Flint River Bass Club Tournament - Lake Hartwell

Old April 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Flint River Bass Club Tournament - Lake Hartwell

Saturday - April 5 - Day 79 - six days missed

Flint River Bass Club Tournament - Lake Hartwell, first day fishing 7
AM to 4 PM.

Finally found the boat ramp this morning - not easy. The lake map
helped some. Water is ten feet low but it started raining as we put
the boats in. Supposed to rain all day.

I had stopped at a tackle store on the way to the ramp and the owner
said be real careful due to low water. I was looking for a Suddeth
crankbait in the Sexy Shad color - guy at the Regional has suggested
it on Hartwell. He was out of them. I had quit buying Suddeth since
none of the last five or six I bought would run right but was assured
those problems had been solved. I bought a white/blueback Suddeth to
try.

Since it was raining at launch I idled across to the nearest rocky
point and started throwing the Suddeth - it would not run right. Got
out a rod with a #8 Shadrap on it and made two casts - a solid 2
pounder sucked it in on the second cast and I landed it - wouldn't
zero today at least. One in the boat at 7:20.

Worked that point and two near it until after 9:00 - no more bites.
Went across to a shallow cove with some docks and made a few casts -
too shallow. Went into the next creek and fished the very back of it -
nothing. The little creek looked great with standing timber in the
middle and a bridge, riprap and brush in the back. As I idled out I
crosses something strange on the GPS and circled - looked like an old
RR crossing with pilings. Did not stop - another boat was on the other
end of it and I saw them catch a keeper. There is a BFL going on today
but have seen only about a dozen boats so far.

Decided it was time to run to a small creek I caught fish in during a
Top Six about 15 years ago. That was a rainy day and the bass ate
trick worms. Got there and realized the little ditches I had fished
then were high and dry. Started throwing the shadrap working down the
bank.

A aluminum boat idled past me and the guy in front started casting
near a dock - never put trolling motor in water and guy in back never
got up. Not sure if they were bass or crappie fishing. They stayed
only a few minutes. I got to the dock and saw lots of Christmas trees
on a flat clay point by the dock. Cast a jig head worm to them and
caught a 14 inch keeper - two in the boat at 10:40 - much slower than
I had hoped.
The aluminum boat had idled about four docks up and stoppped for a few
more casts but did not stay long. As I worked up the bank got steep
and it was real rocky between two docks. I got a bare keeper by the
first one then a solid 14 inch fish by the second one, both on the W-3
Tackle jig head and black Zoom Trick worm. Four in the boat by 11:00.

Worked a couple more docks and the bank got flat. Hit some brush but
nothing. Ahead on a steep clay bank were five blowdowns with their
tops in the water. I got close enought to cast to the first and got a
solid thump on the jighead - a good 2 pound keeper. Limit in the boat
at 11:10.

The next tree produced another keeper - could cull the little one. six
in the boat at 11:20 Talked to two guys working the other side of the
creek - they were fishing a club tournament and had four or five in
the boat, all on crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Fished the next three trees without a bite and then circled back - got
another solid 2 pound keeper in the next to first tree. Culled again -
seven keepers at 11:30. Guys across from me said looked like a good
one - I said I had a limit but needed a kicker.

A few casts later to the first tree got a good hit and landed a 4
pounder on the jig head - eight keepers and a good limit in the boat
at 11:40 - felt pretty good.

At noon I got another small keeper - too small to cull. Nine keepers.

Worked the area until 3:00 but no bites. Decided to run down near
weigh-in to be close. Went in to the creek with the strange structure
and idled around. Didn't see any fish on it but did see the tops of
some bamboo with leaves in 14 feet of water just off it. Someone had
stuck them in the ground standing up. Stopped and cast the jig head to
it and got a thump.

Set the hook on a heavy, strong fish. The kicker I really needed! It
fought hard but I got it away from the brush and coming toward the
boat. Grabbed the net and started pulling it up and saw it - it was a
six pounder, but was a blue cat! That was my last bite.

At weigh-in my biggest bass weighed 5 pounds but were were weighing
with hand scales since the tournament director did not show up or make
arrangements to get the scales to the lake. We had to weigh the bag,
too, which added about a pound to the weight, I think.

My five weighed 13.02 for second. Leading was 5 at 14.07 and he had
one that weighed 6 pounds. Second place was 5 at 9.05 and fourth was 4
at 8.01.

Headed back to the motel to dry out and get ready to do it again
tomorrow.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old April 12th, 2008, 11:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Sunday - April 6 - Day 80 - six days missed

Flint River Bass Club Tournament - Lake Hartwell, second day fishing 7
AM to 2 PM.

Ran straight to the blowdowns in the back of the creek but as I feared
the muddy water had covered them. At least it was not raining. Water
was still 57 degrees. Started working out and got to a flat point and
a keeper bass hit my spinnerbait right at the boat - one in the boat
at 7:30.

Fished the rocky bank hard then got to the brush and caught another
pound keeper on the jig head. Two at 8:00. Saw one swirl back on the
point and picked up a Series 5 in Sexy Shad and cast back across it.
Caught my best of the day, about a 2 pounder. Three in the boat at
8:10.

Fished back and caught a throwback - first of the trip. Had seen no
boats so decided to work the other side. Some good wood in the water
but I got only one throwback.

Jumped back across to the brush and got another keeper. Four in the
livewell at 10 AM. At 11 I got a bare keeper off the steep rocky bank
- a limit but did not want to weigh in the little one. Kept working
back and forth and caught two more throwbacks then set the hook on a
keeper that came to the top and came off. First one I had lost - real
frustrating. Fish were much smaller today - lots of throwbacks.

Fished back to the blowdowns at noon and got a hit. Visions of a four
pounder danced in my head until I set the hook and jerked an 11 inch
bass out of the water.
At noon the sun came out and it got hot. The water temp jumped up -
hit 60 before I left.

At 1:00 I thought about leaving and trying the deep brush but decided
to stay here until quiting time. Cast to the brush around the first
dock and one picked it up - and I broke my line setting the hook. Had
been using 15 pound PLine Flourocarbon since it was cloudy and water
was a little stained.

Picked up another rod rigged with 12 pound line and started using it.
Looked at my watch - time for three more casts. On the next to last
one got a thump and landed a good keeper. Six keepers - could cull the
little one. Nothing on the last cast.

At weigh-in my five weighed 8.01 giving me 21.03 and second for the
two days. The leader the first day had five at 9.14 giving him first
for two days with 10 at 23.21. Third was 18.16 and fourth was 17.10.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Old April 13th, 2008, 02:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
John B

Congrats on a couple great finishes Ronnie! Sounds like you have been
keeping busy!

John B

Flint River Bass Club Tournament - Lake Hartwell

Group: rec.outdoors.fishing.bass Date: Sat, Apr 12, 2008, 3:05pm (CDT-2)