And speaking of bait.....

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:28 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

Default And speaking of bait.....

Any squirrel hunters out there? When last we looked at the
literature, squirrel tails were, if not all the rage, then at least a
perennial favorite for tying many a classic streamer pattern.

But how you gonna get the little devils within range? Well, bait,
obviously.

But the woods are chock FULL of bait! How ya gonna tempt them away
from all the natural goodies they're already keyed in on?

Well, if we were talking about pigs, doughboys or stevies, it'd be a
no-brainer. But squirrels are mammals.....they got brains and stuff.
Smallish brains, to be sure.....but brains nevertheless.

So?

So their brains are closely linked to a sense of smell which is, in
turn, locked in on a sort of racial memory.....or somegoddamnthing.
Bottom line is that they like nuts. And what they like best of all is
walnuts, hazelnuts, butternuts and.....wait for it......CHESTNUTS!

Seriously. Ask anybody who has planted chestnuts in the past couple
of years. Ask how the baby trees are doing......and why not.

"Sacre bleu!," you say....."where can i get me somea thet ther bait
and what's it gonna cost me??!!"

At your mailbox and the effort of saying "me too" and providing an
address and quantity, is the short answer.

That's it.
That's all.

Seems we got a bumper crop of all of the above coming in this year.
Need to a find a good home for the younguns. Unfortunately, we have
neither the means nor the interest necessary to distinguish between
good homes and other varieties. The brats will be shipped to any
address the U.S. postal service can find.....dog help us every one.

So....."green"?.....interested in saving a species?,.....the
"environment?"....."the planet?". Interested in eating something you
grew yourself and NObody else on your block has ever
imagined..........let alone seen or tasted?.....interested in leaving
mother earth a marginally less repulsive place than you found it and
have spent the vast majority of your life making it?

giles
you know where to find me.
Old July 25th, 2011, 03:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jul 24, 7:28*pm, Giles wrote:
[...]

I got 10 trees growing on my back deck as we speak. 2 are smallish
and will go down to "the farm," my friends property where he's
covering the prairie with trees from the Arbor Day Foundation which is
about 20 miles down the road in Nebraska City (yes, that was a
sentence). You get 10 trees just for joining (they'll ship as part of
the deal). You can go down there and pick up seedlings fairly cheaply
too.
And thank you again.
Frank Reid
(you gotta watch the brothers on Swamp People. They be squirrel
hunting fools, emphasis on the fools.)
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jul 24, 9:22*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
On Jul 24, 7:28*pm, Giles wrote:

[...]

Hm.....

o.k., that leaves 8 (old math.....never did quite get the new variety
iff'n ya know what i mean). Where be they?.....or where going?

(yes, that was a sentence).

Never doubted it for a minute.....well, not quite, anyway.

Incidentally, 8 is precisely the number that Becky and I planted (with
the prodigious assistance of her 6th or so grade science teacher a few
days ago at the Burlington (WI) School forest a few days ago. Wayne
had all of the plots thoroughly prepped (roto-tilled, two-3 gallon
containers of water, and squirrel-proof caging) upon our arrival.
Wayne has, presumably, done this before.

You get 10 trees just for joining (they'll ship as part of
the deal). *You can go down there and pick up seedlings fairly cheaply
too.

Well, ****, I got them equalled.....at least.

And thank you again.
Frank Reid

de nada. how many this fall?

(you gotta watch the brothers on Swamp People. *They be squirrel
hunting fools, emphasis on the fools.)

I am, personally, quite indifferent to squirrel hunting. Squirrel
killing......well, that's another matter entirely.

giles
thirty feet with a blow-gun?.....toast. guaranfukkinteed.

btw......the sooner in the ground, the better......squirrels, trees,
or what have you.
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Frank Reid © 2010

On Jul 24, 7:28*pm, Giles wrote:

[...]

Blow guns are fun. By the way, think the statute of limitations on
that event has passed.
Frank "I can legally own up to that one" Reid
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
BJ Conner

On Jul 24, 5:28*pm, Giles wrote:
[...]

Squirrels are a little better than Racoons and possums at crossing
roads.
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Jul 29, 12:33*am, BJ Conner wrote:

Squirrels are a little better than Racoons and possums at crossing
roads.

My own experience bears this out. I suspect there are two major
reasons for the difference. Squirrels are, on average, a good deal
more sprightly than racoons or opossums.....and most of their (self-
induced) crossings occur in daylight as opposed to those of the latter
two groups. Makes a significant difference.

On the other hand (in this neighborhood, at least), the correct answer
to the enquiry about the squirrel's rationale for crossing the road is
that that's where I tossed the nasty thieving little fukker's corpse.

giles
who, while perhaps not a certified "organic" tree farmer, in any
strict sense, has never (not yet, anyway) resorted to bona-fied
unnatural means of pest control.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:38 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

On 8/1/2011 6:38 PM, Giles wrote:

On the other hand (in this neighborhood, at least), the correct answer
to the enquiry about the squirrel's rationale for crossing the road is
that that's where I tossed the nasty thieving little fukker's corpse.

now, that's funny!!

...i've been trying to trap/kill several of the *******s that chewed
their way into and out of my attic, without success. the wire gauge i
used was inadequate to exclude or cage, and the wood slats in the roof
peak vent were simply appetizers for their gnawing. they seem to chuckle
and grin like a cheshire whenever i pass beneath their perches...
fukkers indeed!

giles
who, while perhaps not a certified "organic" tree farmer, in any
strict sense, has never (not yet, anyway) resorted to bona-fied
unnatural means of pest control.

tree rats/attic vermin have requested an unnatural end to their
existence in my organic opinion...

jeff (even the 104 degree temps have no effect on them...they are the
only reason i've tolerated the cat next door, which is quite adept at
infrequent, but satisfying, squirrel removals)
Old August 3rd, 2011, 01:02 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Giles

On Aug 1, 7:38*pm, jeff wrote:
On 8/1/2011 6:38 PM, Giles wrote:

[...]

Cats vs. squirrels?

Hm.....

Reminds me of sports, religion, and politics. I don't much care about
the score.....so long as they all die.

giles
who, yes, IS aware that squirrels do (however inadvertently) plant
billions of trees a year, worldwide, and that cats CAN be ground up
(and otherwise mechanically and/or chemically treated) to produce some
presumably useful substance or other.