Question

Old May 9th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Philip Goodwin

Default Question

Hi guys,
My local club had a tournament on Twin Lakes in Ct. yesterday. I did not get
to fish because while prefishing on Thursday I think I might have torn my
calf muscle and could not even think about standing or sitting in a bassboat
all day. The doctor will tell me more on Wednesday. Anyway, while prefishing
on Thursday and also from what I have been told happened on Saturday there
are a bunch of very nice fish just cruising around in say 5 ft. of water. By
the time you see these fish they have usually seen you and if you throw
anywhere in their vicinity they spook off and refuse to show any interest in
a lure whatsoever. This has been the case in at least the last 3 years we
have been going there. If there was a way to catch these fish one could have
a very impressive bag as some of them look to be 6 or 7 pounds. I also do
not believe they are bedding fish as no beds were visible. Is there a way to
catch these fish or are they in reality uncatchable.

Phil Goodwin

Old May 9th, 2004, 08:26 PM
alwaysfishking

Why do you need to see the fish to catch them, back off and make some long
casts using flukes and spinnerbaits. You say this has been going on for 3
years, so you know where they are cruising around, Just back off a bit

Old May 10th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Philip Goodwin

"alwaysfishking" wrote in message
Why do you need to see the fish to catch them, back off and make some long
casts using flukes and spinnerbaits. You say this has been going on for 3
years, so you know where they are cruising around, Just back off a bit

I was not specifically looking for the fish but rather just saw them
cruising in and out of the weeds as I was trolling along. I have tried to
cast quite a bit ahead of the boat to do just as you suggest and have not
had much success.

Old May 10th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Bob La Londe

I had something like that happen last year. Never found a daily way to
catch them, but on a really windy day we nailed a couple nice ones casting
way out across the area with spinner baits.

--
Public Fishing Forums
Fishing Link Index

webmaster
at
YumaBsssMan
dot
com

Old May 10th, 2004, 09:19 AM
G. M. Zimmermann

I have noticed the same thing on several lakes I fish. If you stand still,
eventually you see Bass just cruise past you, often times they are huge. But
if you cast anywhere near them, they take off. It seem that just the sound of
a lure hitting the water too close to them is enough to spook them. The most
reliable way to catch them for me has been to use live baitfish (minnows,
shinners, creek chubs, etc.) Occasionally I can catch one on the fly rod, but
its not very consistant. The only other tactic that ever worked for me
happened on an unusually calm day. Sinc ethe lake surface was all but
perfectly flat, I rigged a Terminator snapback lizzard on a 2/0 or 3/0 EWG hook
with the point exposed. No weight or anything. I cast it down the bank and
just barly twitched it along on the surface. I caught a 14" smallmouth, but
that was it.

-Zimmy
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:01 AM
RichZ

Philip wrote:
Is there a way to
catch these fish or are they in reality uncatchable.

http://www.richz.com/fishing/fishtips/cruisers.html

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old May 10th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Philip Goodwin

"RichZ" wrote in message
Philip wrote:
Is there a way to
catch these fish or are they in reality uncatchable.

http://www.richz.com/fishing/fishtips/cruisers.html

Thanks Rich. Everything else you have taught me seems to work so I will
certainly give that method a try.

Phil