Senkos

Old July 26th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Marty

Default Senkos

"Karen" wrote in message
How does one rig up a senko or senko type?

I rig them Texposed, but a lot of people wacky-rig them (hooked in the
middle with exposed hook).

I've tried yum dingers and
usually just texas rig them, but maybe that's wrong to try. What are the
best colours to try with the senko or senko type bait anyhow?

People report a huge variety of colors that are effective. If you want to
fish the most widely-used colors, try some in black, watermelon, green
pumpkin and pumpkinseed, either plain or with flakes.

And I've been
told it's a 'no brainer' method of fishing, sounds good to me But why
haven't I caught a fish yet?

Just a guess, but if you haven't caught anything with them yet, you may not
be using them in areas inhabited by bass.

Good luck.

Old July 26th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Karen

How does one rig up a senko or senko type? I've tried yum dingers and
usually just texas rig them, but maybe that's wrong to try. What are the
best colours to try with the senko or senko type bait anyhow? And I've been

Old July 26th, 2004, 09:28 AM
G. M. Zimmermann

How does one rig up a senko or senko type? I've tried yum dingers and
usually just texas rig them, but maybe that's wrong to try. What are the
best colours to try with the senko or senko type bait anyhow? And I've been
told it's a 'no brainer' method of fishing, sounds good to me But why
haven't I caught a fish yet?

I have much better success wacky riging senkos with a gamakatso octopus
circle hook. I only texas rig them if im fishing thick sloppy matted
vegetation.
Senkos are usually at their best when they are falling, or barely moving.
I like to cast to a likely spot and let the lure have plenty of slack and just
fall to the bottom. Let it sti for a bit then just barely titch it. Let it
sit some more, then I reel in the slack, lift the rod tip to sweep the senko up
, then drop the rod tip to let it fall back down again.
My favorite colors are brownish. I don't have much luck with green colors
like watermelon. For some reason, the "blue pearl/ silver flake" color works
pretty well too. I guess it looks like a dying baitfish.

-Zimmy

Old July 26th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Brad Coovert

How does one rig up a senko or senko type?

The two most popular rigging methods are Texas rigged or Wacky rigged, both
weightless.

What are the
best colours to try with the senko or senko type bait anyhow?

I have yet to find a bad color for a Senko, but the watermelon and green
pumpkin colors will catch bass anywhere they swim. If you only pick four
colors, I would suggest watermelon, green pumpkin, black and blue pearl/silver
flake.

And I've been
told it's a 'no brainer' method of fishing, sounds good to me

The biggest mistake people make with Senko type baits os overworking them.
Yes, you can fish them fast like fluke, but they are best "deadsticked". Cast
the bait out, let it fall to the bottom on a semi-slack line...WATCH YOUR
LINE....then let it sit on the bottom..up to a minute or two in some
cases.....KEEP WATCHING YOUR LINE....then lift the bait, twitch the bait, shake
the bait, etc., let it fall back to the bottom and repeat as you feel necessary
for that cast.

I also like to Texas rig Senkos with a screw in weight for pitching into wood
or fishing down steep, deeper banks and I will throw them on a Crig or a drop
shot.

They are a very versatile bait as far as rigging.

Brad Coovert
2003 Angler of the Year, Greenfield Bassmasters
http://www.greenfieldbassmasters.com

Old July 26th, 2004, 01:26 PM
alwaysfishking

A huge amount of my fish that were caught this year fell victim to a wacky
rigged senko,senko type baits. I rig them on 2/0 octopus hooks, I started
using red hooks this year and maybe it's just a confidence builder but I
swear I've had more hook ups because of them this year.. I think the fish
see that slow fall and then the flash of red and they think it's gills and
attack it.

3 things to remember,,,watch your line,,watch your line watch your line. If
it twitchs, jumps or moves in either direction, set the hook, If the line is
running directly at you, try aznd wait for the fish to turn or try a
sweeping(off to the side hook set. I've lost more fish on octopus hooks when
the fish was running right at me. I think I yank it right out. Good luck on
your quest