ot casting reels

Old January 1st, 2004, 02:02 PM
Gone Angling

Default ot casting reels

Are casting reels better for landing larger fish. I notice that on spinning
reels a large fish will pull the line out beyond the drag setting and almost
damage the reel. Why is that casting reels might be better. I use spinning
reels exclusively.

Old January 1st, 2004, 04:34 PM
RichZ

Gone wrote:
a large fish will pull the line out beyond the drag setting and almost
damage the reel.

What in the hell are you talking about?

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old January 1st, 2004, 06:07 PM
Gone Angling

Richz
The fish pulls so hard that it is faster than the drag setting will allow. The
line does not break but the bail flies up momentarily and the reel goes into a
back reeling condition (ie brake setting not on). It is hard on the reel and i
think that this very situation caused damage (wired) to my spirex 2000. Please
refer back to my original posting if you care to answer my question.

Old January 1st, 2004, 06:34 PM
Bob

"RichZ" wrote in message
Gone wrote:
a large fish will pull the line out beyond the drag setting and almost
damage the reel.

What in the hell are you talking about?

To much New Year's cheer, I think.

Cast far
Bob

Old January 1st, 2004, 11:31 PM
RichZ

Gone wrote:
the bail flies up momentarily and the reel goes into a
back reeling condition (ie brake setting not on).

I STILL don't know what the hell you're talking about.

The bail flying open pretty much means you're fishing with a piece of crap
instead of a decent reel.

The fish pulling line faster than the drag can allow means you're fishing
with a piece of crap instead of a decent reel.

The reel going into backreel mode without you disengaging the antireverse
means uhm... see above.

Further, none of these three things can happen in conjunction with the
other. You can't backreel with the bail open, if the bail's open the line
isn't pulling against the drag, and if the handle's spinning backwards, the
drag doesn't come into play. Your whole question makes no sense, so it's
impossible to answer.

But that's nothing new for you, is it?

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old January 1st, 2004, 11:58 PM
Gone Angling

Richz
I said the bail jerks open momentarily. It then closes but it is quite a
jerking action. The fish pulls harder than the drag will allow and the reel
goes into a backreeling mode. I don't have the anti-reverse engaged because the
line would snap and i would surely lose the fish, The reel is a shimano spirex
2000

Old January 2nd, 2004, 12:44 AM
RichZ

Gone wrote:
I don't have the anti-reverse engaged because the
line would snap and i would surely lose the fish,

If you don't have the anti reverse engaged, then you should backreel, and
not rely on the drag at all. Pretty near every fish I've caught on spinning
tackle in the past 30 years or so has been caught with the anti-reverse
disengaged, and the drag tight. Whether I'm using 2 pound test or 20
(actually, I very rarely use anything over 6 lb on spinning gear), whether
the fish are crappies and perch, bass, pike, steelhead, brown trout,
atlantic salmon, bluefish, stripers, even bonito. That's the way I
play/fight fish. The drag never comes into play, except for grudgingly
giving a hair on an exceptionally hard hook set.

As far as the bail snapping open, that can ONLY happen if the line's not in
the line roller, the bail's badly bent or not completely closed, or the
bail spring is shot. The geometry of the bail/roller/pivot is such that if
the line is in the roller, the harder you pull on it, the harder it holds
the bail closed.

RichZ©
www.richz.com/fishing

Old January 2nd, 2004, 12:57 AM
Acee

I think it is a conundrum. It is likely an operator problem. Rich is
somewhat right about the reel, in my opinion, it is a Spirex and it likely
is the one with a rear drag. I have two of them and do not use them except
to provide them for the young inexperienced people to use because they have
the trigger.
Al Crumrine

Old January 2nd, 2004, 12:57 AM
Jerry Barton

Rich, where ever you are at the moment, turn around very slowly and just
BANG YOUR HEAD into the nearest wall.
;-))