Hello again, and I've got a tiring question

Old May 10th, 2005, 02:07 AM
SteptInSomethin

Default Hello again, and I've got a tiring question

I used to be fairly active on this ng, but all kinds of stuff happened a few
years ago that got me completely away from fishing. I've been lurking here
for the last few months, and it's good to see some familiar names still
active here. It's kind of like coming home after being away for a long time.
I've spent the last month or two cleaning my poor boat up - it was my Dad's
boat, but he's no longer with us - part of the 'stuff' I mentioned above.
It's a 17' Javelin, and it's been sitting for 3 years now, so you can
imagine what kind of shape was in. It's amazing how much dirt and leaves a
boat can collect, even when it's under a tarp! But now, all I need is a
battery, and two tires for the trailer, and I'm back on the water! Which
leads me to my question. Do you have to use 'trailer' tires on a boat
trailer? In other words, is there a difference in how the tires are made
that make them more suited for a trailer? I know I've seen guys pulling
trailers with passenger car tires on them, and I always wondered if that was
a smart thing to do, but I've never had the need to check into this question
until now. I don't want to put tires on it that might put the whole rig in
jeopardy. Any info anyone can share on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

And Bass Wishes from South Florida!
Jack

http://www.bassguidesoftware.com

Old May 10th, 2005, 02:50 AM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"SteptInSomethin" wrote in message
[...]

Tires designed for a trailer have a different design for the sidewall
construction. I'd only run trailer tires if I were you.

Welcome back and I'm sorry for your loss,
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 10th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Doug

Figure out your load you have on the trailer, and allot about another 500
lbs and buy the appropriate load rated tire. A lot of times, we complicate
things with to much thought, all tires do is roll things around. No
difference, just make the sure the load rating is sufficient....

Doug

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old May 10th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Huck Palmatier

....agreed.....the sidewall flex in trailer tires provide added shock
absorption to the springs...and they tend to have better heat dissipation.
said Huck

Old May 10th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Bob La Londe

"Huck Palmatier" wrote in message
...agreed.....the sidewall flex in trailer tires provide added shock
absorption to the springs...and they tend to have better heat dissipation.
said Huck

Are you sure? I have seen heavy sidewall bias ply trailer tires and radial
trailer tires. I would think the difference in construction type would have
more affect on that than being a "trailer" tire or a "car" tire.

Of course living in Arizona I tend to only buy the more expensive tires for
anything because the heat on our highways will tax any tire.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old May 11th, 2005, 02:56 AM
JackK

[...]

Makes sense to me. And it's good to be back.
Thanks, Steve.

Old May 11th, 2005, 03:08 AM
JackK

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Huck Palmatier" wrote in message
...agreed.....the sidewall flex in trailer tires provide added shock
absorption to the springs...and they tend to have better heat
dissipation.
said Huck

Are you sure? I have seen heavy sidewall bias ply trailer tires and
radial
trailer tires. I would think the difference in construction type would
have
more affect on that than being a "trailer" tire or a "car" tire.

Of course living in Arizona I tend to only buy the more expensive tires
for
anything because the heat on our highways will tax any tire.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

That's why I was asking. It seemed to me that a tire designed for use on
trailers would be constructed differently to handle the effects that heavy
loads would have on them, and heat buildup from towing at high speeds for
long distances. We don't have the blistering heat here that you do in AZ,
but the asphalt does get extremely hot during the long hot days of summer.
I've done a little shopping on line, and there isn't much difference in
price, so I'm going with regular trailer designed tires - just have to wait
for another paycheck!

Old May 11th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Bill Durham

JackK wrote:

That's why I was asking. It seemed to me that a tire designed for use on
trailers would be constructed differently to handle the effects that heavy
loads would have on them, and heat buildup from towing at high speeds for
long distances. We don't have the blistering heat here that you do in AZ,
but the asphalt does get extremely hot during the long hot days of summer.
I've done a little shopping on line, and there isn't much difference in
price, so I'm going with regular trailer designed tires - just have to wait
for another paycheck!

Bass Wishes from South Florida!
Jack
http://www.bassguidesoftware.com

Jack,

I just bought new trailer tires for my trailer. I replaced Goodyear
Marathons with Goodyear Marathons because the other big name in trailer
tires is Carlisle...and there were plenty of Google search hits that
Carlisle tires are not good. They are cheaper than the Goodyears, but
do not last...that was the general consensus.

FWIW
BD