The third season starts now

Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
ray

Default The third season starts now

If you haven't, you might want to try ice fishing in January - March. It's
obviously not fly fishing, but it can be a real gas.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

I think of my fishing as divided into three seasons.

The first starts on New Years Day on my local rivers. For a month or two
they will provide reasonable flows and decent fishing. This is 90% nymph
fishing, not my favorite style, but it's still nice to get out in Winter
and enjoy trout fishing.

Season #2 starts in late May and goes until early August. This is the
classic season of the fly angler. It provides naive fish, and big, famous,
bugs. One of the biggest problems with second season fishing is that so
many places are fishing so well, and there are too many choices. Where to
go? Every angler has a few spots dear to his heart in June and July, mine
are the Firehole and the Henry's Fork.

As August rolls around I roll back home to be with my bride for a few weeks.
I seldom fish in August and the break always makes me hungry for my third
season of the year.

That Third Season starts immediately after Labor Day.

This is often the most difficult, and therefore, rewarding fishing of the
year.

On the waters I prefer, it is marked by always picky fish made extra
tough and hyper wary by months of heavy angling pressure. And, they will be
feeding on some of the years most interesting hatches.

Tuesday morning I leave for Montahoming for the 2007 Third Season.

From then until mid-October will find me fishing tricos, callibaetis,
caddis, Mahogany Duns, at least two species of baetis and midges plus
terrestrials. Many days will have multiple, overlapping, hatches and
provide the kind of mentally challenging fishing that demands close
observation, precise patterns and perfect presentation. This is the type
of fly fishing I've grown to find most rewarding.

Especially when different baetis species varying from #18s to #24s are
on the same water at the same time as emerging midges, it is possible to
find different fish within casting distance each totally locked on to a
different stage of only one of the bugs. Each will refuse to even look
at a pattern one of the other fish eats with relish.

Each angler has his own type of favorite fishing, and that is as it should
be. Most, quite naturally, seem to prefer the times and places where
trout come with ease, and in great numbers.

During Third Season on one of my beloved spring creeks , if you get
things right you can catch "enough" trout and some large ones, but not one,
not a single one, will be easy.

For me, that is what makes it so wonderful.

.................................................. .................................................. .

ROFFians,

The rancid posts so common here often cast doubts, but, I still assume that
some of you are here because trout, fly fishing, and those very special
places we go to fish, have their hooks sunk deeply into your souls.

PLEASE get out there this Fall and enjoy a day or two of "the quiet sport."

To my mind, it should be called "the healing sport" as it seldom fails to
improve my mental health.

Cast a tiny midge pupa or a big streamer, it's your choice, but find a fish
and cast.

You deserve it, you need it, so go.

( ah, but, maybe you should go alone, or go with someone you won't begrudge
a beer, "Internet fishing gangs" seem way over rated g.)

As for me, I'm heading East to get to some of the West's most lovely fishing
holes.

............... gone fishin'

Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JR

Larry L wrote:

I think of my fishing as divided into three seasons.

I can't think of any part of the U.S. I've fished a lot where
Sept/Oct *wasn't* my favorite time of the year.

- JR

Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Larry L wrote:
I think of my fishing as divided into three seasons.
self-congratulatory boasting snipped
.................................................. .........................

ROFFians,
holier-than-thou scold snipped

Oh go **** yourself Larry.

And be sure to post a trip report when you get back.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

JR wrote:
Larry L wrote:

I think of my fishing as divided into three seasons.

I can't think of any part of the U.S. I've fished a lot where
Sept/Oct *wasn't* my favorite time of the year.

- JR

yup... in nc, from the offshore deep blue sal****er to the salt marshes
to the brackish estuaries to the eastern nc freshwater rivers to the
lakes to the mountain streams, it's the same here.

but...i'll be interested in your take on the potomac river. g

jeff
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in

self-congratulatory boasting snipped
.................................................. .........................

I prefer to think of it as elitism G

And be sure to post a trip report when you get back.

Will do. Have a good Fall, Ken

Old September 4th, 2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ken Fortenberry[_2_]

Larry L wrote:
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:
self-congratulatory boasting snipped

I prefer to think of it as elitism G

Well, if you called it pompous, condescending
and patronizing elitism I would agree.

And be sure to post a trip report when you get back.

Will do. Have a good Fall, Ken

Yeah, you too Larry. I'm going to spend the last
week of trout season (September) in Michigan's UP
and the first week of October fishing for smallies
in the Sylvania Wilderness. Like you say, in your
own self-aggrandizing fashion, Sept/Oct is some of
the best fishing of the year.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:34 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Mike[_6_]

On 4 Sep, 00:36, "Larry L" wrote:
I think of my fishing as divided into three seasons.

I think so too, but my seasons are rather different.

When I was young, until I was about twenty three or so, and fished and
practised and learned almost every day I could, that was the first
season. Then the exigencies of life took over more and more, and I
fished less, though still intensively, that was the second season. Not
that long ago, the third season began. It is not what I thought or
hoped it would be, but still enjoyable, though less intensive.

I donīt know whether there is a fourth season, perhaps mainly as an
armchair angler? I wont mind too much if there is not. I am not as
quick or as fit as I once was, some things have become less important
to me, and my drive, enthusiasm and endurance have moderated
considerably, but I have a lot of pleasant memories which help to
drive away the occasional darker shades of mood. Some things I replay
quite often in my head. like old movies. They are still uplifting.

Looking back, there are a lot worse ways I could have spent my
time......................

Have a nice trip.

TL
MC

Old September 4th, 2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Mike" wrote

. I am not as

quick or as fit as I once was, some things have become less important
to me,

The last few years have made me aware of how "physical" fly fishing is. I
no longer even try difficult wading and carry a cane ( let's call it a
wading staff :-) for easy walks to and then into the stream even though I
seldom use it once in the water of the smooth flowing creeks I fish.

I can remember the time when getting into casting range of a pocket in the
rough, tumbling water of a big freestone was a challenge I loved. Now, as
I tried to say, my chosen challenges are more mental, certainly much slower
paced.

I often fail to meet the challenges. I remember a tumble and long, scary
swim in the Truckee and I have many days when the spring creek bugs and fish
have an agenda I never master... skunked is an oft used word in my fishing
log ... but challenge has always made my rare fishing successes more
valuable to me.

Probably the greatest strength of fly fishing is it's difficulty, ie. how
much there is to learn,
certainly a life's worth.

G re-reading this before pushing 'send' I flashed on a day in the Madison.
I was doing fairly well and an obvious newbie finally asked "what are you
using?" I replied, "Rusty spinner." Apparently indignant my new
friend said, "I don't fish with spinners ... I'M a FLY fisherman." As I
chuckled to myself I remembered back when when my reaction might have been
the same ... after 35 years it's easy to forget how much we have learned and
how the obvious ... used to be impossible to grasp.

You've posted a lot of info that has helped me improve, Mike ... thanks

Old September 4th, 2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"JR" wrote

I can't think of any part of the U.S. I've fished a lot where
Sept/Oct *wasn't* my favorite time of the year.

I haven't lived in the D.C, area since the late 60's .... but, way back then
the Fall was extra extra special in Virginia and surrounding states ...I
assume it still is ... Rove or not G