small spoon flies on trout

Old March 30th, 2008, 02:52 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mike[_6_]

Default small spoon flies on trout

On Mar 30, 2:43 am, Halfordian Golfer wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:54 pm, Mike wrote:

On Mar 30, 12:39 am, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Anyway, I have everything except the mylar sheet and, I guess, hooks
if I need to go a little larger. In terms of making some plain
colored, silver, would a mylar balloon work? I also picked up a
product called sparkle glaze to experiment with. They had some
interesting top glosses at Hobby Lobby, like pearlescent and stuff.
The sparkle glaze claims: Adds a clear iridescent sparkle. Also, not
sure if it was the right choice but, when I got the Sally Hansen's
hard-as-nails, I got the arcylic+nylon. Am guessing what I'll need in
the way of plastic for the thick layer assuming fairly stiff but
extremely thin, clear, sheet protectors.

Best regards,

Tim

You can get the mylar tape and a lot of other similar stuff at more or
less any automobile accessory store ( "go -faster stripes" ! )

The mylar balloon material is too thin, and wont hold its shape.

You can use ordinary epoxy to coat the flies.

TL
MC

The thought on the thin mylar was that, when attached to the clear
plastic sheet it really serves only to provide the color and
underlying shades/patterns to the fly, that the plastic sheet is what
holds its shape.

Made me wonder about just cutting the shape out of a red plastic
picnic plate and epoxying over that for red ones at least (because I
have some red ones in the pantry).

Halfordian Golfer

Actually, practically anything that will hold its shape, even thin
card, will work, as the epoxy will protect it quite well. You just
have to make sure you cover it well.

The only other problem with some of the very thin material is getting
it to stick to anything properly. Some plastics wont work very well
either, the epoxy doesnīt stick to them very well.

I cut some plastic shapes from washing-up-liquid bottles which worked
quite well, but some others I tried didnīt. You have to try them
before you commit to dressing any flies with them.

TL
MC
Old March 30th, 2008, 03:02 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mike[_6_]

The ones I tried with double-sided adhesive tape came apart very
quickly in the water. I did try to coat the edges of the flies with
epoxy, but it obviously was not enough to waterproof them.

One may also make the "spoons" up first, just spread the epoxy on the
thich paper, or card, and complete the rest later. If you use nail
varnish, glitter, etc ,then you donīt need the metallised tape.

Now, I use my own fingernail patterns, as they are easy to make, and
very successful.

TL
MC
Old March 31st, 2008, 04:11 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 29, 8:02 pm, Mike wrote:
The ones I tried with double-sided adhesive tape came apart very
quickly in the water. I did try to coat the edges of the flies with
epoxy, but it obviously was not enough to waterproof them.

One may also make the "spoons" up first, just spread the epoxy on the
thich paper, or card, and complete the rest later. If you use nail
varnish, glitter, etc ,then you donīt need the metallised tape.

Now, I use my own fingernail patterns, as they are easy to make, and
very successful.

TL
MC

ordered several from the link above. Will delay tying but will
probably be the right stuff. Will let you know how it goes. The site
had s sveveral choices. Tim
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:31 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Mar 30, 9:11 pm, Halfordian Golfer wrote:
On Mar 29, 8:02 pm, Mike wrote:

The ones I tried with double-sided adhesive tape came apart very
quickly in the water. I did try to coat the edges of the flies with
epoxy, but it obviously was not enough to waterproof them.

One may also make the "spoons" up first, just spread the epoxy on the
thich paper, or card, and complete the rest later. If you use nail
varnish, glitter, etc ,then you donīt need the metallised tape.

Now, I use my own fingernail patterns, as they are easy to make, and
very successful.

TL
MC

ordered several from the link above. Will delay tying but will
probably be the right stuff. Will let you know how it goes. The site
had s sveveral choices. Tim

Howdy Mike,

The brown truck just left me this and I'm VERY pleased. The first
thing was that they stuck a very good bumper sticker in the box "Got
Backing?". The second is that they sent an additional little bag
marked "samples". I'm glad because the Blue and Pearl in there is
something I should have had on the original order. What was included
were a half dozen packages of various "WTP Decorator Tape". Dude (and
I apologize for using the word "dude", sir, just that I'm from "The
People's Republic of Boulder" and it has slipped in to my lexicon)
this stuff is amazing. Super prismatic/holographic/pearlescent or
whatever the word is to describe whatever the heck that is. Seems like
a great product and I really dig the service from http://www.sal****erflies.com.

Best,

Tim
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mike[_6_]

On Apr 5, 4:31 pm, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Super prismatic/holographic/pearlescent or
whatever the word is to describe whatever the heck that is. Seems like
a great product and I really dig the service fromhttp://www.sal****erflies..com.

Best,

Tim

Indeed, they have a good reputation with some sal****er guys here as
well. Due to the exchange rate, more and more people are ordering
stuff from America.

Have fun dressing the flies!

( Dude actually means something else here, " A man who is much
concerned with his dress and appearance" it would not normally be seen
as an informal mode of address, but I donīt mind, I have been called a
lot worse! )

TL
MC
Old April 6th, 2008, 02:54 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Apr 5, 9:29 am, Mike wrote:
On Apr 5, 4:31 pm, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Super prismatic/holographic/pearlescent or

whatever the word is to describe whatever the heck that is. Seems like
a great product and I really dig the service fromhttp://www.sal****erflies.com.

Best,

Tim

Indeed, they have a good reputation with some sal****er guys here as
well. Due to the exchange rate, more and more people are ordering
stuff from America.

Have fun dressing the flies!

( Dude actually means something else here, " A man who is much
concerned with his dress and appearance" it would not normally be seen
as an informal mode of address, but I donīt mind, I have been called a
lot worse! )

TL
MC

These things look deadly and are really fun to tie. I admit that I
suck at them but I see a little improvement with each fly. I like the
silver/black combo. Can't wait to chuck these bad boys!

Here's the first attempt on #12's.

http://www.storycardsoftware.com/images/IMG_0552.jpg

Thanks for the support Mike!

Tim
Old April 6th, 2008, 03:15 AM posted to alt.flyfishing
Mike[_6_]

On Apr 6, 3:54 am, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Here's the first attempt on #12's.

http://www.storycardsoftware.com/images/IMG_0552.jpg

Thanks for the support Mike!

Tim

They look really attractive. If you have the action right, I have no
doubt that they will be killing flies.

TL
MC
Old April 6th, 2008, 06:25 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Apr 5, 8:15 pm, Mike wrote:
On Apr 6, 3:54 am, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Here's the first attempt on #12's.

http://www.storycardsoftware.com/images/IMG_0552.jpg

Thanks for the support Mike!

Tim

They look really attractive. If you have the action right, I have no
doubt that they will be killing flies.

TL
MC

Yeah, I can't wait to see how they work. Fly castable spoons. Awesome.
I messed around with a few variations to see what works out. With and
without eyes, one has lead eyes, one has no eyes...etc.

Best regards,

Tim
Old April 15th, 2008, 03:48 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Halfordian Golfer

On Apr 5, 8:15 pm, Mike wrote:
On Apr 6, 3:54 am, Halfordian Golfer wrote:

Here's the first attempt on #12's.

http://www.storycardsoftware.com/images/IMG_0552.jpg

Thanks for the support Mike!

Tim

They look really attractive. If you have the action right, I have no
doubt that they will be killing flies.

TL
MC

Took them for a spin,

http://www.executablerequirements.co...ril102008.html

Your pal,

TBone
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:06 PM posted to alt.flyfishing
Charlie Choc

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:48:05 -0700 (PDT), Halfordian Golfer
wrote:

Took them for a spin,

http://www.executablerequirements.co...ril102008.html

Nice looking flies. How did you fish them? With redfish I let the fly sink and
then do a slow short strip retrieve, like a crab imitation.
--
Charlie...
http://www.chocphoto.com