Knot question....

Old June 14th, 2011, 06:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
riverman

Default Knot question....

Apologies for posting this on this particular day, but this is time-
ended...

I'm tuning up my 8-wt for a trip, and tying on new 15-lb leader. But
as carefully as I am with tying my nail knot, the sheath of the fly
line keeps tearing loose and stripping the leader off. This knot has
to be solid enough to hold a very large fish: is there an good
alternate knot for the line-leader connection, or some hints from
folks to make the loops in the leader not cut the sheathing on the
line? You salmon fishermen probably know some tricks....?

Thanks

--riverman
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
D. LaCourse

On 2011-06-14 01:13:27 -0400, riverman said:

Apologies for posting this on this particular day, but this is time-
ended...

I'm tuning up my 8-wt for a trip, and tying on new 15-lb leader. But
as carefully as I am with tying my nail knot, the sheath of the fly
line keeps tearing loose and stripping the leader off. This knot has
to be solid enough to hold a very large fish: is there an good
alternate knot for the line-leader connection, or some hints from
folks to make the loops in the leader not cut the sheathing on the
line? You salmon fishermen probably know some tricks....?

Thanks

--riverman

Google is your friend.

d;o)

Old June 14th, 2011, 12:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson[_3_]

"riverman" wrote in message

I'm tuning up my 8-wt for a trip, and tying on new 15-lb leader. But
as carefully as I am with tying my nail knot, the sheath of the fly
line keeps tearing loose and stripping the leader off.

Consider attaching a permanent leader butt of mono of 2/3 the
diameter of the line tip.. I still use Maxima for this purpose,
about 0.025 inch diam. which is fairly stiff (desirable) but
flexible enough to make a secure nail not. (Finer mono, e.g.
15 lb. BS or 0.015" diam. is likelier to cut into the line
coating.)

Experiments may show how long a permanent leader butt
suits your personal casting style. Mine are about 30" long.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old June 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jun 13, 11:13*pm, riverman wrote:
Apologies for posting this on this particular day, but this is time-
ended...

I'm tuning up my 8-wt for a trip, and tying on new 15-lb leader. But
as carefully as I am with tying my nail knot, the sheath of the fly
line keeps tearing loose and stripping the leader off. This knot has
to be solid enough to hold a very large fish: is there an good
alternate knot for the line-leader connection, or some hints from
folks to make the loops in the leader not cut the sheathing on the
line? You salmon fishermen probably know some tricks....?

Thanks

--riverman

An Albright knot would work, but it wouldn't be as smooth through the
guides.
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jun 14, 5:26*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:

Consider attaching a permanent leader butt of mono of 2/3 the
diameter of the line tip.. * I still use Maxima for this purpose,
about 0.025 inch diam. which is fairly stiff (desirable) but
flexible enough to make a secure nail not. *(Finer mono, e.g.
15 lb. BS or 0.015" diam. is likelier to cut into the line
coating.)

Good advice; however, a supple butt section is better than a stiff
one. The reason is pretty simple: any stiffness in the leader will rob
the cast of energy when the the loop of the cast reaches it. The loop
"tries" to bend the stiff section, and the energy that the bending
consumes is lost.
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:12 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Wayne Harrison

"riverman" wrote

alternate knot for the line-leader connection, or some hints from
folks to make the loops in the leader not cut the sheathing on the
line?

line to leader: three turn clinch; into that "noose" tie a four turn
improved clinch in the leader. work very carefully to tighten both ends as
evenly as you can.

no charge, as usual, from
yfitons
wayno

Old June 14th, 2011, 09:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"riverman" wrote in message
Apologies for posting this on this particular day, but this is time-
ended...

I'm tuning up my 8-wt for a trip, and tying on new 15-lb leader. But
as carefully as I am with tying my nail knot, the sheath of the fly
line keeps tearing loose and stripping the leader off. This knot has
to be solid enough to hold a very large fish: is there an good
alternate knot for the line-leader connection, or some hints from
folks to make the loops in the leader not cut the sheathing on the
line? You salmon fishermen probably know some tricks....?

Thanks

--riverman

I'm also a fan of adding a butt section to the end of the fly line and then
using a blood knot to attach your leader to the butt section. I generally
run about 18 - 20 inches of butt section myself.

It’s also much quicker when you are having to change a leader next time
around.

I use something similar to this:
http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html

JT

Old June 15th, 2011, 12:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Jun 14, 10:12*am, "Wayne Harrison" wrote:
"riverman" wrote

alternate knot for the line-leader connection, or some hints from
folks to make the loops in the leader not cut the sheathing on the
line?

line to leader: *three turn clinch; into that "noose" tie a four turn
improved clinch in the leader. *work very carefully to tighten both ends as
evenly as you can.

no charge, as usual, from
yfitons
wayno

Classic Wayno, bless his heart.

But don't do it, Myron. It's ****ed up. Albright knot.

When I arrived in the Seychelles the guides looked at the nail knot on
my Giant Trevally reel and declared it woefully inadequate. Indeed,
pathetically inadequate. One guide made a knot that exceeds my ability
to describe. It served me well.

Old June 15th, 2011, 12:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Jun 13, 10:13*pm, riverman wrote:
Apologies for posting this on this particular day, but this is time-
ended...

I'm tuning up my 8-wt for a trip, and tying on new 15-lb leader. But
as carefully as I am with tying my nail knot, the sheath of the fly
line keeps tearing loose and stripping the leader off. This knot has
to be solid enough to hold a very large fish: is there an good
alternate knot for the line-leader connection, or some hints from
folks to make the loops in the leader not cut the sheathing on the
line? You salmon fishermen probably know some tricks....?

Thanks

--riverman

The problem you describe most often occurs when the leader and line
are pulled against each other before the leader wraps are ABSOLUTELY
tight around the line. Upon finishing the nail knot you should pull
both ends of the leader as hard as possible ( even to the extent of
using a pliers on the short end) before trimming the leader and line.
Another help is to thread the leader up through the middle of the line
for about 3/8" before tying the nail knot over the threaded portion.
Also for an 8wt line,a short section o 20-25' as others have described
- the same stiffness as the line - will give more satisfactory results
than a thinner leader.

Bob Weinberger DuPont,WA
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob[_2_]

On Jun 14, 4:29*pm, Bob wrote:
[...]

20-25# test vice 20-25'.