Fisheries Management: The power of slot limits - tailored solutions

Old March 13th, 2008, 02:38 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

Default Fisheries Management: The power of slot limits - tailored solutions

Great article worth a read at:

http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/2007/oct07/fishery.htm

quality.

"Brown trout over 12 inches increased from 5 percent to 20 percent,
and brown trout over 18 inches increased tenfold from 0.3 fish per
mile to three fish per mile. The special regulations were successful
in producing a good catch-and-release fishery that could sustain
harvesting some fish."

Halfordian Golfer
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:43 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Willi

Halfordian Golfer wrote:
Great article worth a read at:

http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/2007/oct07/fishery.htm

quality.

"Brown trout over 12 inches increased from 5 percent to 20 percent,
and brown trout over 18 inches increased tenfold from 0.3 fish per
mile to three fish per mile. The special regulations were successful
in producing a good catch-and-release fishery that could sustain
harvesting some fish."

Halfordian Golfer

This makes MY point. The improvement was caused my a REDUCTION in
harvest not and increase.

Show me a study that shows this type of increase from increasing harvest.

Willi
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:21 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 13, 9:43 am, Willi wrote:
Halfordian Golfer wrote:
Great article worth a read at:

http://www.wnrmag.com/stories/2007/oct07/fishery.htm

quality.

"Brown trout over 12 inches increased from 5 percent to 20 percent,
and brown trout over 18 inches increased tenfold from 0.3 fish per
mile to three fish per mile. The special regulations were successful
in producing a good catch-and-release fishery that could sustain
harvesting some fish."

Halfordian Golfer

This makes MY point. The improvement was caused my a REDUCTION in
harvest not and increase.

Show me a study that shows this type of increase from increasing harvest.

Willi

Do you think I said that "increasing harvest" creates a proportional
"increase in the number of fish"? Huh? Willi, you know that it's far
more complex than that and that I'm a lot, lot more informed than
that. A healthy naturally reproducing fishery can sustain harvest and
remain healthy. Right? When one fish dies that's room for another, 300
fry that are not eaten, 1000 eggs, 10,000 insects returned to the
system, another 5 sq ft of stream bottom to grow. The classic pond
equation.

Take man out of the equation but quintuple he number of natural
predators. Lynx, beer, otter, muskrat, beaver, mountain lion, birds,
snakes, yet nature provides in a continuous bounty.

Trout exist on the food chain.
No question about that.
Man is in the food chain.
No question about that.
Trout exist in the sporting goods store chain?
That is the question.

But no, Willi, you can not quadruple the harvest of a fishery and see
4 times the fish. You might see the fish get larger and more healthy,
however. You might see the fish that feed on this fish get larger and
more healthy, you might see all sorts of second order affects,
including an increase in overall biomass. Nature is freekish sometimes
and that is complexity. This is why we measure and adapt, measure and
adapt. This is why we allow 4 fish per day and 8 in possession in
Colorado and is why the fishing just gets better and better. What are
the regs on the poudre? Would you expect those fish to grow as large
as the ones in the bowl below Reudi?

Your pal,

Halfordian Golfer