Most Humane Way to Clean Fish

Old November 18th, 2005, 01:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default Most Humane Way to Clean Fish

I used to know an older fella (passed away now) would would literally fillet
his catch of panfish alive. i.e. *never* cut off the head. The fish went
from stringer to cleaning table and immediately into the bucket, still alive
but without their flesh. Now that was pretty disgusting.

Old November 18th, 2005, 01:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Barry,
As I mentioned, know your audience. One, 99% of the folks here are
catch and release 99% of the time. You figure how many we keep. Two,
trout don't have scales worth worrying about so we don't scale them.
Three, old item that trout fishermen who do keep their catch use is
called a priest. Small club used to stun and kill the fish
immediately. Four, we don't carry two differing bags of ice (one with
and one without water) out on a stream as we are often miles from any
vehicle.
So, your ranting, raving only serves to make you look more foolish than
you already are. Joined Mensa when I was 16. Joined Tabla too. Gave
it all up when I found that the vast majority of the folks didn't have
the sense God gave a goose. The one's with sense left too. So, shut
up, learn and move on.
Cheers
Frank Reid

Old November 18th, 2005, 01:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

riverman wrote:

Well, soupsandwich, for starters most of us here are catch and release
fisherman. Secondarily, when you are standing up to your balls (its
just an expression, don't get your panties in a knot) in a river,
'lifting a finger to get a bucket of ice for the fish' is laughable.
Thirdly, I don't keep a scaling board hanging off of my fly fishing
vest. Fourthly, being the guy who CAUSED the poor fish family to have
to hold sunday services for its poor departed cousin, it seems rather
incongruous to also be the one who dons surgical gloves and does fishy
mouth to mouth and brings flowers to ease its pain.

All I know about fly fishing is that you need little hairy things
called flies. I didn't have catch and release fisherman or wading in
mind.

How many fish do you think die of old age, peacefully in their sleep?

I don't know. I'm just trying to make things easier for the ones on the
boat with the fisherman who caught them.

Do they make electrocution lures that electrocute only the fish that's
caught? That would be a little unsportsmanlike, but that wouldn't
bother me so much for food fishing if it worked well. Or some kid of
electrocution spear.

Old November 18th, 2005, 01:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Frank Reid wrote:
Barry,
Small club used to stun and kill the fish
immediately.

I referred to that early on. About 10 years ago, I asked on Compuserver
how I can find fish that were caught by someone who clubbed them as
opposed to just letting them suffocate, but nobody responded. I learned
about those clubs from a fishing show. The guy said that it actually
bothers some people to club the fish. I thought it was rare until now.

Old November 18th, 2005, 01:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote in message
ups.com...

All I know about fly fishing is that you need little hairy things
called flies.

It isn't so much a matter of need as it is the fact that if you're out
there, you get 'em.

I didn't have catch and release fisherman or wading in
mind.

Or much of anything else, for that matter.

How many fish do you think die of old age, peacefully in their sleep?

I don't know. I'm just trying to make things easier for the ones on the
boat with the fisherman who caught them.

Maybe you could make formal introductions. That's always helped a lot in
social encounters in my experience.

Do they make electrocution lures that electrocute only the fish that's
caught? That would be a little unsportsmanlike, but that wouldn't
bother me so much for food fishing if it worked well. Or some kid of
electrocution spear.

A firecracker tucked well into the mouth works pretty well......and it's
much simpler (and cheaper) than fancy electrical devices.....not to mention
the bother of batteries or the very real risks associated with running a 440
line from shore. Then too, a .44 to the back of the head (.357 will do in a
pinch.....well, for panfish, anyway) rarely fails to do the job quickly and
with a minimum of fuss. Um.....DO remember to take along a bilge pump!

On the other hand, why not simply take the path of least resistance? If the
metaphysical angst of all these traumatized fish (and let us not forget all
of those other finny, feathery, and furry little beasties with......um,
shall we say 'proscribed lives'?) is just too too much for you to bear, why
then you can make it all go away in a flash.....so to speak. Just hold that
..44 real steady......turn it around.......and squeeze. Don't Jerk!
Squeeeeeeze. Nice and easy. Lights out. End of the world. Tie score all
the way around.

Wolfgang
to sleep......perchance to dream.....

Old November 18th, 2005, 02:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

You know, I've been convinced of the error of my ways.

Anyone know where I can get Lidocaine-impregnated hooks? I intend to
dip them in Betadine before I cast them, just to help with the healing
process. And I will only tie flies from materials harvested from
free-range animals, who died gently in their sleep. And I'll only use
floatant and other chemical materials from companies that refuse to do
animal testing. The tippet and leader material must be biodegradable,
and all labor for my gear, clothing and materials will be from
countries that do not have sweatshops, and have honored the UN
Declaration of Human Rights. I'll stop swatting mosquitoes, but use
Skin-so-soft instead. I'll ensure the gas in my car that I use to get
to the stream was from US fuel reserves, the car is a Hybrid that gets
at least 30 mpg, but I only use it for journeys in excess of 10 miles
(errr, I mean 16 kilometers) when I can't ride my bike, take public
transport or walk, and I will only drink american beer.

--riverman
Well, I might slip up on the beer thing.

Old November 18th, 2005, 02:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"I used to know an older fella (passed away now) would would literally
fillet
his catch of panfish alive. i.e. *never* cut off the head. The fish
went
from stringer to cleaning table and immediately into the bucket, still
alive
but without their flesh. Now that was pretty disgusting."

Yeah, Klaus Barbie. I've heard of him.

--riverman

Old November 18th, 2005, 02:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Wolfgang wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I didn't have catch and release fisherman or wading in
mind.

Or much of anything else, for that matter.

I doubt that ANYONE here believes that. Certainly nobody who matters.

Maybe you could make formal introductions. That's always helped a lot in
social encounters in my experience.

Maybe you should re-read the replies in this thread. There's nothing
remotely formal about it. If my posts don't apply to the fisherman
here, they're still fishing related. Maybe people should pass on the
information instead of calling me sandwich names.

As for riverman's comments below (if you're reading this by date),
you'd think I was asking people to actually go out of their way for
something. Just put some freaking ice in the water and you could
prevent the pain of suffocation, or club the fish. That's all I'm
saying. Actually, I wasn't even saying anyone should do that until I
was attacked. I was just mentioning that someone said it works.

Old November 18th, 2005, 03:11 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Frank Reid wrote:
Joined Mensa when I was 16. Joined Tabla too.
Gave it all up when I found that the vast majority of the folks
didn't have the sense God gave a goose.

How were the rest of 'em as far as staying upright? I mean, maybe yer
brains make you fellers top-heavy. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Old November 18th, 2005, 03:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Okay, these were the guys that would be your friend because you had a
hydroponics set-up in your attic. The hydroponics stuff, i.e. the
technical side, was really bitchin.
Hmm, we had one guy that was a tackle on the football team. If we ever
mentioned to anyone that in reality he was truely smart, he'd give you
an atomic wedgie.
Frank Reid