Long taper (triangle) DT lines

Old June 9th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Bill Kiene

Default Long taper (triangle) DT lines

Hello Jarmo,

You might want to describe the fishing you do with this fly rod to the news
group?

I know many love DT lines but they are probably less the 10% (maybe less
than 5%) of the sales of floating lines in the USA.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

I've now heard so many people praise triangle taper lines that I'd be
interested to get a line with such long taper design. On the other
hand, I have very little interest in buying a WF line, so that rules
the Wulff triangle taper series out.

Is there any good reason for not producing a DT line with a long,
triangle taper? (Except selling more lines, of course.) Are there any
such DT lines available?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .

Old June 9th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Barry

I'd be interested in why you don't want a WF line. DT lines are almost
never used anymore...certainly not on the West Coast where we need to throw
a longer line and need different tapers.

Barry

Old June 11th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Jarmo Hurri

Bill You might want to describe the fishing you do with this fly rod
Bill to the news group?

Bill I know many love DT lines but they are probably less the 10%
Bill (maybe less than 5%) of the sales of floating lines in the USA.

Trout and grayling fishing in running water with line weights 2-5.

Old June 11th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Jarmo Hurri

Barry I'd be interested in why you don't want a WF line. DT lines
Barry are almost never used anymore...certainly not on the West Coast
Barry where we need to throw a longer line and need different tapers.

Pros of DT lines:

- double lifetime with the same price

- better accuracy at medium distances ("medium" being here beyond the
front taper of the WF line, but less than the maximum distance you
can achieve with a DT line)

- much faster and more convenient use at medium distances (in running
water at least): no need to retrieve line before casting again

- better mending at medium distances

- personally I find DT lines better suited for spey casting and
dynamic rolls (with one handed rods) at longer distances

Cons:

- shorter maximum distance (at least for me)

- requires more space behind you at longer distances (on the other
hand, with a DT line you can cast pretty far with a dynamic roll or
a spey cast, which require fairly little space)

- if you start with a shorter amount of line out than you eventually
need to have, then getting to your target with a DT line is much
slower

In lighter line weights, I guess that if I wanted to retrieve the line
between each cast, and cast far, then I'd see the point in using a WF
line. Stillwater fishing with streamers would be a prime example.