Odd change in drag performance

Old October 18th, 2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

Default Odd change in drag performance

Up on the Salmon River, I fished for two full days; and I noticed a
perceptible difference in my drag performance between the two days. On
the first day, all was well as far as I remember. I hooked up with a
good number of big fish, and the drag gave line grudgingly but smoothly
when necessary. On day two however, it was different. I'd hook up
and the drag would hold as before; but once a certain threshold was
reached, it seemed to give line in huge chunks. It seemed as though a
fish would never gain by inches. Once he broke the initial friction,
it was almost as if the reel would free spool for a second or two. It
was still smooth, but the kinetic friction seemed significantly less
than the static friction. I found myself palming the spool to shorten
the runs.

Whatever happened, happened overnight. Any idea what could cause this?
Moisture on the cork? I'm pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that I'm
not imagining this.

Old October 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 18 Oct 2006 08:36:25 -0700, "rb608" wrote:

Up on the Salmon River, I fished for two full days; and I noticed a
perceptible difference in my drag performance between the two days.

Change your dress and get a new girdle...

On
the first day, all was well as far as I remember. I hooked up with a
good number of big fish, and the drag gave line grudgingly but smoothly
when necessary. On day two however, it was different. I'd hook up
and the drag would hold as before; but once a certain threshold was
reached, it seemed to give line in huge chunks.

Oooooh....I thought this was a new juggling, um, act...have you ever
heard of "The Aristocrats?"

It seemed as though a
fish would never gain by inches. Once he broke the initial friction,
it was almost as if the reel would free spool for a second or two. It
was still smooth, but the kinetic friction seemed significantly less
than the static friction. I found myself palming the spool to shorten
the runs.

Whatever happened, happened overnight. Any idea what could cause this?
Moisture on the cork? I'm pretty sure (but not 100% sure) that I'm
not imagining this.

What kind of lube, if any, are you using _ON THE REEL_? Could it be
getting gummy or otherwise causing a situation? If that isn't a likely
cause, change the drag disk and see what happens. If you want to check
for moisture in the current one, hold it underwater for a coupla-few
minutes, wipe the surface, and put it in an small, airtight container
with a color-changing moisture controller, like the red-to-blue
dry-in-the-oven devices on cracker/cookie/biscuit tins. Then put the
container in as warm a place as you can find, like in direct sunlight
and see if there is any color change. If the air is humid, there could
be a initial reaction as the dryer absorbs the moisture in the air
before any in the cork. Or, if you happen to have a lumberyard nearby
or know a home inspector, and they have the right type of gauge, ask
them to moisture-gauge it.

TC,
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Tim J.

rb608 typed:
[...]

Phew! The subject had me worried, Joe. I thought maybe you gave up fire
juggling for a different entertainment venue altogether.
--
TL,
Tim

Old October 18th, 2006, 06:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rb608

Tim J. wrote:
Phew! The subject had me worried, Joe. I thought maybe you gave up fire
juggling for a different entertainment venue altogether.

g Nope, I haven't given up hackle for a boa (not that there's
anything wrong with that.)

Joe F.

Old October 18th, 2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

On 18 Oct 2006 10:03:04 -0700, "rb608" wrote:

Tim J. wrote:
Phew! The subject had me worried, Joe. I thought maybe you gave up fire
juggling for a different entertainment venue altogether.

g Nope, I haven't given up hackle for a boa (not that there's
anything wrong with that.)

Yeah, but you weren't rushing out to get poor little Ali her drink
fixins, either...

TC,
....and yeah, there's something really, really wrong with that...

Joe F.

Old October 19th, 2006, 04:52 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

A good cleaning has cured all of my problems in this area...except for the
top posting..

john

oups.com...