Peeler Crab

Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:33 PM
fox66

Default Peeler Crab

I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have. Could anyone tell me
if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how would
you fish them?

Thanks

Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:46 PM
reg

"fox66" wrote in message
I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have. Could anyone tell

me
if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how

would
you fish them?

Thanks

well me ole lubber, what you need to do is catch a nice bass and use that
for crab bait, works bloody well !!!!

Old October 22nd, 2005, 09:08 PM
Clint Sharp

In message , reg
writes

"fox66" wrote in message
I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have. Could anyone tell

me
if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how

would
you fish them?

Thanks

well me ole lubber, what you need to do is catch a nice bass and use that
for crab bait, works bloody well !!!!

Failing that, a nice nub end of bacon rind (the thick bit that isn't
thick enough to go through the slicer/is more rind than bacon) dangled
onto the sea bed from a child's crab line (preferably your own child's)
will attract crabs like nothing else in my experience.
--
Clint Sharp
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:02 PM
Iain Douglas

fox66 wrote:
I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have. Could anyone tell me
if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how would
you fish them?

Thanks

Hardback crabs aren't used as bait. I've seen very small hardbacks (10p
size) coughed up occasionally but presenting them as bait would be
difficult. Have a look here
http://www.wirralseafishing.co.uk/peelercrab.htm for more info.

Old October 23rd, 2005, 12:58 AM
Derek.Moody

In article , fox66
wrote:
I read everywhere that peeler crab is the bait to have.

More a spring/early summer bait. The problem usually is keeping the small
fish and less desirable species from taking them before the ones you want...

Down here it's a mistake to use them once the sun is up or wrasse nick the
lot.

Could anyone tell me
if other crab is as good the hard backed ones i mean. If they are how would
you fish them?

It's the scent trail that does it. Temptation wise, to a bass peelers are
the equivalent of smoked bacon sizzling in the pan.

If you can get a lot of damaged hardbacks (trawlers usually have a few
buckets full to shovel over the side) pulp them in a steel bucket with a
heavy stick and use as groundbait. Fish another damaged hardback among that
and it's at least as good.

Cheerio,