Gut hooked fish

Old July 23rd, 2004, 09:48 PM
Jack Schmitt

Default Gut hooked fish

I would like to know how many in this group have caught fish with a hook
that had been left in place. What shape was the fish in?? Where was the
hook located??
Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Jack Schmitt" wrote in message
I would like to know how many in this group have caught fish with a hook
that had been left in place. What shape was the fish in?? Where was the
hook located??

I've caught fish (largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, northern pike, muskie)
that have had hooks down in their throat (but with line still attached) and
lures/hooks dangling from their jaws. I've caught walleyes and smallmouth
that had hooks (partially rusted) coming from their anus. I caught a 45
inch muskie that had a hook imbedded in the gills and a couple inches of
line coming from the hook. The fish was in fine shape and fought like mad.

I've caught northern pike and walleyes that have had pieces of gill raker
torn loose and dangling. In some cases, the gill section was still bright
red, in other cases, the gill tissue was gray and obviously dead. But the
fish were in apparently good health and feeding fine.

I think that this is somewhat skewed because fish that are stressed (for
whatever reason) aren't going to be actively feeding and the chances of
catching them are pretty slim.

I have seen floating fish that I've somewhat briefly checked out and in most
cases, I've seen a piece of line coming from the fish's gullet and they were
obviously gut hooked and a victim of delayed mortality. One was a real
heartbreaker of a walleye, it measured 34 1/2 inches long. I was going to
grab it and give it to a taxidermist friend of mine, but it had been
floating just a tad too long.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:56 PM
RichZ

I caught a little fish (12" or so) fish on a drop shot last weekend that
had what appeared to be a 4/0 EWG buried in its gullet and about 6" of line
out it's mouth.

I've caught plenty of bass with snells out their butt holes, and caught one
once with about 6 feet of line hanging out the gill and a worm hook
securely buried in the roof of its mouth.

But the worst ere a SM with a wiggle wart in its throat and a pike with a
huge mepps buctail spinner in its throat.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old July 23rd, 2004, 11:56 PM
Budd Cochran

"Jack Schmitt" wrote in message
I would like to know how many in this group have caught fish with a hook
that had been left in place. What shape was the fish in?? Where was the
hook located??

Would this count?

My eldest son and I were fishing a local irrigation reservoir when he
snagged some discarded fishing line with a gold spoon. After pulling in
about 15 feet of 10-12 pound line, he found a 12 inch Rainbow trout deep
hooked ( not quite gut) on the heavy line along with a one ounce sinker.

We cut the line and released the trout. He'll save the sinker for catfishing
in the river.

VBG

Budd

Old July 24th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Bob La Londe

I have caught trout in stocker lakes with several hooks in place. Seemed to
be ok, but ...

--
** FREE Fishing Lures
** Weekly drawing