Simplest flies

Old July 13th, 2004, 02:32 AM
vincent p. norris

Default Simplest flies

...... I would not cast a Johnson Silver Minnow with a fly rod.

Don't know about today, but many years ago, Johnson made a small,
light, Silver Minnow, intended to be used with a fly rod. Several
other metal lures were also produced for fly casting; I can recall the
South Bend Super Duper and Flipit.

I can't recall ever using, or even owning, any of theose, but I
suspect they were no more miserable to cast that a nymph with a
split-shot.

There are also those that would say that a streamer is not a fly, but a
lure.

I'll defer to Peter on that one.

vince
Old July 13th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Big Dale

vince wrote:snipI can't recall ever using, or even owning, any of theose, but
suspect they were no more miserable to cast that a nymph with a
split-shot.

You could be wrong. I used to have a fly rod sized Flatfish and my old, well
about new then back in 1953 Wonderrod was just miserable to try to cast with
that damn thing on it.

Big Dale

Old July 13th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Frank Reid

I can't recall ever using, or even owning, any of theose, but I
suspect they were no more miserable to cast that a nymph with a
split-shot.

I just tried these last week on an 8wt down in in Florida.
http://www.yo-zuri.com/switch.php?sw=view&id=35 Had a blast with the
largemouth and bluegill. Also ended up with a huge redfish (5") in the
salt. No more of a problem to cast than most weighted flies, much
easier than some of the golden stoneflies I've chucked. I am going to
replace the treble with a single hook.
These things sink, so now I'm on the lookout for a neutral bouancy version.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse Email to reply

Old July 14th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Hooked

"Frank Reid" wrote in message

I just tried these last week on an 8wt down in in Florida.
http://www.yo-zuri.com/switch.php?sw=view&id=35 Had a blast with the
largemouth and bluegill. Also ended up with a huge redfish (5") in the
salt. No more of a problem to cast than most weighted flies, much
easier than some of the golden stoneflies I've chucked. I am going to
replace the treble with a single hook.
These things sink, so now I'm on the lookout for a neutral bouancy

version.

--
Frank Reid

Snap beans. Always wanted to buy some of them. Bet they'd be great for my
(sorry for the foul language) ultra-light spinning rod.

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
- Dan Quayle

Old July 14th, 2004, 05:31 AM
vincent p. norris

suspect they were no more miserable to cast that a nymph with a
split-shot.

You could be wrong.

Entirely posssible, Big Dale. Wouldn't be the first time. Or the
last.

I used to have a fly rod sized Flatfish and my old, well
about new then back in 1953 Wonderrod was just miserable to try to cast with
that damn thing on it.

Never tried a Flatfish with a fly rod, but I used some for spinning,
and I recall how they dug into the water on the retrieve, so I'm sure
they'd be tough to lift out of the water for the back cast.

vince
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Herman Nijland

Frank Reid wrote:
I can't recall ever using, or even owning, any of theose, but I
suspect they were no more miserable to cast that a nymph with a
split-shot.

I just tried these last week on an 8wt down in in Florida.
http://www.yo-zuri.com/switch.php?sw=view&id=35 Had a blast with the
largemouth and bluegill. Also ended up with a huge redfish (5") in the
salt. No more of a problem to cast than most weighted flies, much
easier than some of the golden stoneflies I've chucked. I am going to
replace the treble with a single hook.
These things sink, so now I'm on the lookout for a neutral bouancy version.

Try one of these, in small sizes:
http://www.baitsdirect.com/acatalog/...one_lures.html. I
had all kinds of fish on these 'flies' :-).

--
Herman