Whats going on: Undersized catches kept

Old February 15th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Chris

Default Whats going on: Undersized catches kept

I am beginning to get really damn annoyed.....

Down at Mornington Pier today (Port Philip Bay) and the typical contingent
from the Asian community, (I am not being racist) were down there hauling up
bucket loads of squid with about 95% of their catch not even coming in a
bulls roar of 3 inches... Everything is kept...

The typical contingent of Greek and Italians were there landing every other
thing that swims and bucketing it legal or not.... and from what has been
caught off there lately not very much is legal.

I mean keeping pinkies barely scraping the 20cm mark is unfair....

I mean typical in the way that I see the same group of people every time I
go there.... When the rangers come to check licenses and catch sizes you see
a stream of them leave magically just before as if the "knew" or
something... Duuhhhhhh...

Frankston is not much better....

One or two rangers a pier.... if they want to police it... get a good 8 to
10 plain clothes rangers to walk the pier first... and have them at the
start of the pier checking every bucket leaving....

With the authority to confiscate gear... they would easily be able to supply
Rex Hunt with enough tackle for a few seasons....

It's no wonder the fishing off the piers is getting more and more
pathetic.... only a handful of us throwing back the ones that were
undersized.

Annoyed,

Chris.
(Fishing Frankston & Mornington 1 - 2 times a week when the weather is
good.)

Old February 15th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Scotty

dont you have a fishwatch number in Victoria? (we do here in South Aus) Call
them when you see something illegal and they can come and check it out and
at worst they have a record of what youve seen and may prompt them to patrol
more often...give them a call now to air your feelings, its never too late.
They cant always make it, but getting descriptions and rego numbers helps
them out as often many are repeat offenders and known to fisheries.

just a thought...

Old February 16th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Kittbagg

"Chris" wrote in message
[...]

I have known our new australians to have a mincer and to mince the fish
straight after catching them (esp undersize) so that fisheries etc cannot
prosecute them for having undersize fish.

I agree with you Chris, I also expect other fishermen to respect the limit.

Knowing our asian neighbours love of photos maybe you could ask to take
photos of them and their catch - with some known size object to guage the
lack of size?

Kittbagg

Old February 16th, 2004, 10:56 AM
buzz

Hi all
I agree that this is an increasing problem and needs to be stomped
on if you ever want to catch a feed off a pier anywhere. There is a
Fisheries office in Mornington (ph.59754779), I'm sure that they would
respond if you gave them a call say from the pier on a mobile if you see
them at it.
BB

Old February 22nd, 2004, 08:48 AM
D Walford

buzz wrote:

Hi all
I agree that this is an increasing problem and needs to be stomped
on if you ever want to catch a feed off a pier anywhere. There is a
Fisheries office in Mornington (ph.59754779), I'm sure that they would
respond if you gave them a call say from the pier on a mobile if you see
them at it.
BB

133474 is the number given on fishvictoria's web page to report such
illegal activity.

Daryl
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:05 AM
ASIS

good on ya mate at laeast you follow rules and regs like many anglers, I
agree about tha asian community theyr the worst but not all ethnic ones are
like that every time i ve been fishing at these places the fish caught by
ethnics is all legal size.

you have to do wat my 75 yold uncle does when we go fishing at these
places...he walks up to asians drinking a stubby o 2 asks em if theyb catch
anything and tries to look in ther buckets and then walks back and
deliberat like accidental manages to kick their buckest over the edge.. LOL
u gotta see em rantin n raving in their lingo gees it hilarious

good luck

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com