Now to really **** you off

Old July 12th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Frank Reid

Default Now to really **** you off

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07...h_bad_science/

Essentially, this article lays out the current US administrations agenda
on using science, i.e. ignore the scientists.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse Email to reply

Old July 12th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Allen Epps

In article , Frank Reid
wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07...h_bad_science/

I don't believe left wing wacko "scientist" any more than I believe
right wing wacko "scientist". A lobbiest group is a lobbiest group

Allen
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Tom Littleton

Allen,
I would have expected better than a Fox News blurb....the truth is, the Bush
admin has systematically eliminated scientists, with no regard to anything
other than the likelyhood of negative, scientifically based conclusions, from a
host of advisory committees. NO administration has ever done so before, NONE!!
Tom
Old July 12th, 2004, 10:57 PM
daytripper

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:30:18 -0400, Allen Epps
wrote:

In article , Frank Reid
wrote:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07...h_bad_science/

I don't believe left wing wacko "scientist" any more than I believe
right wing wacko "scientist". A lobbiest group is a lobbiest group

How do you argue with someone who uses the banning of DDT *against* someone?

/daytripper (Conceded: "Nitwits For Bush" are showing early strength...)
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:32 PM
Tom Littleton

Flyfish adds:

Hmm while I'm certain that these events may seem this way to you, the
claim that science is hostage to political power has been made many times
in my lifetime

I am talking about the practice of American Presidents with relation to
standing Scientific Advisory committees. It is a relatively recent practice(the
committees), not becoming a key part of governance until the 60's or so. Still,
the principle is basic, gather scientists to debate the scientific merits of
ongoing policies related to their field of expertise. The pols can take or
leave the advice, nothing is or should be binding. Still, the practice of
replacing accredited scientists with businessmen and still more politicians
would seem to defeat the knowledge-gathering aspect of having the committees in
the first place.
Not surprising when the leader of the Free World chooses not to read
newspapers.
Still, alarming and dangerous practice.
Tom
Old July 12th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Flyfish

(Tom Littleton) wrote in
:

[...]

Tom this make come as a huge surprise to you but I knew exactly what you
were talking about and while you may think this is a unique event, it is
not, and the same complaints have been levelled before against various
Presidential administrations. One could easily find such complaints made
against Reagan, and if you were to dig deep enough you'd find at least
one, dare I say it, scientist arguing that *gasp* Clinton was ignoring
valid science related to certain trendy theories related to climate (Fred
Singer).....

There is nothing new in rock and roll, or politics....

Flyfish

Old July 13th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Tom Littleton

Flyfish states:
One could easily find such complaints made
against Reagan, and if you were to dig deep enough you'd find at least
one, dare I say it, scientist arguing that *gasp* Clinton was ignoring
valid science related to certain trendy theories related to climate

and, I will repeat, there were no claims to my knowledge that either of those
two presidents expunged scientists from panels en masse. Merely, that they
ignored the advice(which, I thought I clearly stated at the outset, was the
right of the political folks to do). My problem is with not performing the
scientific analysis at all.
Tom
Old July 13th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Sarge

The problem is for every scientist view you find there is one that
disagrees. Scientist can't agree on anything.

Sarge