San Juan questions

Old December 14th, 2003, 12:30 PM
riverman

Default San Juan questions

Seeing as how I got into flyfishing after I left my ol' Arizona home, I
never had the pleasure of fishing the San Juan, although it was almost in my
backyard (we got big backyards out west) and a river I canoed quite
regularly. Two small questions, since I am almost definately gonna be back
in the USofA this summer and rw's picture page has me all charged up.
1) Where exactly is the stretch that gets fished, and are there more trout
downstream from there (OK, I know thats technically two questions....) For
example, are there trout as far downstream as Montezuma Creek, or Sand
Island?
2) What's the season? If I'm back in the summer, is it unreasonable to meet
up with some folks and fish it?

Thanks, and I ain't apologizing for nothing. ;-)
--riverman

Old December 14th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Bill Mason

"riverman" wrote in message
1) Where exactly is the stretch that gets fished, and are there more trout
downstream from there (OK, I know thats technically two questions....) For
example, are there trout as far downstream as Montezuma Creek, or Sand
Island?

I've never fished the SJ myself and I'm sure that you'll get some more
specific answers than this, but www.ifly4trout.com would be a good place to
start.

Cheers,
Bill

Old December 14th, 2003, 07:20 PM
rw

Bill Mason wrote:
"riverman" wrote in message

1) Where exactly is the stretch that gets fished, and are there more trout
downstream from there (OK, I know thats technically two questions....) For
example, are there trout as far downstream as Montezuma Creek, or Sand
Island?

I've never fished the SJ myself and I'm sure that you'll get some more
specific answers than this, but www.ifly4trout.com would be a good place to
start.

Bruiser could tell you, but he's on his honeymoon, so leave him alone. :-)

The only places I've fished on the San Juan have been on the stretch
extending about four or five miles downstream from Navajo Dam -- the
so-called "Quality Water."

Old December 14th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Willi

riverman wrote:
Seeing as how I got into flyfishing after I left my ol' Arizona home, I
never had the pleasure of fishing the San Juan, although it was almost in my
backyard (we got big backyards out west) and a river I canoed quite
regularly. Two small questions, since I am almost definately gonna be back
in the USofA this summer and rw's picture page has me all charged up.
1) Where exactly is the stretch that gets fished, and are there more trout
downstream from there (OK, I know thats technically two questions....) For
example, are there trout as far downstream as Montezuma Creek, or Sand
Island?
2) What's the season? If I'm back in the summer, is it unreasonable to meet
up with some folks and fish it?

Thanks, and I ain't apologizing for nothing. ;-)
--riverman

Like RW said, Bruiser's the man to ask but he's on his honeymoon. There
is public water for about 4 miles below Najaho Dam. Then there is a
stretch of water some 10? 20? miles long where the water is still cold
enough to support trout. This is all private and needs to be floated.
The river quickly warms to the point where no trout can survive. If the
present low flows continue into the Summer, the length of river that
will support fish will be shortened dramatically.

willi

Old December 15th, 2003, 07:25 AM
riverman

"Willi" wrote in message

riverman wrote:
[...]

Wow, it sounds great! Its looking about 95%+ that I'll be back in Arizona
this summer, either for a month or for two months, and if so, I am
definately going to go up to the dam, camp for a few days, then put in my
canoe and float the lower stretches. From the TR on Mike Mora's website, it
sounds like that stretch fishes all year, and its only about 5 hours from my
house. BSEG.

--riverman

Old December 15th, 2003, 07:39 AM
rw

riverman wrote:

Wow, it sounds great! Its looking about 95%+ that I'll be back in Arizona
this summer, either for a month or for two months, and if so, I am
definately going to go up to the dam, camp for a few days, then put in my
canoe and float the lower stretches. From the TR on Mike Mora's website, it
sounds like that stretch fishes all year, and its only about 5 hours from my
house. BSEG.

You really should look up Bruiser (Bruce Hopper). He knows the San Juan
like no one else you will find without paying a $300 guide fee, and
probably not even then. He's also a total hoot to fish with.

P.S. When the going gets tough go to the chamois leech. :-)

Old December 15th, 2003, 11:36 AM
riverman

"rw" wrote in message
ink.net...
riverman wrote:

Wow, it sounds great! Its looking about 95%+ that I'll be back in

Arizona
this summer, either for a month or for two months, and if so, I am
definately going to go up to the dam, camp for a few days, then put in

my
canoe and float the lower stretches. From the TR on Mike Mora's website,

it
sounds like that stretch fishes all year, and its only about 5 hours

from my
house. BSEG.

You really should look up Bruiser (Bruce Hopper).

Oh, I definately plan on it. I'm already looking forward to this..
--riverman