Motor Guide Still Sucks

Old March 14th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Bob La Londe

Default Motor Guide Still Sucks

As I mentioned in another post I took the Waco out today for its maiden
voayge.

Amoung the various things I tested was the trolling motor. I pulled the
Motor Gunk off the Baker a while back and put on a new Minn Kota Maxxum. I
love the Maxxum. Anyway, I had the Motor Gunk repaired figuring to either
sell it, or use it on another boat. It had all new parts installed. I
dropped it in the water and after moving back and forth a couple times I
noticed the pointer was not pointing in the right direction, and except at
the absolute slowest speeds the darn thing was flopping back and forth worse
than the tail of a dog with a mouth full of bacon.

As I pulled it out of the water I could hear parts rattling in the motor
head. ****! Motor Gunk has found its way to my, "I ain't gonna risk a dime
on 'em list." If Motor Gunk wants to send me a free new motor I might try
it and give them a second chance, but otherwise forget it.

Fortunately, since nobody had expressed any interest in buying the Skeeter I
had already decided to start pulling stuff off of it for the Whacko. It
took me about ten minutes to pull that old reliable Evinrude trolling motor
off. Sometime tommorrow I am sure I'll have it mounted on the Whacko, and
ready for a test run. While I was at it I pulled both fish finders off he
Skeeter as well in order to use them on the Whacko. I already mounted my
Garmin 176 GPS map, so I will definitely be ready for that ABA aluminum
series coming up.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old March 14th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Bob La Londe

Default Found a use for it.

I found a good use for my MotorGunk.

I used the power cord off of it to lengthen the power cord on ym Evinrude
trolling motor.

Maybe I can scrounge some other good parts.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old March 15th, 2004, 12:14 AM
go-bassn

Bob, how old is your MG? I'm told that since they've been digitizing the
components things have taken a major change for the better, a year or so
ago.

Warren
--
http://www.warrenwolk.com/

Old March 15th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Bob La Londe

I'm guessing its a 1994 or newer. Its not the electronics part that sucks.
Its the steering mechanism.

I may take a look at converting it to a hand operated as a project for fun
some time to use on my square back canoe for running the lower river, but it
will never go back on one of my bass boats. I suppose if I could rig it
right I might be able to use the motor on something down the road.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old March 15th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Bob La Londe

Cable steer. 76lb don't recall which model.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old March 15th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Roy Randolph

If it's not steering then check the cable end in the head if you hear parts
rattling around then it sounds like the tab lock came off or the plastic
screw post has broke

either way sounds like the place you took it to get it fixed didn't do a
good job!

Old March 15th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Bob La Londe

Maybe they didn't, but I'm just not going to waste any more money on it. I
have trolling motors for both of my boats so I do not need to.

I am familiar with how the steering works on the motor. I repaired it once,
and then the next time it died becasue the gear snapped off the top of the
shaft. I had somebody else repair that. This time I haven't even pulled
the cover to look.

I have talked to several other people in this area who do not like Motor
Guide motors for one reason or another. The Evinrude trolling motor I
pulled off my old boat to replace the Motor Gunk is over 20 years old with
no problems. Its only 50 lbs, but it should pull that 16' aluminum boat
just fine. When I run out of projects (yeah right) I'll pull the cover off
the Motor Gunk and take a look at it.