Economic Stimul-by-us

Old March 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

Default Economic Stimul-by-us

In an effort to do our little bit to get the economy going we bought a new
truck today.

The old one lasted 18++ years, 276,585 miles and is actually still going
strong although it's well past beat up and ugly

The new one is a Dodge 4 door short bed 4X4 with the Cummins diesel, it has
truly awesome power and I can't wait to hook up my trailer and head over the
pass.

However,

I feel very poor now :-(

Old March 13th, 2009, 01:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:09:46 GMT, "Larry L" wrote:

In an effort to do our little bit to get the economy going we bought a new
truck today.

The old one lasted 18++ years, 276,585 miles and is actually still going
strong although it's well past beat up and ugly

The new one is a Dodge 4 door short bed 4X4 with the Cummins diesel, it has
truly awesome power and I can't wait to hook up my trailer and head over the
pass.

However,

I feel very poor now :-(

Congrats. FWIW - and speaking only from relayed info, not personal experience -
you might wish to look into one of the after-market "chip programmers." From
what I've heard, the new models are "tuned up" to provide _significantly_ more
HP than the older models (as are all US diesel PUs in the "power wars" - IMO,
really, an advertising "numbers" war with little real-world application), which,
as you probably know, isn't always a good or even necessary thing with many
diesel engine apps. I have a friend who has a 90s model Dodge with the Cummins
and he says he gets 25-28 MPG, even when pulling his camper. He looked into
replacement with a new model, but didn't because of the fuel mileage difference.
IAC, and IMO, regardless of MPG, you can't go wrong with a diesel.

TC,
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
JT

"Larry L" wrote in message
In an effort to do our little bit to get the economy going we bought a new
truck today.

The old one lasted 18++ years, 276,585 miles and is actually still going
strong although it's well past beat up and ugly

The new one is a Dodge 4 door short bed 4X4 with the Cummins diesel, it
has truly awesome power and I can't wait to hook up my trailer and head
over the pass.

However,

I feel very poor now :-(

Nice!

I'm guessing you got an amazing deal given the economic situation? They have
some great offerings in the area, but I can't get my bride on board for a
new one although my '04 still purrs like a kitten.

As RD mentioned, the chips/programmers are really nice and will add major hp
and additional fuel economy. With the programmers (like Bullydog) you can
really dial these motors. The only concern would be the potential of voiding
the warranty.

Congrats,
JT

Old March 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

wrote

Congrats. FWIW - and speaking only from relayed info, not personal
experience -
you might wish to look into one of the after-market "chip programmers."
From
what I've heard, the new models are "tuned up" to provide _significantly_
more
HP than the older models (as are all US diesel PUs in the "power wars" -
IMO,
really, an advertising "numbers" war with little real-world application),
which,
as you probably know, isn't always a good or even necessary thing with
many
diesel engine apps.

Yeah, I looked at used trucks pretty hard just because the new ones get less
mileage.

This brand new ( '08 ) puts out 194% more HP then my '92 Cummins and 163%
more torque !! The power wars are another example of how the Big 3 have
let themselves ( and U.S. ) down .... I'd have gotten a new truck years ago
IF mileage had improved at those rates .

I kinda wanted to get the 5.9L engine not this new 6.7L but similarly
equipped used rigs ( say '06) with 80,000 miles on them were only a very few
grand less than what I paid for this new one. There are really good
incentives available right now on 'in stock' new trucks, employee pricing,
5K ( more at Ford) rebate, 0% financing .... all an effort to lower
inventory in tough times. Plus the new one has 36,000 mile bumper to
bumper and 100,000 mile Cummins warranty, so I went brand new ... trying to
balance all potential cost/ benefit factors. I don't drive a lot these
days, well less than 1/4 of what I did pre-retirement travelling to run
field trials, so a couple miles/gallon won't add up to such a large yearly
figure.

It came with a DVD that specifically warns against after market chip mods
that increase power and says they 'may' void warranty. As for de-tuning
chips, I'd guess they would have that same problem with Cummins/ Dodge,
although not with the same real world logic. However, if I am too
disappointed with the mileage I might investigate, since this thing really
does have very nearly too much power.

Larry L ( who has become one of those ol grandpas you youngsters all hate
.... the ones going the speed limit ( maybe even less ;-) and taking the time
to look around as you tailgate us, cursing, and rushing .... BUT, who, on
the 5 mile drive home from the dealer looked in his mirror to wonder how all
those people got so far behind, then looked down to see he was doing 78 in a
55 zone, .... a right foot trained by a '92 Cummins is too heavy for this
new one ( plus this is SO much quieter the speed sneaks up on ya ))

Old March 13th, 2009, 06:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Outdoors in Oregon

On Mar 13, 8:07*am, "Larry L" wrote:
wrote

[...]

I've never really understood the fixation on HP/Torque.

If you had the choice between two vehicles:

1.0x HP/Torque and 1.5x MPG

vs

1.5x HP/Torque and 1.0x MPG

Is there some level when HP/Torque is just sufficient for
what you need? I would have thought for 99% of people
we would have long since hit that point.
- Ken
Old March 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"Outdoors in Oregon" wrote

I've never really understood the fixation on HP/Torque.

If you had the choice between two vehicles:

1.0x HP/Torque and 1.5x MPG

vs

1.5x HP/Torque and 1.0x MPG

Is there some level when HP/Torque is just sufficient for
what you need? I would have thought for 99% of people
we would have long since hit that point.
- Ken

Well, as a guy that loaded 900 lbs of dog and probably another 700 of misc
in the bed and THEN hooked up the travel trailer and headed over Donner
Summit, several times a year .... I understand wanting adequate 'ability' in
a truck .... but

truth be told

I don't have a clue what torque really is and I can imagine it actually
taking 350 healthy horses to pull my truck, either g

Truck buyers seem to fall into two broad categories .... those that have
almost zero real need for a truck, but think they are 'way cool' in one ...
and people that actually need a truck to do truck work. Oddly, I'd bet
many bucks that it's the first group, not the second, that has fueled the
'power wars' that have misguided Detroit lately.

All that said .... when I'm towing the trailer to Montahoming this year I'm
going to be glad to have the extra muscle ..... NOT, because I really want
or need to go faster than the old truck would take me .... mainly because
it's such an impatient world out there now, especially on two lane roads,
that 'comfortable pace' is likely to trigger extremely stupid behavior in
those behind you ... even if they only have to be back there 3 miles .... so
I 'try to go fast as I can' on two lane roads more than freeways !!

Larry L ( who thinks everyone should be required to tow a heavy trailer 200
miles in a wide variety of terrain and traffic before being licensed to
drive ANY vehicle ... )

Old March 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

On Mar 13, 4:50*pm, "Larry L" wrote:
( who thinks everyone should be required to tow a heavy trailer 200
miles in a wide variety of terrain and traffic before being licensed to
drive ANY vehicle ... )

And they should be required to know how to back one up before being
allowed to tow one forward.

Joe F.
Old March 13th, 2009, 09:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Larry L

"rb608" wrote in message
On Mar 13, 4:50 pm, "Larry L" wrote:
( who thinks everyone should be required to tow a heavy trailer 200
miles in a wide variety of terrain and traffic before being licensed to
drive ANY vehicle ... )

And they should be required to know how to back one up before being
allowed to tow one forward.

Joe F

True

reminded me of the first half dozen paragraphs of this

http://www.kimshew.com/flyfish/displ...php?log_id=295

Old March 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:07:01 GMT, "Larry L" wrote:

wrote

[...]

From everything I know, "may" actually means "you can bet your sweet ass it
will." However, the more modern types are not "chips," but rather, little
computers that plug into the OBD port under the dash - in fact, they look a lot
like the larger OBD scanners you now see everywhere from auto parts chain stores
to Wal-Mart to Horrible Freight...actually, that's not fair - some of the stuff
at Harbor Freight is actually decent enough for the price, I'm just not getting
under anything heavy supported by HF jackstands or anything like that.

IAC, if/when you take it to the dealer for _ANYTHING_, you restore the factory
programming, and when you pick it up, you re-program your custom settings. And
the ones I have and are familiar with are not "power-up" or "power-down," they
will set whatever you want, from torque curves to shift points to.... - IOW, you
can use them to tune for mileage when not towing and tune for whatever you are
towing.

As for de-tuning
chips, I'd guess they would have that same problem with Cummins/ Dodge,
although not with the same real world logic.

However, if I am too
disappointed with the mileage I might investigate, since this thing really
does have very nearly too much power.

I regularly pull all sorts of _VERY_ heavy stuff (in pickup terms, even 1-ton)
and all of the new (post- about 2003 or so) have WAY more power than all but a
VERY small handful of folks need.

TC,

Old March 14th, 2009, 03:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
CalifBill

"JT" wrote in message

"Larry L" wrote in message
[...]

Some of the dealers may not be selling as they will not deal. Looking for a
new vehicle for wife. Looked at a Vensa at the local Toyota dealer.
Sales guy says window sticker is the price. I told him I do not pay window
sticker during good times, why would I when no one is buying and Toyota lost
$40mm.