Question about spinning reels

Old June 10th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Galen Zink

Default Question about spinning reels

I am planning on buying a new Shimano Spirex to fish Flukes and Bass
Assassins. And I see that they come in either front drag or rear drag.

Whats the difference and what do you prefer?

Thanks guys!

Old June 10th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Marty

Galen Zink wrote in message
I am planning on buying a new Shimano Spirex to fish Flukes and Bass
Assassins. And I see that they come in either front drag or rear drag.

Whats the difference and what do you prefer?

I prefer front drags. They have bigger washers and are generally considered
better. But I think rear drags have gotten a lot better and will do the job,
so it boils down to personal preference. It is said that rear drags are
easier to adjust during a fight, which may be true, but I don't have a
problem adjusting the front ones. I still use a couple of rear drag reels
and they are no problem at all.

Old June 10th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Jeff Durham

I have the Spirex and a couple of Solstaces. All of them are the rear drag.
Front drag is probably built better (been around longer?), but I have
enjoyed the rear drag. My Spirex is a 4000 which is what I use for salmon
fishing. It has never been a problem and it was easy to adjust the drag
(mainly the fightin' drag) when landing a salmon. My fishing buddy has a
front drag. He tried to adjust the drag and his line snapped during his
first salmon run. I am sure that was operator error rather than an issue
with front drag.

Bottom line -- I think both work well. It is just personal preference.

Jeff

Old June 11th, 2004, 01:03 AM
dscotts

Galen Zink wrote:

I am planning on buying a new Shimano Spirex to fish Flukes and Bass
Assassins. And I see that they come in either front drag or rear drag.

Whats the difference and what do you prefer?

Thanks guys!

I have used the 2000 rear drag for years and liked it but I am
considering another one and may go with the front one because if has
another bearing, so should be smoother, and they call it knew so looks
like its a bit of a redesigned reel which I might have some interest in.
but it will be tough giving up the rear drag, turn the knob too what you
generally want it to be and then there's the fighting lever which lets
you adjust the drag +/- on the fly by simply pushing a lever instead of
messing with knobs. pretty nice ..... I love never having to look down
to flip the bail, or basically, never mess with it plus I like the 2
pole handle.

the only thing I don't like about the reels in general is the amount of
gear play in the reel. I think it has something to do with the extra
gear mechanism involved in designing the reel to stop with the trigger
in the proper top dead center position on the backspin to properly flick
the trigger. the result, there is a lot of play, sloppy comes to mind.
you grab the bail and lock its motion with one hand and you can turn the
handle back and forth some before it actually engages the bail. makes it
a little sloppy. you don't see this in even the cheapest of normal
reels. but like I said, I like the trigger so I will be buying another
and the deal in Bass Pro is pretty good, same as Cabala's (89.99, rod
and reel) but I like the rod handle design better on the BP's Bionic Blade.
Old June 11th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Galen Zink" wrote in message
I am planning on buying a new Shimano Spirex to fish Flukes and Bass
Assassins. And I see that they come in either front drag or rear drag.

Whats the difference and what do you prefer?

Thanks guys!

Front drag reels have larger drag washers, which heat up less and are
typically smoother operating. Because of the location of the adjustment,
readjusting the drag is not as easy for some.

Rear drag reels have the drag setting knob in the rear of the reel, which
might be handy if you need to readjust the drag during the fight. But
typically, the drag is not as smooth and efficient as the front type models.

Now, how does this translate to real life fishing conditions? I've fished
for most freshwater species of fish and rarely, if ever have I found a need
to readjust the drag during the fight with a fish, not even with king
salmon, lake trout or rainbows, fish that typically make long, fast runs.

Give me a good front drag reel with a decent operating drag, allow me to set
it properly the first time and I'm happy. If I need to apply more drag,
it's quite simple to lightly cup the spool as the fish runs. If I need to
give the fish line, it's again quite simple to bow the rod to the fish and
let him surge.

Or, if it's going to be a long, drawn out battle with a brute, I'll flip the
anti-reverse switch off and back reel the fish. This has worked on muskies
to 42 inches (over 20 pounds) on 8 pound test line and a front drag spinning
reel.

With a bass, I've never had a fight long enough to readjust the drag.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old June 11th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Charles Summers

Yeah... exactly what Steve said!

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old June 12th, 2004, 01:01 AM
Jack Schmitt

"Galen Zink" wrote in message
[...]

Another advantage of a front drag is, when you buy a new spool, you get
a new drag.
Old June 12th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Marty

Jack Schmitt wrote in message
Another advantage of a front drag is, when you buy a new spool, you get
a new drag.

Jack, are you sure? I know sure as hell when you get a spare spool with a
reel purchase, you don't get a spare drag. I don't have access to the parts
diagram and list for any of my reels as I'm typing, but I'm guessing if you
order a spool, you get a spool. To get another drag you'd probably have to
order a drag assembly which is not included with a spool.

Old June 12th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Jack Schmitt

Marty wrote:

Jack Schmitt wrote in message
Another advantage of a front drag is, when you buy a new spool, you get
a new drag.

Jack, are you sure? I know sure as hell when you get a spare spool with a
reel purchase, you don't get a spare drag. I don't have access to the parts
diagram and list for any of my reels as I'm typing, but I'm guessing if you
order a spool, you get a spool. To get another drag you'd probably have to
order a drag assembly which is not included with a spool.

I repaired reels for many years at Clays Sporting Goods in Nashville
after my retirement. Clays is now closed. I know of no instance of a
spool for a front drag reel that did not include new drag washers.
Believe me, it is much easier to keep a front drag working properly. It
is also much easier and less expensive to rebuild a front drag.

I would suggest that when you look at reels, ask to see an extra spool
and see for yourself. If you ever find a new spool that does not include
the drag, I wish you would post the manufacturer here. I have several
Penn, Shimano, and Diawa reels with extra spools for each and all have
their own drags. If you are fishing and want to change line sizes by
changing spools, it would be rather cumbersome to have to remove washers
from one spool and replace them on another.

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.
Old June 13th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Marty

I repaired reels for many years at Clays Sporting Goods in Nashville
after my retirement. Clays is now closed. I know of no instance of a
spool for a front drag reel that did not include new drag washers.
Believe me, it is much easier to keep a front drag working properly. It
is also much easier and less expensive to rebuild a front drag.

I would suggest that when you look at reels, ask to see an extra spool
and see for yourself. If you ever find a new spool that does not include
the drag, I wish you would post the manufacturer here. I have several
Penn, Shimano, and Diawa reels with extra spools for each and all have
their own drags. If you are fishing and want to change line sizes by
changing spools, it would be rather cumbersome to have to remove washers
from one spool and replace them on another.

Well, for sure, the spare spools provided with new Daiwa reels (Regal-Zs) do
not have drags. As to ordering a spare spool, there are nine separate part
numbers that comprise the entire drag and spool. So it certainly seems to me
that a spool with drag would cost considerably more than just literally a
spool. If I want to change spools, there's no removal of washers as such.
It's just a matter of unscrewing the drag knob and putting it on the other
spool. I'm no mechanic, but apparently the washers are part of that drag
knob.