More from Yellowstone

Old June 21st, 2004, 05:44 PM
Larry Linthicum

Default More from Yellowstone

The weather has started to warm and I'm in a quandry about where to
spend my time.

The overcast and rainy weather was perfect for the Firehole, but today
is cloudless.

Last year the Madison IN YNP was too hot by early July and it, the
Firehole and the lower Gibbon were shut down to avoid stressing the
fish. THIS year, the Madison in the park hasn't really even started
to produce bugs and the locals I talk to say it's because it's still
too cold. The next few days may be dynamite there as it wakes up.

The ranch section of the HFork has been VERY slow so far. Some people
think the fish just aren't there, having suffered greatly from last
winter's draw down. I tend to think it is still a little too cold,
myself, and will drive down to fish it every third day or so, it could
get awesome soon. When it does, I'll move my trailer to the springs

Today, I think I'm going to go to the lower Madison below Reynolds
bridge and chuck and duck ..... this is pentance for having spent too
much on fly tying materials at Blue Ribbon. I'm told that the
catching is very good now in that area, with nymphs, but sinker and
bobber is always a form of punishment, imho, for some sin, somewhere,
sometime, against the fishing gods. g

A few new logs on my site but I've been playing tourist some and
taking a few days off
----------
http://www.kimshew.com/flyfish/logs.php
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:51 PM
Big Dale

Larry wrote:snip.. this is pentance for having spent too
much on fly tying materials at Blue Ribbon.

Thanks for the series of reports and your logs. I know what you meen about Blue
Ribbon. Just received an e-mail from a friend in Arkansas who shares a soft
hackle addiction. He was just back from Montana and he thanked me for sending
him to Blue Ribbon Flyshop. He also dropped a hundred bucks on soft hackle
materials.

Big Dale
Old June 21st, 2004, 10:59 PM
Jeff Miller

larry - don't know if you're following threads or not, but do you know
anything about streams in the lee metcalf wilderness area, specifically
those in the cabin creek wildlife management area just north of quake lake?

jeff

Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:34 AM
Jeff Miller

thanks kevin. that's one of the streams i noted...but i was also
looking at all the water and small lakes west and northwest of beaver
creek. looks like a good road runs north by beaver creek, and then a
bunch of smaller forest roads all over the place.

btw... does anyone have a garmin gps map chip for that area?

jeff

Kevin Vang wrote:

In article FVIBc.6894$HN5.38@lakeread06, d
says...

larry - don't know if you're following threads or not, but do you know
anything about streams in the lee metcalf wilderness area, specifically
those in the cabin creek wildlife management area just north of quake lake?

Be@ver Creek is a pretty good cutthroat storm, from where it flows
into Quake Lake all the way up as far as you want to hike.

Kevin