swimming depth

Old November 16th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Gone Angling

Default swimming depth

I picked up some new rapala jointed lures (51/4"). On the package face it says
"rapala floating". On the tab used to peg it for display it says "swimming
depth 9' to 11'. The lure does have a lip but not a large lip like a deep
diver. I find the labeling a little confusing ( floating) and i haven't used
this lure before.

Old November 17th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Charles B. Summers

These will not dive any more than 2'. The only way you'll get them any
deeper is to weight them, but there are other baits that will of course work
better.

Hope you picked up a gold one.

Old November 17th, 2003, 11:21 PM
G. M. Zimmermann

I have found that the larger Rapala lures run a bit deeper than the smaller
ones, but I doubt you'd get a 5 1/4" jointed down to 9 feet. Five or six feet
would probably be alot more realistic.

-Zimmy
Old November 18th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Gone Angling

charles
These will not dive any more than 2'. The only way you'll get them any
deeper is to weight them, but there are other baits that will of course work
better.

Hope you picked up a gold one.

I know about the 2 feet depth and appropriate colours.

Old November 18th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Marty

Charles B. Summers (Comcast) wrote in
message ...
These will not dive any more than 2'. The only way you'll get them any
deeper is to weight them, but there are other baits that will of course

work
better.

It's been awhile since I checked, but the depths for various Rapalas didn't
make much sense to me, so I looked a little closer and discovered that their
depths were based on trolling with "x" pound test and "y" length of line.
This was a few years ago, I don't know if anything's changed.

Old November 18th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Illinois Fisherman

Casting the Rapala J-13 Floater Max depth is 4 ft with 14LB test mono rod
tip held 2ft above surface. Average length of cast is 50ft.

Old November 19th, 2003, 01:46 AM
Gone Angling

Is swimming depth caused by the lip? I think it can also be effected by the rod
position on the retrieve. It may also be effected by the density of the lure
body, weight of hook hardware and a thin profile of the lure body.

Old November 19th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Andrew Kidd

"Gone Angling" wrote in message
Is swimming depth caused by the lip? I think it can also be effected by

the rod
position on the retrieve. It may also be effected by the density of the

lure
body, weight of hook hardware and a thin profile of the lure body.

....and line diameter.
--
Andrew Kidd
http://www.amiasoft.com/ - Software for the rest of us!