TR for the Bighorn Micro Clave and a Trip to Chas's

Old September 22nd, 2003, 05:54 AM
rw

Default TR for the Bighorn Micro Clave and a Trip to Chas's

Darin Minor wrote:
Warren wrote:

The fishing was secondary and only made the trip that much
better but I am already thinking about another visit in the
near future.

Next time, come over for a weekend and let me know enough in advance so
that I can make it over there.

Nice TR BTW.

I was thinking about you, Darin. I asked Chas to point out where (on the
map) you live, in Port Townsend. This was a spur-of-the-moment trip. I
had to talk Warren into going while we were on the way back to Bozeman
from the Bighorn.

Maybe we can arrange a Washington Clave some day? Like maybe next year?
The pinks won't be running like this year, but I'm sure something else
will be happening.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:00 AM
Bob Weinberger

"rw" wrote in message
m...
Bob Weinberger wrote:

BTW I leave for Kodiak day after tomorrow for a week of chasing big Cohos.

That is like totally cool, Bob.

Can I come? :-)

It just so happens that one of our crew had to cancel. If you're really interested, email me ASAP for
details. We have a house right on the Pasagshak River rented from 9/25 to 10/8. Some of us stay the
full two weeks, some are just there the first week, and some come for the second week (6-8 people in
the house at a time). I had planned to stay for the full 2 weeks, but have to leave 10/3 for a
consulting gig in Western WA.
This is my 4th annual trip up there. We don't always have outstanding fishing, but its always better
than any Coho fishing I've had in the lower 48.

--
Bob Weinberger - La Grande, OR

Remove "invalid" and place a dot between bobs and stuff to reply email

Old September 22nd, 2003, 06:13 AM
rw

Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:21 AM
JR

Bob Weinberger wrote:

It just so happens that one of our crew had to cancel. If you're really interested, email me ASAP for
details. We have a house right on the Pasagshak River rented from 9/25 to 10/8. Some of us stay the
full two weeks, some are just there the first week, and some come for the second week (6-8 people in
the house at a time). I had planned to stay for the full 2 weeks, but have to leave 10/3 for a
consulting gig in Western WA.

Have a good time, Bob. Turns out I won't be back in OR until 18 Oct. at
the earliest. You going to be finished consulting by then and ready to
try you-know-where?

JR
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:24 AM
JR

Warren wrote:

RW showed up to my house on a Wednesday evening....

Excellent TR and beautiful pix from both you and Willi.

Partly because of the timing of their runs and partly because I can't
get past how plug ugly they are, I've never fished for pinks. What are
they like--the take, the fight? Were you dead-drifting those flies,
swinging them....?

JR
Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:09 AM
Bob Weinberger

"JR" wrote in message ...

Have a good time, Bob. Turns out I won't be back in OR until 18 Oct. at
the earliest. You going to be finished consulting by then and ready to
try you-know-where?

JR

The consulting job is only for a week (be done 10/10) but it will put a nice chunk of change in my
pocket. I have to attend a nieces wedding in Tacoma on 10/18, but will be up for you-know-where right
after that. The flows will probably be low, but the temps should be good by then.
The Lower Deschutes has been pretty much blown out by glacial till from the White River for about two
weeks.
The Snake & lower GR are just starting to get really good - 2000+/day over Lower Granite for the
last week and a half..
I hooked 7 nice chromers (landed 5) last Tue. eve. - Wed. Morn at the mouth of the GR. Also was
surprised to catch a Chinook Jack of about 6# on a swung fly on top, in the crease where the GR water
meets the Snake.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 08:40 AM
Chas Wade

Darin Minor wrote:

We could wait 'till '05 when the pinks will be back but coho run every
year.
One thing to remember is that salmon don't keep a deffinate schedule,
they
could be late or they could be early, so setting a date might be kind
of
tough.

I am sorry I didn't talk to you directly Darin, but it was a spur of
the moment trip, and I've been a bit confused by this business of
having to catch 50 salmon per day. I'm off again in the morning for
the Skagit or maybe the Stilly. Saturday on the Skagit was great
again, but I'm hoping to find the silvers. Let me know if you're
interested in getting together for some salmon.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. I tied some pink variations on your
green foam cutthroat fly, and tried them on the pinks Saturday. I had
a couple follows and one strike where the fish missed (refused?) the
fly. I need to play with this idea some more. It's a great pattern.

Thanks,

Chas
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html

Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:06 AM
Clark Reid

"Chas Wade" wrote
Frank,

Thanks for clarifying that, you knew exactly what I meant.

Guess my humor gets lost in translation sometimes, apologies if my remark
was off base.

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:19 PM
Warren

lid wrote...

"rw" wrote in message
m...

I watched Warren play that fish. It was upstream and Warren wasn't
putting undue pressure on it.

I can assure you, Bob, that Warren knows how to play a fish, so relax.

Steve,
I didn't say he was putting undue pressure on the fish, but the angle he is using in the pictures is
putting undue pressure on the ROD. Compare the angle he is using in pictures 0016 and 0017 with the
pictures of you (0030 & 0033) fighting a Humpie. At least as much pressure can be put on the fish
with the angle you used as with the angle that Warren used. However, the stress on the rod is much
greater with the acute angle that he used.

Chas,
While an acute rod angle may be necessary to land a fish by yourself in tight quarters, based on the
room around you guys as shown in the pictures, there was no need at that location. I can appreciate
what you say about clouser nicks, having broken two rods as a result of them while fishing for Cohos
on Kodiak.

BTW I leave for Kodiak day after tomorrow for a week of chasing big Cohos.

Just for a bit of clarification, there were nicks in the rod
that I found after the rod broke from what looked like damage
caused by being nicked by big flies. There were white marks
running horizontal to the break on the low end and also a few
nicks on the tip near where the break was. In all honesty I
feel that the rod broke because it was damaged, not because I
was putting too much pressure on a fish that was running
upstream of me. I was pretty much letting the fish spool line
off so that I could wear it out fighting the current instead
of fighting me. I was in the middle of the river without a
net and was basically trying to tire the fish out enough so
that I could land, unhook and release the fish without having
to horse it in and then handle an unruly fish.

In the pictures you mentioned, if you look closely, you will
see that I am in the process of landing the fish. #16 has me
laying the rod off to the side and towards the camera in an
effort to turn the fish's head out of the current so that the
current works for me instead of against me. #17 shows me
bringing the rod in so that I could grab the leader (12'
leader, 9' rod, you do the math).

Two questions Bob:

1) Why are you checking out my rod? bseg
2) Do you think the camera angle has you a bit confused?

If you look closely, you will see that I am angling the rod
out to the side as I land the fish. This can be deceptive
since the rod is coming off to the side and also back at the
camera. Trust me, I know how to land fish and while I
appreciate your input, I think you are waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy off
on this one. I will gladly demonstrate the phenomenon in
person if you put me over some big fish. g

Sorry, but a third question:

3) I understand what you are saying about the rod angle and
can "dig" it. You claim to land 20# fish using a 6 wt just as
fast as people using 8 and 9 wt rods. What tricks do you use?
I am sure I will be getting back into that kind of fishing and
any tips would be appreciated. It *is* a totally different
kind of fishing than I am used to and I would appreciate any
tips you can offer. (Joke mode on) The angle of the dangle is
inversely proportional to the heat of the meat. How would you
change my meat? ;-)

All joking aside, I would like to hear what your
recommendations are for landing big fish on a lighter weight
rod are. Chasing those pinks has me wanting something else
and I don't think the fishing around here will suffice. I am
seriously contemplating another trip out to Chas's for some
more fishing. Chas's son Andy gave me an earful that has me
totally wanting to come out again for "the big fish" and I
could use all the advice you can give. You can email me with
your secret patterns if you like, I know I would! g
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)