. Was
a student at Chanute AFB (now closed). The little burg of RT put on
the greatest show ever.

Bought a canoe at the Sears store while there so I could poke around
at Kickapoo with a 6ft fiberglass Phillipson 5 wt.

cheers

oz, living on memories
Old July 6th, 2009, 01:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Dave LaCourse

The 5th in Maine was one of my best on the river. Although Florida
Power and Light in all their wisdom are running 3900 cfs and thereby
flooding much of the down-stream folks in NH, fishing was terrific.

I didn't go out this morning. Friends left on the 8:30 boat and it
was too cold and wet to go fishing. So, Jenny and I curled up in
Trail's End cabin and snoozed until lunch. Burned a lot of wood, for
there few things in this world more comforting than a warm cabin with
rain pounding on the roof, and curling up with your dog. Ok, ok, a
warm woman would be better......

The Dam was blown out as most of the river was. At 3900 cfs there are
eddies formed on both sides of the river next to the dam. The one on
the south side is better because it has lots of trickled water from
the dam forming a nice current or two. Some of you may know this as
the Kiddy Pool. During normal flows it contains lots of small 10 -12
inch landlocks that will readilly come to a dry fly. During high
flows, the big brookies and salmon move in.

My first cast with Harry's Killer Caddis dry (#16) hooked me up with a
very nice 14 inch male brookie. Wash the fly, apply some Frog's Fanny
and two casts later I had on a decent (16 inch) salmon. It went on
like this for most of the afternoon. About 3:30 I hooked and landed a
20 inch salmon, immediately followed by a 16+ inch female brookie. I
didn't count, but I must have hooked and landed 20 fish in 2 hours. I
gave my spot to a friend from Bath, ME, along with one of Harry's
flies. Dill too caught some fish.

There were two other guys fishing what little water was fishable, but
neither of them caught the fish that Dill and I did. Harry's fly is
simply amazing.

Cold tonight, but dry. Heading home on Tuesday and won't be back
until late August, so I will give it all my best effort tomorrow.
Gonna be tough going home after so many weeks here, but it'll be nice
to sleep in my own bed, potty on my own potty, eat food cooked by
myself, and, oh yeah, see Jo. d;o)

Hope I didn't hi-jack your thread, Frank, but I just had to tell
someone of today's fishing. sigh

Old July 7th, 2009, 07:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

wrote:

Night before the 4th is family night. That's where you use the
fireworks you bought in Missouri and South Dakota. You add in the
local fireworks which are almost as good. Throw into the mix large
quantities of you favorite malted beverage, a severe thunderstorm,
Kansas City AND Carolina BBQ, German potato salad, multple pitchers of
sangria, some furniture polish shots and wooo doggies, we're havin'
some fun now.
Frank Reid

We had a good Fourth down our way, too...went out to Horn Island (one of our
barrier islands in/on the Gulf Islands Nat'l Seashore) with about 150 or so of
our closest friends (IOW, we knew about 50 of them, and about 100 were tagalongs
- which is always fine...if they look good in a bikini...)...in about 25 boats,
and boiled the 100-plus pounds of shrimp we caught Friday, along with about 10
dozen crabs, and another hundred or so pounds of grillables, from red snapper to
ribs and brisket, along with fruit-n-veggies, etc., and enough liquid
refreshment to open a nightclub...we had a 120 quart-er and 4 grills going,
along with the aforementioned 150 people...Sunday morning was interesting, but
thus far, no hospitalizations reported, and AFAIK, no one needed bail thrown, so
we consider it a success...

Happy belated Fourth,
....and down here, fireworks seem to be handed out, so it was something akin to
WW3 all over the coast...
Old July 11th, 2009, 12:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tom Littleton

wrote in message
no hospitalizations reported, and AFAIK, no one needed bail thrown, so
we consider it a success...

pretty much the hallmark of a successful social event!g
Tom