New Orleans ????

Old July 9th, 2009, 08:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

Default New Orleans ????

....Well my sister in law and her husband are visiting from Germany. At first
he wanted to go to Myrtle Beach, Miami Florida, then travel route 66 and
some of highway 101 in California.....in two weeks.

So after telling him to Mapquest and look a the distances involved he has
calmed down very much.

Now we are thinking of Nashville and a few other country spots...he really
wants to see "small town" America. I am thinking of New Orleans....then up
north to the Shenandoah Valley .

I know small towns and such but I have never been to New Orleans so if you
guys could give me a tip on a campground close by or some place to go or
some music to hear...I would a appreciate it....

John

Old July 9th, 2009, 10:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

On Jul 9, 12:10*am, "asadi" wrote:

Well one of the classics is Preservation Hall for Dixieland
music . . . scruffy, tourist ridden etc, even so it and the changing
cast of musicians are very cool in my book. But small town?

You could do it Gonzo and country, mostly non interstate, in 3 days.
Back in the day we would do Provo, Utah to Jersey in 48 hours nonstop
via VW (no stops cept anything you can do in a gas stop) in Winter,
pre interstates, turnpikes OK if you had the money. But you'd need
some recently returned missionaries in your party as drivers.

Here's a better idea. Have them fly in to Omaha, or better Des Moines,
then go right across Iowa on secondaries, visit the small townes of NE
Nebraska (catch some night-time small town semi-pro baseball), then
swing down to the Platte and follow her West like the Pioneers, allow
for at least 2 days in a garage for the predictable breakdown, then
Cheyenne and Laramie, anyway you get my drift. Show them Euros some
real Westerm American country. Ahhhhh Elko in the morning, climbing
down the Sierras, the Bay from Coit Tower.

The Shenandoah Valley is not a bad idea either. I would add a valley
swing, one or 2 mountain ridges into West Virginia, say from Romney
W.VA, south. Capon Bridge etc.. Beautiful country that.

Good Luck

Old July 10th, 2009, 04:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 00:10:57 -0700, "asadi"
wrote:

...Well my sister in law and her husband are visiting from Germany. At first
he wanted to go to Myrtle Beach, Miami Florida, then travel route 66 and
some of highway 101 in California.....in two weeks.

So after telling him to Mapquest and look a the distances involved he has
calmed down very much.

Now we are thinking of Nashville and a few other country spots...he really
wants to see "small town" America. I am thinking of New Orleans....then up
north to the Shenandoah Valley .

I know small towns and such but I have never been to New Orleans so if you
guys could give me a tip on a campground close by or some place to go or
some music to hear...I would a appreciate it....

John

How _close_ is "close"? If you mean "anywhere in the vicinity of the NO metro
area" close, not only do I not know of one, even if I did, I'd not do that to
you. If you mean, "less than an hour or 2 away" close, yeah, I know several.
OTOH, it's summer in NO, so hotel rooms are pretty inexpensive...for a reason -
only the truly hardy want to be (or can be) outside for extended periods - it's
HOT and HUMID, or, it's squally raining, which cools it off temp-wise, but jacks
up the immunity. That said, if you are coming and determined to camp, I'd
recommend doing so on the western MS coast, like at Waveland or Bay St. Louis.
It won't be exactly, um, "cool," but it'll be cooler, and you're only about an
hour from the FQ/Vieux Carre.

As to doin's, Preservation Hall is about as described by ol' Sarge, and if
you're gonna be down here for a few days doing the tourist thing, it's a good
choice for an (early) evening. It closes about 10-11, so there's time to get
back somewhere fairly early, or, go do something else, as the mood strikes.
Fritzel's is also good for NO music/jazz in the FQ. There's a local paper,
Gambit Weekly, at www.bestofneworleans.com, that'll give you the same info many
locals use for such planning. Hey, it's New Orleans - hot or cold, night or
day, they'll be SOMETHING happening. For example, there's "Tales of the
Cocktail" happening now.

Oh - a by-the-by - I'd recall if you smoke, but a lot of NO is "Non Smoking,"
and with no rhyme or reason to an outsider - the aforementioned Preservation
Hall, for example. I put it quotes because there's _NO SMOKING_ and then,
there's "Non Smoking." It's not as Draconian as some places, but keep it in
mind.

If you need anything, drop me an email, and I'll send you my number. I'm pretty
much staying out of the city right now (it's been REALLY bad heat-wise, but it
has calmed a bit in the last coupla days - unfortunately, it's because of the
rain squalls), but I'll be there Tues and Wed next week if you're in then. Give
me a little notice, and you can crash at our place in the FQ at least that/those
night(s) - I don't if I'll stay Wed. night. Otherwise, I'm staying uptown at my
mother's, but I'd love to meet up if you're down here.

TC,
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

"DaveS" wrote in message
On Jul 9, 12:10 am, "asadi" wrote:

[...]

Dave

Dave, he's here in Dayton with me now...I'm think9ing a meandering route to
New Orleans and hping to come bachk up through the Shenandoah Valley. Just
bought another house and I can't really spare more than ten days right now
so we are going to leave the west until another trip...

Preservation Hall for Dixieland music....got it and thanks...

john

Old July 10th, 2009, 02:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

wrote:

[...]

It'd be a pleasure to meet for a drink.

How about the French Quarter RV park? I've got a pop-up with air con and
stuff so that may not be so bad...the map shows it as being only about six
blocks from bourbon St.

...Yeah, I'm pretty used to "no smoking" here in Ohio too...I've kind of got
in the habit of taking a look at my surroundings and just exactly what it is
I'm lighting!

John

Old July 10th, 2009, 02:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 06:14:33 -0700, "asadi"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

My advice would be no on anything in the NO metro area. I've never been to the
FQ RV park, nor have I heard of it. I googled it, and it's not in the FQ, but
up on Claiborne Ave. While the close-up pics look OK, Claiborne is not an area
where a white boy from Ohio (even one such as yourself) and a German tourist of
any color probably want to be at night, esp. traversing on foot from the FQ. And
you'll have to do so if you plan on doing, well, anything. There's nothing in
that area to do at night except, well, get hurt.

If you do stay there, my advice is to be in the park by about 10pm and not leave
until daylight unless in a vehicle - take a cab, because parking is iffy in the
FQ itself. NO is, for the most part, a safe, vibrant city, full of decent
people of all colors, but there are areas where white skin doesn't want to be
during certain times (and there are areas where anything other than white skin
will get a roust). The problem with NO is that the OK areas and the "HOLY
****!" areas are often literally a block apart. The central FQ is about as safe
as anywhere, the uptown/western side, and the CBD (the "central business
district," which is what most would call "downtown") is generally fine, and the
downtown (in NO, the "downtown" side of an area is not "Downtown" as in the CBD,
it's merely a directional cue)/eastern side areas are pretty much OK (west of
the FQ is the Marigny, which is OK in the center, iffy on the edges), the part
on the lakeside/north of the FQ, however, er, not so much. That's where this RV
place is. FWIW, it's one of a couple of areas in NO that ladies, of any color,
hue, or religion tend to avoid day or night unless rapidly traveling through,
and even then... And if this park's "visitor rate" is like the hotels at this
time of the year, you might be all alone (and no, that won't be good). I don't
know much about RVing, and no nothing about RVing in NO, so ???

And from a practical standpoint, it'll be among the hottest areas in the FQ/CBD
area - it's far enough from the river, and blocked by the entire FQ and CBD, to
not get what little air movement there is. Not only that, according to the
website, it's $70.00 a night. Hell, for about that, you can get a hotel in the
FQ (and I'm talking a nice one - in about 2 months, that same room will be
around 200 or so) and for about a $100, you might swing a suite. Trust me, the
hotels will DEAL right now.

Actually, I have an idea - drop me an email with a phone number and I'll call ya
ASAP.

TC,
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid[_2_]

"Actually, I have an idea - drop me an email with a phone number and
I'll call ya ASAP."

Between any two ROFFians, this line is enough to lead to an event that
will be forever enshrined in YouTube lore.
Frank Reid
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:42:18 -0500, wrote:

eastern side areas are pretty much OK (west of the FQ is the Marigny,
which is OK in the center, iffy on the edges),

Not that it really matters, but I was typing fast and doing a coupla things, too
- the Marigny is not west of the FQ, it is on the eastern/downtown side. And
it's pretty cool, too - there are a number of good clubs there, such as
Charmaine Neville's Snug Harbor, etc. Most are along Frenchman Street in the
"heart" of the Marigny. The central area is OK, but the edges, as I said above,
are a bit iffy, esp. the northern/lakeside edge.

As to the whole uptown, downtown, river side and lake side thing, it's how much
is located in NO - for example, imagine a city block - the side toward Lake
Pontchartrain is, surprise, surprise, the "lake side," the side toward the MS
River, is, you guessed it, the "river side," the side toward the CBD is the
"downtown" side, and the side toward "uptown" is the uptown side. The only
screwy part is that even if the thing in question is on the eastern side of the
CBD, i.e., on the downtown side of "Downtown," the "sides" remain the same.

Also, many of the French names, esp. streets, are pronounced in a "local"
fashion - for example, "Conti" is pronounced "con-TIE," "Burgundy" is pronounced
"bur-GUN-dee," "Chartres" is pronounced "charter," etc. Tchoupitoulas, a street
you'll probably wind up going on (it's not in the FQ, but runs, generally, along
the river from the FQ), is pronounced "chop-a-two-la," but most simply call it
"chop," as in, "to get to Tip's (Tipitina's), you go up Chop to Napoleon
(that's pronounced "nasturtium") and hang a right..." If you mispronounce them,
folks will know what you mean, but it'll give you away as a complete "tourist" -
sometimes in NO, that's good, other times, not so much.

TC,

PS - I'm kidding about Napoleon's pronunciation - actually, it's pronounced
"luigi"...
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 08:45:56 -0700 (PDT), Frank Reid
wrote:

"Actually, I have an idea - drop me an email with a phone number and
I'll call ya ASAP."

Between any two ROFFians, this line is enough to lead to an event that
will be forever enshrined in YouTube lore.
Frank Reid

Well, yeah, there is that...

TC,
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
MajorOz

On Jul 9, 2:10*am, "asadi" wrote:
...Well my sister in law and her husband are visiting from Germany. At first
he wanted to go to Myrtle Beach, Miami Florida, then travel route 66 and
some of highway 101 in California.....in two weeks.

So after telling him to Mapquest and look a the distances involved he has
calmed down very much.

Now we are thinking of Nashville and a few other country spots...he really
wants to see "small town" America. *I am thinking of New Orleans....then up
north to the Shenandoah Valley .

I know small towns and such but I have never been to New Orleans so if you
guys could give me a tip on a campground close by or some place to go or
some music to hear...I would a appreciate it....

John

New Orleans is a waste of time and money. If they are looking for
music, avoid the Memphis, Nashville, NO stuff and concentrate on the
Blues Trail. Go to Greenville MS, spend a night or three at some of
the black blues juke joints, then go up to Mountain View AR for the
best original country and bluegrass music. Both places have numerous
campgrounds with all the goodies for $20 or less. (Whitewater at Mt.
View is a place we often stay at). Resist the impulse to go to
Branson. It is for Nursing home buses.
For a view of "America" wander up US 83 from wherever it is
convenient, all the way to Manitoba, if you wish. However, for a look
at stuff like World Famous Saurkraut Days, World's Biggest Ball of
String, backyard welded dinosaurs, and REALLY great festival food,
turn east in northern Nebraska, through Sioux City IA, and trickle
across Iowa.
Then end up in Chicago for really great food, theatre, and the lake
before they fly home.

good luck.

oz, who loves taking folks here and there