Flint River Tournament

Old August 11th, 2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Ronnie

Default Flint River Tournament

Sunday - August 10 - Day 206- six days missed

Flint River Bass Club - August 10 Tournament - Jackson Lake - 6 AM - 2
PM

No clouds AM, some blew in about lunch time. Cool (for August) morning
- some patchy fog. Got hot fast. Water temp 86 degrees, green clear
color, some breeze

We took off an partner and I ran a very short distance to a rocky
underwater ridge right at the dam - my favorite place to fish this
time of year. It is an old railroad spur they used to bring in stuff
for building the dam, runs out to deep water and ends.

First pass I threw a jig and pig and partner threw a worm. No bites.
Second pass we both threw crank baits and he got a keeper spot. We
worked it five times and both missed hits on worms. Then at about 7:15
I worked all the way to the dam. As I cast to the point right at the
drum line I told my partner that rocky point looked great but I had
never caught a bass there - and one bout pulled the rod out of my
hand. I landed a solid keeper largemouth on a jig head worm.

We worked back to the ridge then about an hour later back to the rocky
point. I got right on the drum line and cast over it. Felt a thump and
set the hook on a solid bass. Fought hard - was telling my partner to
reach over the line of drums to net it and I was trying to get the
boat close. Then I realized my foot was not on the button on the foot
control. Finally got the boat to the line and he netted a 3.5 pound
spot.

We stayed there until almost ten and both missed some more hits -
several times I reeled in half worms, think they were small spots.

Ran about five miles up to a creek where I wanted to fish a brush pile
in deep water but a boat was sitting on it. Fished a rocky point then
pulled over to a nearby dock with rocks and brush on the outside bend
of a creek and cast to it. As my jig head worm sank I realized my line
was going sideways and set the hook on my third keeper - 12.5 inch
spot. Three in the boat at 11.

We worked that bank some without a bite. Got ready to leave and I
turned the boat out toward deep water and saw stuff on the bottom from
9 to 16 feet deep. Threw my jig head to it and drug it along and got
another 12.5 inch spot. Four at 11:15

We threw out a marker and made dozens of casts - not a hit. Even saw
some fish schooling on top over where we were fishing but we could not
get a bite.

By now it was hard to stay in the boat - seems we were on the one spot
on the whole lake where skiers and tubers liked to make a turn. We ran
about ten miles up a river where there are big mud flats. Figured we
could fish the river channel but would not be bothered by too many
skiers. We were right, not many boats but a bunch of skidoos in that
area.

First place I stopped was a ledge/point where the river swings in by a
cove. Saw lots of stuff in 9 feet so backed out and first cast got a
12 inch spot. Limit at noon but no weight.

We fished up there till time to go in - no more bites. Partner kinda
disgusted - he had only one fish. Told him he should never get the
first fish and put pressure on me!

At weigh in there were three limits. Winner had 8.42 pounds. My five
were 8.04 for second and my 3.58 pound spot was big fish. Third was
five at 7.39 fourth was four at 5.36. Pretty tough day - another club
was weighing in and one guy had four at just over ten pounds but he
had one just under six. He had been throwing big cranks up the river
above me. Second place was five weighing just under 8 pounds.

Going back to Jackson two weeks from last night for my other club
tournament - at night. Gonna be cooler.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com