Wiring Question

Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Scott Davis

Default Wiring Question

I need to do a little rewiring and before I do, I would like some feedback
from the rest of you.

Do you run all your accessories (livewell pumps, GPS, locators) off the
cranking battery, or off the 1st bank of the trolling motor batteries? Or
do you split the accessories up?

Thanks,

Scott....

--
Scott Davis
Chetek, WI

Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

"Scott Davis" wrote in message
news:1115122641.94fce1f86c089279ead95490861793f2@t eranews...
I need to do a little rewiring and before I do, I would like some feedback
from the rest of you.

Do you run all your accessories (livewell pumps, GPS, locators) off the
cranking battery, or off the 1st bank of the trolling motor batteries? Or
do you split the accessories up?

A lot depends on how you use your boat. I use my livewell pumps quite a bit
and thus, don't want them draining my starting battery. There's little more
frustrating than fishing all day, hitting the key to come back to the
landing and.....

NOTHING!

On my prior boats, I had removed everything from the starting battery except
the outboard itself. Everything else was powered by the trolling motor
batteries.

Then, the worst that could happen would be my fishing day was shortened a
little bit, but I always knew that I had juice to start the outboard and get
home. But with a 24 volt system, that never happened either.

On my current boat, it came with a system that has 4 batteries, three were
originally for the trolling motor, one for the outboard. I changed the
trolling motor to a 24 volt (the 36v MotorGuide died) and decided that I'd
hook the "unused" battery to the starting battery. On this boat, all of the
accessories are still on the starting system, but there's two batteries to
draw from. And, all 4 batteries get charged by the on-board charger when
I'm done fishing anyway.

I'd run all of your high draw items off the trolling motor batteries. You
won't be stranded that way.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Old May 3rd, 2005, 01:44 PM
Scott Davis

Thanks Steve. I also have 4 batteries, as I have a 36 volt trolling motor.
I think your logic sounds too good to ignore. I'll wire the accessories to
the 12volt(1st) bank.

Thanks again....

Scott...

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote in
message ...

Old May 4th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Bob La Londe

"Scott Davis" wrote in message
news:1115122641.94fce1f86c089279ead95490861793f2@t eranews...
I need to do a little rewiring and before I do, I would like some feedback
from the rest of you.

Do you run all your accessories (livewell pumps, GPS, locators) off the
cranking battery, or off the 1st bank of the trolling motor batteries? Or
do you split the accessories up?

Most of the guys around here go with three group 31? batteries. (The ones
bigger than the group 27s anyway.) They hook everything to the cranking
battery, and the ground for the trolling motor goes to the cranking battery.
Then they connect the other two up in series with the trolling motor. Every
one I have talked to claims they can run hard for two days running a 109
MotorGuide in the main river current for a good part of the day and never
have a problem.

Dave Willhide runs a proffessional guide service and that is the way his
boat is rigged up. Mac McDermott fishes all the local club tournaments even
the ones I don't fish, and thats the way his boat is rigged. My ABA partner
Hammer fishes most of the local club circuits and one full pro circuit, and
that's the way his boat is rigged up, and my new Bass Cat came rigged that
way.

I know it seems risky to me too, but they are running like that and fishing
two or three days a week every week.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old May 4th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Todd Copeland

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Most of the guys around here go with three group 31? batteries. (The ones
bigger than the group 27s anyway.) They hook everything to the cranking
battery, and the ground for the trolling motor goes to the cranking

battery.

What purpose does connecting the ground on the deep cycle to the cranking
battery serve? Without a complete circuit I don't see the reason.

Old May 4th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Scott Davis

Todd,

The system Bob described uses the cranking battery as the first bank of the
3 for the 36 volt trolling motor as well. The system starts with the
cranking battery. Everything (accesssory wise) is wired to it. Then, in
addition to that, a lead is run from the positive cranking battery terminal
to the negative terminal of bank two. Another from bank two positive to
bank three negative. Then the trolling motor get 36 volts from positive on
bank three and ground on cranking battery.

Scott...

ink.net...

Old May 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Bob La Londe

"Scott Davis" wrote in message
news:1115207341.69149c86771febe580d2365c7cf1f820@t eranews...
Todd,

The system Bob described uses the cranking battery as the first bank of

the
3 for the 36 volt trolling motor as well. The system starts with the
cranking battery. Everything (accesssory wise) is wired to it. Then, in
addition to that, a lead is run from the positive cranking battery

terminal
to the negative terminal of bank two. Another from bank two positive to
bank three negative. Then the trolling motor get 36 volts from positive

on
bank three and ground on cranking battery.

Scott...

Exactly. Motorguide actually published a wiring diagram for doing this. I
never saw it and I heard it was wrong... LOL, but they don't have a problem
with it. I have heard that Minn Kota will void your warranty though if you
use the cranking battery as part of your trolling motor circuit. I can't
imagine why. Electrically there is nothing wrong with it.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old May 5th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Todd Copeland

"Scott Davis" wrote in message
news:1115207341.69149c86771febe580d2365c7cf1f820@t eranews...
Todd,

The system Bob described uses the cranking battery as the first bank of

the
3 for the 36 volt trolling motor as well. The system starts with the
cranking battery. Everything (accesssory wise) is wired to it. Then, in
addition to that, a lead is run from the positive cranking battery

terminal
to the negative terminal of bank two. Another from bank two positive to
bank three negative. Then the trolling motor get 36 volts from positive

on
bank three and ground on cranking battery.

..... scratches head.... alright.... this will take me awhile...